Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Pop Up Spam

1222324252628»

Replies to: Pop Up Spam

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 53,677 Senior Member
    So I have do download another app to block spam?
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,290 Super Moderator
    Some of us are finding that it works.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 26,065 Senior Member
    I can go a few weeks without it. Agsin. For me, closing CC, then going to another tab and deleting the url for the offender (two appearances) usually does it. Then reopen CC. But I know this hasn't helped many of you. And I'm Android.

I wonder if the tech savvy kids on CC have this volume of trouble- and what they do.
    I would rather not have to block ads as in the past when it did it blocked me from reading some other sites, so I uninstalled the ad blocker. The fix should not have to be at the user end.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,368 Senior Member
    I do. I just don't go on cc on my phone anymore. I've been on here significantly less as a result.

I shouldn't have to labor because a website can't get it together. Plenty of other things to do on my phone.
  • TTdd16TTdd16 Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    edited March 29
    @jym626, agreed. I've installed it and have added the urls that @vonlost listed to see if that helps. But it seems ridiculous that we have to find a fix for the problem when that should be CC's job. I would like to uninstall the ad blocker since this is literally the only site that causes me a problem. How about an update, @CCadmin_Sorin?
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,290 Super Moderator
    edited March 29
    In iOS when a legitimate site complains that you’re using an ad blocker, you can select “Reload Without Content Blockers” to continue (tap and hold the reload icon).

It’s not clear whose job it is to fix this; it may be technically impossible for CC to fix without turning off ads (which would close it down).

Recall (in a previous post) that another board has the same complaint.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 32,421 Senior Member
    It has been really bad the past few days. @CCadmin_Sorin iPhone 6 running iOS 11.2.6.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,368 Senior Member
    Then I wouldn't go on that board either :)

• chercheurchercheur Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    The Amazon ad is back for me - iPhone 8 using Safari. It pops up every single time I try to read CC on my phone.
    Crossing fingers that ios 11.3 has some magic potion! ........so far..... so good (but its not been too long of a test yet...)
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 32,421 Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin Amazon one is back today. IPhone 6 running iOS 11.2
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,516 Senior Member
    It is maddening!