right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

City College Dual Enrollment Class

kyotaekyotae 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hi, I am an upcoming junior in high school. Our school allows us to take courses in city college during the semester and they sent us a list of courses that allow us to get support and loaned textbooks. One course caught my attention and that is Medical Terminology I, but it said that the course credit was only for CSU only. Should I still take it even though it won't count when I apply to UCs?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: City College Dual Enrollment Class

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31204 replies504 threads Forum Champion
    edited July 31
    If you have an interest, then take the course but if you are replacing a core course at your HS for this course, I would think twice before signing up.

Also if it is CSU transferable, the grade will remain on your permanent college record so make sure you can get an A in the class.
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share
  • kyotaekyotae 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Okay, I see. Thank you! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43436 replies473 threads Senior Member
    edited July 31
    It's a vocational class so it should only be taken if you have all 5 core classes (English, Math, History/Social Science, Science, Foreign Language) and, if aiming for the UCs, one more.
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share
  • kyotaekyotae 2 replies1 threads New Member
    What do you mean by this? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43436 replies473 threads Senior Member
    You need 5 core courses every year and, if aiming for selective admissions such as UCs or Cal Poly SLO or CS about anywhere, preferably 6 academic classes (including art/music).
    Medical terminology is typically a class for one-year certificates, it's not an academic class and it wouldnt count for college (same as Culinary Arts or Welding- they're interesting and you're free to take them but they're vocational, not academic. You take them put of personal interest but they don't count.)
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31021 replies199 threads Senior Member
    They do count in that they affect your high school GPA, and they are part of your permanent college record. Even if you never take another class at this community college, you will still need to have the transcript sent when you apply for a degree program at an accredited college or university in the US.

As far as college admissions is concerned Medical Terminology is an elective. As written above, it is not considered an academic course. For those you should have math, science, English, history/social science, foreign language each year, as well as the art/music electives needed for the CA system.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 85067 replies758 threads Senior Member
    Note that when recalculating your HS GPA for UC purposes, college courses need to be UC-transferable to get the +1 honors point.
    https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/gpa-requirement.html
    · Reply · Share