Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

Replies to: Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,199 Senior Member
    ^This!
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,843 Senior Member
    I definitely notice more this year. I always pay a lot of attention at this time of year. My opinion is that it is worse than it's ever been. Yes, there are some senior posters who seem to be more vocal about it, but it seems that it's these new posters that are deliberately trying to provoke.

@skieurope , I pmed you with a list of suspicious users. I don't want to smear anyone on the open forum, just in case they are legit.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    edited April 9
    Some of those recent threads actually look like content farm articles on social media. That reminds me the fake news on FB a couple years ago. They have well engineered title to attract you to read it.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,491 Senior Member
    I've certainly been reporting more newby offenders than I remember doing in recent years.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 34,410 Super Moderator
    edited April 11
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    I think there are more this year. Just people “speaking their mind” on race & admissions more than in the past — not all are new posters.
    That part I would agree with. I can't recall having had to insert myself into so many of these conversations in past years.
    Post edited by skieurope on
    edited April 9
    Me, either! :D
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 34,899 Super Moderator
    I would say there are more "race" ****, but otherwise it's pretty typical. We are constantly dealing with "repeat offenders." That never changes!
  • MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,217 Senior Member
    I think there are more this year. Just people “speaking their mind” on race & admissions more than in the past — not all are new posters

I myself have been guilty of speaking my mind on some of these threads but I am curtailing my posts and focusing on solely being helpful.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,843 Senior Member
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 54,418 Senior Member
    This time of year does not exactly tend to bring out the best in some college applicants
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 33,420 Senior Member
    edited April 9
    It is the parents, though.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,082 Senior Member
    Re: "grievance politics"

Seems like most of that comes from the "upper middle class that does not get financial aid" being resentful of LI, 1G, URM, etc. (but not legacy, athletes, development, or celebrity relation). Usually, there is the assumption of more FA than there actually is for LI, and an exaggerated assumption of URM and/or 1G effect in admission.

But then this class probably sees mostly downward mobility for its kids. Few will move up to the plutocrat class, but there is plenty of room to fall. And more competition from those below makes it seem harder to avoid falling, if one thinks in zero sum terms.
    They're focusing their grievances on the wrong "enemy".