Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Pop Up Spam

1242526272830»

Replies to: Pop Up Spam

• CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Roulette wheel here also. Hope the fact that I could finally get here to post means it has been blocked/fixed.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,806 Senior Member
    I’m also getting the roulette wheel...on iPad Air 2.

Annoying...and it happens over and over and over.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,785 Senior Member
    edited May 13
    If you don't clear history (specifically, the one or two offending links,) it sits there ready to reload.
    I had this repeat problem yesterday because when I clicked chrome, CC came up in mobile mode, not the "full site " I always opt for on my android. No idea why this shift.

Close CC. I hit the button that shows all open tabs. Sometimes called the "recents" soft tab. Bottom of my phone face, with the back and home buttons. Close CC there. Go to another open tab to see history.

Not perfect yesterday. I tried a few times, powered off my phone, then restarted. History didn't have the offenders. I opened CC, immediately clicked to full site and was ok.

Clunky explanation, yes. But we're all trying to blindly work through this with no geeks to guide.
    Good luck.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,789 Senior Member
    I am getting “this site is trying to load pop up ad”or something like that. I just click on “don’t allow.” I’m on an IPad Air.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 28,529 Super Moderator
    A reminder: If you're willing, installing free 1Blocker Legacy on iPhone/iPad has successfully blocked these pop-ups. Turn “Block Ads” on and set “Block URLs” to “.\.top” and “.\.adnxs.com”? Add more suffixes as you see them. This should work on any site that serves ads, not just CC.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,318 Senior Member
    I finally got around to installing on my iPhone after months of recurrences and so far it is working.