Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Posts not posting

BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 588 Member
I tried posting last week and again this week after being on CC for several years. Neither posted, nor did I get a message about why. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Replies to: Posts not posting

• BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    Clearly, this post made it through, though!
    OK, I think I figured it out. My post contained a link to a Facebook group rather than a website. I guess that's forbidden. It posted after I removed the link.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,709 Super Moderator
    I guess that's forbidden.
    Indeed it is. @Barbalot
    Please do not post links to other discussion forums, blogs, personal sites, photos, videos, or other non-authoritative sources. This includes Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and similar sites/apps.
    http://www.collegeconfidential.com/policies/rules/
    nor did I get a message about why.
    You actually did, although you may not have noticed. There is an auotgenerated pop-up which says:
    Your post has been flagged for moderation. Your comment will appear only if it is approved. If your post violates the TOS it will not be published. Common violations include disallowed links and profanity.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,532 Senior Member
    edited May 9
    @skieurope do moderated/flagged posts ever get approved? I attempted to post recently on the Parent of 2018 thred that contained a youtube video of a news story about a HS cap and gown distribution (very inspiring). It was a legitimate news story, I could not find a source that was not youtube linked because that is the way the originating school district in North Carolina posted it. It was flagged but never ended up being approved/posted.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,019 Super Moderator
    @labegg The Moderation Queue is currently out of order. There are a bunch of posts waiting for moderation. The glitch has been reported to the tech people.
    @skieurope do moderated/flagged posts ever get approved?
    Yes @labegg However, the vast majority do not for the reason I listed above.
    I attempted to post recently
    I looked back in the past week, and I see nothing. So I can't comment on the specifics. It should have been OK, unless the link was a clickthrough via FB/Twitter, etc. Try again, and if it gets flagged, I can tell you the issue.
    edited May 9
    @labegg I found it; the link was from FB, so no, it would not be approved.
    @labegg The Moderation Queue is currently out of order. There are a bunch of posts waiting for moderation. The glitch has been reported to the tech people.
    Well, technically, the reject button is out of order. The approve button works fine, and I have been approving those that are OK for posting.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Apparently everyone misses the pop-up -- perhaps it could be made more visible or noticeable?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,019 Super Moderator
    @skieurope, thanks! I didn't know that!
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,532 Senior Member
    edited May 9
    My bad...it was actually a FB link not a youtube link. I just attempted to repost and I tagged you @skieurope. Aww that is a shame...it is a great story. Thanks for checking. Wish I could find it without the FB link.
    edited May 9
    My bad...it was actually a FB link not a youtube link. I just attempted to repost and I tagged you @skieurope.
    Yes, I saw. So unfortunately, that will not be approved @labegg .
    Post edited by skieurope on
    My Facebook link was for PBS. Oh well. Mystery solved at least.
    edited May 9
    My Facebook link was for PBS. Oh well. Mystery solved at least.
    A post like yours, which quotes FB as the source, does not really need the link. You can repost as simple state, "According to their FB post....:" and if any user here is so inclined, they can go look for the source.