right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Struggling With College Math

newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 2127 replies46 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited September 11 in Community Colleges
I’ve been attending a CC in Northern NJ for 3 years, after attending La Salle U for a year. I have to take two remedial math classes. I just passed the first one, and I’m now taking the second class after one withdrawal (couldn’t pass tests).

I was in sped math from grades 4-12. We moved a lot, and was homeless for a while during high school. I attended an alternative high school, due to bullying. We then became homeless, & moved as often as twice a week. We then moved to the low-income city where I live now. The math teachers would literally take the tests for us, & called it “correcting”, because none of could pass. I’m starting to feel as if I’m at a 5th-6th grade level in math.

My CC allows two tutoring sessions per week. It’s hard to get to these, because I have an almost two-year-old. I still go, but the tutors are hard to understand, due to speed and language barriers. I can’t afford a “real” tutor as I’m from a very low-income household.

I don’t want to sound like I’m making excuses, but I’ve now failed the first test three times. We get unlimited retakes (MyMathLab), but we’re not supposed to fall behind. I also wonder if I have dyscalculia based on what I’ve read online (mixing up numbers, etc). The rest of my grades are decent to great. I know very few college graduates as is, & recently
local adults have been telling me how they dropped out of college due to math...I don’t want this to be me!!

Does anyone have any advice?
edited September 11
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Struggling With College Math

• happymomof1happymomof1 29579 replies172 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You need to meet with the tutoring team and with the counseling center on your campus. Find out if you can get more support from the tutoring center on a schedule that better meets your needs. Ask the counseling center to help you find the community resources that will ease your child care issues, and start the formal dyscalculia screening.

This is not a wheel you need to invent. The resources exist at your college to help you finish your degree program. The counseling center's whole job is to help you find and then access the services that you need.

Wishing you all the best!
    · Reply · Share