Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to PM someone

Replies to: How to PM someone

• laatziuzoenglaatziuzoeng Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I was wondering what was wrong. Good to know it's normal
  • muhammadassimmuhammadassim Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    how can i send a pm
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,886 Super Moderator
    @muhammadassim you need 15 SUBSTANTIVE posts. They can't be "OK!" "Good job!" etc. Once you've made 15 posts, log out and log in again and you can send PMs.
  • GradEdDGradEdD Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Is this still the case?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,109 Super Moderator
    Is this still the case?
    Yes
  • hopemomhopemom Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    So good to find this thread. I'm wondering how I can PM people for a little more personal help.
    Thanks the admin and everyone here!
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 3,033 Senior Member
    You cannot do so until you qualify per the ToS. But post your question. If it requires the disclosure of personal information that you do not necessarily wish to air in public, say so and invite members to PM you. It works that way. I would not encourage new members to do this often or abuse it, but I can envision situations in which it might be warranted.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,398 Senior Member
    edited March 9
    Just curious why brand new members want to immediately be able to PM folks.

IIRC, it’s against the TOS to send unsolicited PMs.

@MaineLonghorn is that correct?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,109 Super Moderator
    edited March 9
    it’s against the TOS to send unsolicited PMs.
    @MaineLonghorn is that correct?
    I'm not @MaineLonghorn , but yes, that is correct.

The site's preference is that the fora are for general discussion, and users may be more than willing to share answers here than to trade PMs. The primary purpose of the site is not a messaging center. But as @AboutTheSame says, if a user has overly identifying info, s/he can give a general outline of the situation and invite users to PM for further details with the caveat the overuse of "PM me" posts are also a ToS violation.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,537 Senior Member
    Would it reduce the number of new user questions on this topic if there were a PM button for new user that, instead of allowing sending a PM, popped up a notice like:

"You are not allowed to send private messages until you have made at least 15 substantive posts. Trivial posts to increase the post count are not allowed. However, you may reply by private message to someone who has sent a private message to you."
  • batterrybatterry Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you very much for this information. I am new to the whole "forum" thing on the internet. I do wish that CC had their information easier for a newbie to be able to figure out. Maybe it's just me! Thanks again.
  • rikesraggyrikesraggy Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you!!!
  • Asiankid10Asiankid10 Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin
    What qualifies as a 'post'? I have 13 replies and 3 threads and still can't PM.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,886 Super Moderator
    @Asiankid10, try logging out and then back in. You should be able to send messages at that point.
  • thisisphysicsthisisphysics Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Thanks for the help everyone!