Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tulane University is now listed as a CC Top University!

2»

Replies to: Tulane University is now listed as a CC Top University!

• VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    @NJDad68
    We of course understand that. However, there is no methodology to this. And Tulane is still ranked 40. Although impressive considering their circumstance. But I can name 10 schools that deserve the recognition more imo.
  • KimV2015KimV2015 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I am amused that Tulane is getting so much discussion on a Michigan thread. I never use the CC Top University list, but just scroll down alphabetically to find what I need.

I’m having fun imagining that the CC Top University list is generated simply by the number of times a school is mentioned on the forum. If that’s the case, then this thread certainly pushed Tulane further along.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,345 Senior Member
    Check this page KimV2015

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/cc-top-universities/

Tulane University
    0 Threads 0 Replies

"I’m having fun imagining that the CC Top University list is generated simply by the number of times a school is mentioned on the forum. If that’s the case, then this thread certainly pushed Tulane further along."

See above...
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,632 Forum Champion
    I'm pretty sure it's manually done by mods. So it goes. I don't think it really matters.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,003 Super Moderator
    edited January 14
    I'm pretty sure it's manually done by mods.
    Nope. I have no idea how it's done, but it's not by us; we don't have that capability.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 35,661 Super Moderator
    And as I said in the other thread on this subject, if mods had something to say about it, UT-Austin would be on the list! ;)
    Thanks for moving this to this area Maine Longhorn. Perhaps now Tulane can depend on its prowess to finally get a single thread started in the CC Top Universities Section. It's almost been a week now............
    Perhaps CC will realize their mistake and remove Tulane from this listing. It appears that nobody really believes that Tulane deserves this accolade.
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,632 Forum Champion
    Honestly, I'm now more curious how it happened than interested in it being changed or having any impact. So mysterious...
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,003 Super Moderator
    edited January 14
    And as I said in the other thread on this subject, if mods had something to say about it, UT-Austin would be on the list!
    Perhaps CC will realize their mistake and remove Tulane from this listing. It appears that nobody really believes that Tulane deserves this accolade.
    Actually, if this moderator had any influence, there would be no "Top University" or "Top LAC" category since nobody is ever happy in what is included/excluded.
  • NJDad68NJDad68 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Frankly, I don’t think Tulane’s status regarding its inclusion on CC’s “top university” list mattered to the almost 40,000 students who applied this year. The class is poised to have overall superior credentials to the 2017 entering class. (See, https://tulanehullabaloo.com/27262/showcase/class-2021-academically-qualified-diverse-class/). Of course, many schools deserve similar recognition, but please remember that the purpose of this forum is to provide guidance and information to applicants in a confusing, unpredictable and ego-bruising process. Let’s stick to that purpose, and students and their parents can make their own decisions based on the totality of their research, on CC and elsewhere.
  • JonTargareyanJonTargareyan Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Lol how do you even compare a school like Tulane to a school like Michigan. The two schools are just completely different from each other than comparisons become irrelevant. I'm sure they are both great schools and different people will have different reasons for choosing one over the other.
  • NJDad68NJDad68 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Agreed. Tulane and Michigan are apples and oranges. The purpose of CC is to provide but one piece, usually a very preliminary peace, of the puzzle that leads people to apply to and ultimately choose a college. We’d do well to provide information and insights and let the applicants and their parents sort it all out.
2»