Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Slate.com: Why Obama Thinks Community Colleges are the Key to Fixing Higher Education

usdenickusdenick Registered User Posts: 295 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in Community Colleges
New article on Slate.com about Obama's new plan to inject $12 Billion into the US Community College system.

Why Barack Obama thinks community colleges are the key to fixing higher education. - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

"The plan is designed to correct decades of federal neglect. 'Too often, community colleges are treated like an afterthought—if they're thought of at all,' Obama said in his speech. Right now, somewhere between one-third and one-half of American undergrads are at community colleges, depending how you count. Yet community colleges receive only 20 percent of federal funding. 'We've been so focused on the quality and reputation of our lead institutions' at the expense of community colleges, says Thomas Bailey of the Community College Research Center at Columbia University."
Post edited by usdenick on

Replies to: Slate.com: Why Obama Thinks Community Colleges are the Key to Fixing Higher Education

• ALFALF Registered User Posts: 1,140 Senior Member
    Those stats are even worse in our state (greater percentage of students, lower percentage of funding).
  • LogicWarriorLogicWarrior - Posts: 3,670 Senior Member
    Community college tuitions are typically in the $2,000-to-$5,000 range.

I spend far less than that each year even when you count books. There's a fee hike incoming but I seriously doubt it will reach that level.
  • usdenickusdenick Registered User Posts: 295 Junior Member
    "Those stats are even worse in our state (greater percentage of students, lower percentage of funding)."

Although I wonder how accurate those statistics are... I, for example, attended two community colleges and didn't graduate from either one. I still got the necessary credits I needed and will be attending UC Berkeley in the fall. Since I didn't officially graduate, would I be considered a "community college dropout"?
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,538 Senior Member
    ^ No, transfers are not counted as drop outs.

Logic, you are lucky. My bf spends about $5,000 a year at our CC (er would if he didn't have full pell).
  • KyotoQuartersKyotoQuarters Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    community college students outside california pay more that $26/ was $20 a unit. and out of state students pay more too.
This discussion has been closed.