Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,853 Senior Member
edited April 9 in Community & Forum Issues
I have recently (past few days) been much more active on CC than I have been for a while. (Work has tapered off, been bored, haha!) I have noticed a sudden abundance of inflammatory posts on many different forums. Often these posts bring up race in some way, or allude to politics, or seem to be negative about a particular college, with the poster not giving any real support for the point of view.

But what is making me turn "conspiracy theorist" is that when I notice these posters' backgrounds, they seem to have all joined CC pretty recently. In particular, there are 3 new posters who all joined on either April 5 or 6, and who seem pretty well-versed on college stuff. They have all joined in, or initiated conversations that seemed designed to elicit negative reactions. In some cases, all of their posts then seem to disappear. Really seriously dumb question here, or a dumb serious question, but has CC been invaded by T roll$ or bots? Has anyone else noticed any posters who might fit this pattern? Have any mods noticed an increase in these types of posts by brand new members, or an increase in reports of "bad behavior"?

I'm going to tag a bunch of people: @skieurope @vonlost @MaineLonghorn @Erin's Dad @sybbie719 @doschicos @happy1 @MYOS1634 @happymomof1 @intparent @wisteria100 @ucbalumnus @PurpleTitan @billcsho @jym626 @bjkmom @twoinanddone @austinmshauri

Ok, now you can laugh. :)

Replies to: Am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Don't laugh...yet.

• 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,146 Senior Member
    @Lindagaf flag the posts when you see them, mods can't be everywhere all the time. If their posts disappear the mods did it and are on to them.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,853 Senior Member
    @3scoutsmom , I have been flagging them. And because it just seemed odd that there were a number of them, all from people who had joined in the last few days, I thought I would see if anyone else noticed anything unusual.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,198 Senior Member
    There are such posters every year. And yes there have been a few recently. I don't know whether it's a snow day somewhere or people with a political agenda. I did notice more posts along the lines of 'racial grievances'. I even wondered if the thread "are Hispanics no longer URM" which is about admission hooks wasn't at attempt at fishing preaching the false to gather useful information for another purpose. But I try to stay away from these threads so I'm not sure whether it's concerted.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,231 Senior Member
    " I have noticed a sudden abundance of inflammatory posts on many different forums. Often these posts bring up race in some way"

Yes, IMO there has been a noticeable uptick in this kind of stuff, unfortunately.
  • LeastComplicatedLeastComplicated Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    I'm not laughing. I think you're on to something.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,198 Senior Member
    Well, one could also imagine it was only a matter of time before hostile chabots discovered college confidential! :-) ;)
  • MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,218 Senior Member
    edited April 9
    Yeah I agree with you @Lindagaf there have been many new accounts with controversial posts and threads lately. I’ve been flagging as many as I can but there are too many to flag....
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 21,137 Forum Champion
    edited April 9
    Agree, you may have something. I try (not always successfully) to pass on commenting on inflammatory posts by first time posters -- I feel like they may just be venting or baiting people to comment.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,853 Senior Member
    edited April 9
    @LeastComplicated , have you noticed more of this than usual?

Forgot to tag a lot of people, hope you don't feel left out. Also want to ask @CCadmin_Sorin if he thinks there is any reason to believe that, indeed, there could be something to my "conspiracy theory."
  • LeastComplicatedLeastComplicated Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    @Lindagaf I have only noticed a couple, but they were doozies.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,637 Senior Member
    Yep, I'd expect a round of these posts to crop up in April every year.