Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sweet Briar College - Possible Freshman (Accepted)

SophiaMCSophiaMC Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hi all,

I have been accepted to Sweet Briar College as part of the Class of 2022. I currently attend a small college preparatory private school with about 375+ upper school students and a friend of mine from my school attends SBC as a sophomore. I am very interested in the equestrian program and like the small private school feel. I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

- What is it like to attend a very small school/women's only college?

- Are the stereotypes accurate? (ie: girls are only there to find their future husband, very snooty, equestrians dominate student population, etc...)

- What are the advantages of attending a VERY small private school over a large state school or a medium sized private one?

- What are the best things to do at SBC?

- Best SBC traditions?

- Is it very cliquey?

- Was it hard to adjust to Sweet Briar when you first came or no?

- What is the best thing about the equestrian program? (My primary interest)

- What is the party scene/Mixers with fellow brother schools/UVA like?

- What are the academics like/overall class size?

- Is it worth visiting? What should I know/be prepared for when I visit?

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

- Sophia

Replies to: Sweet Briar College - Possible Freshman (Accepted)

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,623 Senior Member
    If the women were only looking for husbands, wouldn't they have better odds at a co-ed school?
  • MsunderstandingMsunderstanding Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    We visited, not really knowing what to expect. Ended up being quite impressed.. Professors were very friendly and excelled in their areas, classes very very small - like 8 girls. It was all discussion based. That part felt very like Sarah Lawrence when we visited there. While my daughter was interviewing, I chatted to some students here & there. All seemed intelligent & friendly. D said it didn't feel cliquey to her & she's a bit introverted. She was surprised at how helpful the students seemed.
    Regular interactions/ mixers with guys schools. Girls there said the VMI guys were pretty fun! I think they do Hampton Sydney events too.
    Equestrian....they have 90(!) horses on the campus & the indoor training area is HUGE.
    We were there for scholarship weekend without having visited before. Had no idea what to expect, heard the same - it's a finishing school for rich girls seeking an MRS, cliquey, etc. BUT it didn't seem like that at all! Truly. It was welcoming, very friendly & seemed like you could excel there with all the personal attention.
    The new president is
  • SophiaMCSophiaMC Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @Msunderstanding - Thank for for your input! Were you there for Presidential Scholars? I was too but I didn't get a chance to chat w a few of the students just the competitors. Thank you!!!
  • SophiaMCSophiaMC Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @Msunderstanding - Thank you for your input. I was also there for PS but I didn't get to chat w a few of the students. I mostly talked w other prospects and appreciate the feedback. Could you possibly tell me more about the new president?