Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What is this "best answer" stuff?

Replies to: What is this "best answer" stuff?

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,876 Senior Member
    That makes no sense for this type of forum. In most cases, there is no one "best answer."

Are answers with the most likes being pulled to the top? That's going to make the threads difficult to follow. If that's the case, I'm going to have to quit "liking" posts.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,723 Senior Member
    Here's another thread I started on the issue. Not a lot of color but it sounds like an unintentional glitch occasionally happening from some changes made elsewhere on the site.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/community-forum-issues/2022088-whats-going-on-with-this-thread-gremlins-or-new-enhancements.html#latest
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,823 Senior Member
    Oops didn't catch that, dos.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,723 Senior Member
    edited October 8
    The more complaints about it the better because we don't want it to go down that path. :)
  • patsmompatsmom Registered User Posts: 4,204 Senior Member
    Whose bright idea was this? Who gets to decide which is the best answer? What if a better answer comes along down the line? I foresee bad things here....
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,007 Senior Member
    It's been explained by mods that this new accepted answer thing is due to the the FAQ feature. Anytime anyone asks a question, (which is every single time, right?) it seems to default to thinking its a FAQ question, or something like that.

I agree with @bodangles, the "Best Answer" idea is not good because it will put off other, possibly much more knowledgeable people from providing potentially better answers, and it ruins the continuity of the thread. I also thought of Yahoo answers, and we all know how credible that is.

Your subjects are speaking, @CCadmin_Sorin ;)
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,579 Senior Member
    Best Answer on Yahoo occasionally has a downright incorrect answer.

My guess is Best Answer was picked by two people marking the answer helpful.
    @Sportsman88, I'd mark your post "helpful" but then it might leapfrog to the top of the thread and disturb the space/time continuum. :)
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 1,647 Community Manager
    Guys, this should be resolved for now. We are working on turning on a new functionality for the FAQs forum. This functionality was giving the poster the option to select the type of discussion they wanted to start. It's back to normal for now until we decide on the best course of action. Thanks!
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,924 Senior Member
    edited October 9
    Regardless, if it's not a correct answer, it can't possibly be a "best," no matter if 400 vote for it.

And in this college context, there often isn't one correct answer that covers all schools or all situations.

So the point is...???
    Ive seen a lot of forums with this feature and it's usually baloney.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,889 Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin

Save yourselves some work. Leave ALL threads as discussions....like they have always been. Just leave it alone.

There are plenty of OTHER things your tech team could be doing with their time...like the app....which has been a priority since the change a few years ago...and hasn't happened....yet.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,823 Senior Member
    Please don't change them. No one wants this.

The last thing any longtime poster wants is for clueless parents and students to be able to pick their own "best answer." It's going to be wrong much of the time.
    There are plenty of frequently asked questions, but the answer that's appropriate for each poster will vary depending on the situation. If you can compile a list of all the common questions and pick the "best answers," I don't see why you'd need us. Just post a list of questions and answers. I don't think that's the kind of forum this is though. CC is a community that comes together over our morning coffee or while we're relaxing in our living rooms to talk things over. We cheer each other on when things aren't going well and celebrate each other's successes when they are. I think a "best answer" format takes away from the heart of what this board is.