Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

How much are freshman grades taken in account by colleges

AlRakimAlRakim Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hi, I'm taking 8 classes this year (1 elective, 2 APs, 2 Honors, 3 Regular - there were no other options) and I received all A's and one A- in my AP Biology class. How much do top-tier colleges such as Stanford or Harvard take in account of these grades, and do they also consider the fact that my A- was in an AP class or do they simply count up all the letters and consider the GPA?

It's mostly because I've seen crazy smart kids come out of each grade with straight A's and was wondering how much my grades right now would count.

Replies to: How much are freshman grades taken in account by colleges

• mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 9,855 Senior Member
    If you don't get into Harvard or Stanford it won't be because of the stain of an A- grade on your transcript ;-)

Look, after a certain gpa it becomes clear someone is a good student. Especially if they are taking honors or AP classes. Admission at the most selective schools is not driven by a formula where they sort in order of gpa (weighted or not). What counts is how much you are learning, what your teachers think about you (ie. recs), what you are doing with ECs, and so on. Rather than fixate on an A- grade spend your time becoming the best student you can; this pays off even if you don't get into Harvard or Stanford.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,019 Senior Member
    Yes, don't fixate on particular grades. If admissions depended on grades and classes taken, then only a,transcript would be required. You will submits lots of wonderful scores, ECs, letters of rec and so on. So assemble the best profile you can, ensure that profile has no errors and arrives safely within due dates, and send application to other schools. Maybe you will win the academic lottery and get into one of your dream school. The odds of admission are slim and will never know why you were not admitted. You can make yourself extreme!y miserable if you latch onto one tiny piece of irrelevant information like an A-. You are going to college...YOU!...what you learn in college is totally on you despite any reservations you have about class content, teaching style, tests and requirement and so on. Good news! You will never need brain surgery to insert knowledge and form new connections among brain cells and fluids.