right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Withdraw or Continue My Dual Enrollment Course?

violetlakevioletlake 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hey everyone! I am currently taking a dual enrollment class as a sophomore in high school in a California Community college and the class is called English 001A. This class is part of my general education requirements and is an important course in college. I did not expect the class to be so difficult to manage, but it is. I am afraid of receiving a C, D, or F in the course and am planning to withdraw.
Is a withdrawal better than a C?
Would I have the option to NOT tell college admissions the grade I received in this dual enrollment course?
Do I have the option to retake the course if I get a C when I enter college in California?
Do I HAVE to mention that I withdrew from the course in my college applications?
Do UC's and CSU's see what grade I got in my dual enrollment course or if I withdrew from it if I DO NOT mention this class in my application?
Would this C, D, or F really impact my initial college GPA when I enter college as a freshman?
Do I have the option of not letting this course affect my college GPA when I do enter as a freshman in college?

These are a lot of questions, and I really hope I get an answer to at least some of these. I have never used College Confidential, so I am really hoping to get the best out of this website! Thank you all in advance!
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Withdraw or Continue My Dual Enrollment Course?

  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    If the course is UC or CSU transferable, you are required to list the grade on your college applications and also send the college transcript. If you are within the drop period for the class, then I would take the W. UC’s and CSU’s do not care about W’s unless you have an excessive amount but the W still needs to be reported on your college applications.

    Any grade for a UC/CSU transferable course taken during the summer prior to 10th through the summer prior to 12th will be included in your UC/CSU GPA. Also any college course taken in HS will be on your permanent college record so it could impact Graduate school later.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 31063 replies199 threads Senior Member
    edited October 22
    You will have to include this college transcript whenever you apply to any accredited college or university in the US or for a job that requires all of your transcripts. So, yes, even with a W this transcript will follow you for the rest of your life.

    But, you also need to know that any college or university you apply to in the future (or any potential employer) that sees a W in a first year college course that you took while a sophomore in high school as a BAD THING, is a place you don't want to be associated with anyway. First year college courses are for people who have already finished high school. Many of them will find those classes hard! You have enrolled in a class that is three years ahead of what normally is expected for you, so it makes perfect sense that it is hard for you. Whether you should withdraw now or work to pull up your grade and stay in the class is really up to you. Speak with your professor. Get their advice about this. They will be able to advise you on your best pathway.

    The rules about grade replacement vary from one institution to another. You don't know where you will ultimately study, so don't base your decision now on that.

    Wishing you all the best.
    edited October 22
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    At least for the UC system, retakes are allowed for D’s and F’s only.

    For the CSU’s, some schools may allow a C- retake.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3951 replies96 threads Senior Member
    Will you be able to move into an English class at your high school? Most colleges require four years.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    At @Groundwork2022 makes a great point. If you withdraw, what are your HS options?
    · Reply · Share
  • violetlakevioletlake 1 replies1 threads New Member
    @Groundwork2022 @Gumbymom @happymomof1
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I really appreciate this help. I am already taking an English course in my high school along with my dual enrollment English 001A course. I am only taking dual enrollment to get used to college early, increase my English proficiency, and earn college credits as well. I am currently trying to communicate with my professor and talk to a counselor as well. I will make a decision based on what they both say along with your tips. For now, I am planning to try my best and continue with the help of my professor and make sure I receive higher than a C-. Thank you all again and I wish you all the best!
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity