right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Leaving Out I Went to a 4 Year

ssgl92ssgl92 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hi guys, I’m in a bit of a pickle. So I transferred from a 2 year college to a Private University where I guess my college screwed me over and didn’t tell me that my Financial Aid didn’t go through? My tuition and everything that I owed went to collections where I owe $21k before they even release my academic records. I’m not even sure what to do. I want to take it upon myself to achieve an education even if it means that I have to go back to a 2 year. I don’t plan on using financial aid and plan on paying out of pocket. I want to just go back to the 2 year that I transferred from and just try to finish up my associates and call it a done deal but I also want to leave out that I went to a 4 year because my record is on hold. I feel like I’m trapped and I need advice.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Leaving Out I Went to a 4 Year

  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 6108 replies97 threads Senior Member
    You are going to have to work out a plan to pay off your debt with the money you were intending on using to pay for your new school. Schools won't release a transcript if there is a balance due. Sometimes schools will release it if there is repayment plan in place.

    There is the National Clearinghouse database that contains all of the schools a person attended, so if you apply elsewhere and don't send all prior transcripts, it's quite possible your new school will find out.

    Are you able to pay off the school debt you owe?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31021 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Sadly, you need to sort out the debt at the 4-year institution before you do anything else. You need to submit that transcript to your CC in order to be a candidate for an associates degree.

    It looks like something very bad happened with your financial aid at the 4-year. You need to work with the financial aid office there, and see what can be sorted out.

    Wishing you all the best!
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3787 replies14 threads Senior Member
    It seems like you might be able to go back to the two year place but didn’t you earn any credits at the private university? I would try to work with the private school to reduce the bill and then figure out repayment plan. That unpaid debt may impact you for life.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8303 replies88 threads Senior Member
    I guess my college screwed me over and didn’t tell me that my Financial Aid didn’t go through?

    I guess your college assumed that as a legal adult you would take responsibility for following up on your financial obligations. Imo that is unfair on an 18 year old, but I don't make the rules, and legally that's the situation.

    You have a transcript to be released so it seems you attended classes and got grades.

    It wouldn't have gone to collections without any notice to you.

    Start with the 4 year college and see if they will work with you to figure out a repayment plan.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity