Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Change username

Replies to: Change username

• excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    edited January 31
    Hello everyone. How are you all today? Hope you're all well. @CCadmin_Sorin

I am aware that it is very rare for someone to get a name change on CC, but I noticed that a lot of people who desire a change due to privacy issues get one. I was a rising freshmen when I created this account and didn't realize how much my username gave my identity away. Now that I am a rising sophomore, I realize that I should change my username, but am aware that you can not change your username and you can not make another account. Is there any solution to changing an username due to privacy issues?

Sorry if this is a silly or ridiculous question. I just wanted to try. Everyone on here is probably asked this question very, very often, and I really am sorry I am asking something like this again.

Thank you and have a good day!
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • MomToGabeMomToGabe Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin
    I'd like to slightly alter my username as well. Please PM me if this is possible. Thanks!
  • bloompbabloompba Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin hello! i was wondering if you’d be able to help me change my username for privacy reasons?
  • Disneydesire8Disneydesire8 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin I understand it is hard to receive a name change, but I was unaware of how my username would actually show on the website, and would like to change it to something that doesn’t include information of my real name. Thank you!
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,395 Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin - I think it’s great that you allow exceptions to the username change due to privacy concerns. However, it appears that their old names are now saved for posterity in this thread. After each request, you respond with a reply tagging them with their old name.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    I’m sorry to constantly bother the admins on here, but is there any way a change in username can happen for me? I described my situation above, but if it can not be done, I would like to know. Thank you.

Have a good day!
  • potato1568potato1568 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin I need your help to change my username, the site won't let me log in anymore. It says f(g(x)) is an invalid username. Please help, thank you.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,161 Community Manager
    @f(g(x)), I've responded via PM.
  • freshcabbagesfreshcabbages Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin Hello, my username as of right now is freshcabbages and I made this account without thinking of privacy concerns. I posted a lot of personal information regarding my admission chances with my school data/academic information. This username is something I use regularly and I just now realized that I could be googled very easily. I am asking to see if there is any way I could get my username changed so as to not jeopardize my privacy. I am on the internet quite a bit with that username and it scares me for my posts on here to be linked to it. I am quite active on social media with an online presence and happen to encounter a few individuals here and there of which would be very concerning if they got my information. I hope you understand, and I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may cause. I know username changes are rare, however, I am desperate.
    Please pm me if it is possible. Thank you very much.
    @freshcabbages, I've responded via a PM.
  • ahr99ahr99 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin Hi, can I please change my username? When I made my account I chose to write my name, but i'd like to change it for privacy reasons. Thanks
    @axsha715, I've responded via a PM.
  • kingsejong123kingsejong123 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin I'm also sorry but I forgot that I accidentally put a piece of personal information into my username and would it be possible to change my username? I just created this account today.
    @kingsejong123, I've responded via a PM.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,171 Senior Member
    Just curious....when one signs up for a CC screenname...is there some huge red banner that says “choose your screenname wisely. It can’t be changed”.

Then they could give examples. Don’t use your name, don’t use personal information, don’t use something that you might regret later for any reason.

I feel for the admins who have to field these requests because screennames weren’t carefully considered when folks joined.
This discussion has been closed.