Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

Replies to: Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

• a20171a20171 Registered User Posts: 1,177 Senior Member
    edited April 11
    I've checked regularly for 3 admissions cycles now and have noticed some weird stuff. A lot of the newer members commenting on other people to pick a school for weird and wrong reasons (basically acting like stuff every college has is a luxury at this particular one) and a lot of posters posting ridiculously high stats wondering if they could get into a their state school. Also a lot of hate on catholic colleges (maybe I'm biased because I go to one now).

Also family stuff!! So many bizarre situations that don't seem real and probably need a social worker and not a college discussion forum.
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    This is my first cycle on CC and I just want to say thanks to all the mods who clearly work hard to keep the site productive and informative. I had no idea all the work going on behind the scenes until I saw this thread. So kudos to you all and thanks for trying to keep the crazies out!
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    I don't know if it makes you feel better or worse, but I've noticed the same kind of downward spiral in the comments section of Inside Higher Ed. It used to be primarily grumpy or bombastic professors replying, but now there are lots whackos--especially on anything involving race or sexual assault. The level of discourse is noticeably different from two years or so ago.
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 4,297 Senior Member
    edited April 12
    I flagged a post for the first time in like seven years of posting. It was in a thread about W&L. The poster was asking about not wanting to participate in Greek life and whether W&L could still be a good experience.

A commenter was riding W&L pretty hard and (I thought) trying to scare the OP away from W&L. I flagged the second (or third) such negative post.

I kind of feel badly for flagging it - maybe this was that poster's genuine experience. I sensed a vendetta, though, and clicked the flag.

Mods, if this was a legitimate poster and if you don't think they did anything over the top, please remove the flag. I probably should have checked his or her history first. It just seemed overly harsh and discouraging. Would have been fine in the "colleges that fell off your list" thread though. ;-)
  • ccprofandmomof2ccprofandmomof2 Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    Ahem, excuse me, but overgeneralization based on one's own (often outdated) experience is hardly limited to new posters. ;)
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 4,297 Senior Member
  • turtletimeturtletime Registered User Posts: 1,180 Senior Member
    It’s a long time messaging board tradition that every summer, spring and winter break, adult forums get flooded by bored kids riling things up. It’s a pattern I’ve seen for 15 years ok all sorts of boards.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,274 Senior Member
    And some of us have been out there that long. The tone is different this year, IMHO.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    I would like to make a suggestion related to flagging posts. I would really love to hear back on a flagged post. Either a “we’ve reviewed the post and find no action justified based on TOS” or “we’ve reviewed the post and removed it based on TOS” would be great. Just to know that it’s been dealt with in some way.