Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Pop Up Spam

Replies to: Pop Up Spam

• Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,573 Senior Member
    The pop-up stopped me because it was every four or five page views if not more frequently.

But, I haven't gotten it since Saturday.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 23,734 Super Moderator
    Thanks, sorry life isn't so easy everywhere.
    With all due respect, the popups are a risk to security. You have to close the browser and they are clear traps for information. I'm well aquainted with places where life isn't easy. Separate issue than internet security and wisdom to avoid the site on a mobile device for a few days.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,631 Senior Member
    I was unable to close the page with the popup, so I had to power down each time I tried to get on CC.
    I would like to offer a thanks to the IT team for dealing with this and asking for screenshots.
    @GnocchiB, can you set your browser to open a page in a tab instead of a new page?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,501 Senior Member
    9:16 pm...just got the Amazon card pop up...again. First time in a few days.

Why does this keep happening again and gain.

@CCadmin_Sorin

IPad Air, using safari to access CC.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,631 Senior Member
    @vonlost not sure how to do that on my iPad
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 52,142 Senior Member
    It just happened to me again this morning. Tha Amazon prize one.
    @GnocchiB, go to Settings/Safari/General and turn on Show Tab Bar. Then, e.g., if you're looking at Latest Posts, touch and hold (long press) the link you want to open. Then tap on Open in New Tab. If you get a pop-up, then tap the tab's X in the tab bar and it should disappear. If it's not a pop-up, tap the X when you're done reading the post and you'll end up back in Latest Posts. I hope this works for you and helps!
  • DeniseCDeniseC Registered User Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    Just got Amazon pop up. Followed by screen about security. Screenshot and sent.
  • DeniseCDeniseC Registered User Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    Three times today. Frustrated.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 1,624 Community Manager
    edited June 28
    Guys, thank you for sending us screenshots, they have been very helpful. Our Ad Network is working diligently to weed out the bad ads that result in the pop-ups. They've taken into account all the info/screenshots that you provided to try to locate the source and have made additional tweaks to try to reduce the amount, but are also in the process of adding a new product that should catch the ones that we can't track down. We appreciate your help and patience as we try to find a permanent fix. Thanks!
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,342 Senior Member
    Thanks...I had a couple goods days and now they are back :-( but thanks for continuing to fix.