Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Malware on College Confidential (with Android)

2»

Replies to: Malware on College Confidential (with Android)

• psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,408 Senior Member
    Constant now on my iPhone. The site doesn’t even let me open it without immediately redirecting to the spam ad.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 54,705 Senior Member
    Read the pop up spam thread in the community forum
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 12,891 Senior Member
    I'm having the same problem. Android, Pixel2, only on CC.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,924 Senior Member
    If you can't delete the offending link or two in history, via the CC page, do it on another tab.Then recheck history from there. Dont go back into CC til it's gone. Sometimes, you need to shut down.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,298 Forum Champion
    This should not be on us to remedy. It's on the site admins to stop doing business with shady advertisers.
  • CTTCCTTC Registered User Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    Like some posters said on the other thread about pop-up spam, I'm just not going to read CC on my phone anymore.

CC should do better by its members.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,434 Senior Member
    Not just CC. i have had this issue on my android phone occasionally from other sites (very occasional and seemingly random when i click on a link from somewhere). I just close the browser app.
  • CTTCCTTC Registered User Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    Yes, I've had the issue from other sites, also. And inevitably I realized that I shouldn't have clicked on the link.

But CC is a supposedly reputable site. We are right to expect better from them.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,924 Senior Member
    I have only had this when a CC tab is open, whether it not I am looking at CC at the moment.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 28,572 Super Moderator
    It's on the site admins to stop doing business with shady advertisers.
    Placing an ad on, e.g., Google is an automated process (I've done it for my iOS app). Google won't know about a bad pop-up until it's reported (and how do we even report it?). The crooks are clever, often ahead of efforts to contain them.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 12,891 Senior Member
    The spam pop-up crud is back. Had been gone for a couple of days. Am not using the CC app.
2»