Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Should the "what are my chances" threads be moved inside another forum ?

menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,289 Senior Member

We all know that most of the posts on the chances forum are written by HS kids who have NO way of knowing what another HS's students chances are. They are guessing or bragging.
My concern is the highly visible, equal footing of the "chances" forum , when one scrolls down the list of major forums, gives those posts legitimacy. I believe that hurts CC's overall credibility with new parents or kids who come here for knowledgeable advice.
Does anyone see the harm in putting the "chances" as a sub forum inside HS life, or some other forum?

Replies to: Should the "what are my chances" threads be moved inside another forum ?

• MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 785 Member
    edited April 16
    Well, ouch I feel hurt that I'm considered someone who is guessing or bragging on chance me threads. In fact, I don't do any of those things. Instead, I usually remind such applicants that essays are as important as their stats and extracurriculars.

Also, the whole point of chance me threads is to allow strangers to give their own opinions on the poster's chances, is it not?
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,289 Senior Member
    the chances thread has value for entertainment purposes only.
    But CC was founded not for entertainment value, but for the gathering and distribution of real information about applying to colleges.
    Real news, vrs fake news, if you will..........

I just dont think it should be prominently placed on CC's home page.
    You can bring your concerns to the attention of moderators through PMs.
  • washugradwashugrad Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    You might have the unintended consequence of having lots of 'what do you think my chances at xx school are?' pop up in the Admissions thread or each school thread again (I think they used to be all over place several years ago before the dedicated thread was started, but maybe I'm misremembering).
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,931 Senior Member

Or in the Community & Forum Issues board, where it is currently placed.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,289 Senior Member
    "I wonder if the chance forum was created to put all the chance questions in one area so people (like me) who don't see much value in chancing can easily avoid them."
    that's a good question.......... Mods?
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,249 Super Moderator
    A chances post for one particular school (or some groups of schools) is usually moved to that school’s sub forum (to try to get appropriate eyes on the post, and to cut down on responses by HS students). Posts remaining in Chances are indeed easily avoided.
    edited April 17
    @menloparkmom SORRY. So sorry. I didn't know that you did that already. My apologies for being a "newbie".
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 31,839 Super Moderator
    edited April 17
    MrElonMusk wrote:
    bodangles wrote:
    Or in the Community & Forum Issues board, where it is currently placed.

@bodangles is correct; it's posted in the correct place. As she indicated, the OP did PM me, and I asked her to post here where the PTB can see. While some might think that the mods are all-powerful, the layout of what subforum goes where, and what is included in each forum, is far above our pay grade. :)
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 33,740 Super Moderator
    Yes, we've asked about this in the past. I don't think the Chances forum is disappearing anytime soon.
  • patsmompatsmom Registered User Posts: 4,325 Senior Member
    The Chances forum is clickbait, which means $$ for the site owners. It's what drives a lot of the traffic to this site, even though it's pretty much meaningless to actual college admissions. :-@ . ML is right -- it's not going anywhere.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 67,733 Senior Member
    I’m just glad the Chances forum exists and all the chance me posts can be placed there.

I wish I could block that from my feed.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 53,642 Senior Member
    The chances thread comes across like a giant humble brag.