Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,726 Senior Member
    @HRSMom I think that duplicate accounts is a primary reason for getting banned.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,237 Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for explaining, but I still don't see why a banned user is allowed to post. If they are banned, shouldn't they be prohibited from using the site, full stop? If they did something egregious enough to be banned in the first place, why be allowed to stay on CC? Banned is meaningless otherwise.
    @Lindagaf I answered the question in post 14. Banned users cannot post. Any posts appearing from a banned user were made before the user was banned.
    are these folks banned as in forever, or like the old jail bars where you are locked for a period of time?
    The jail bars still exist. Jail bars do not lock a person out of his/her account; they "only" prevent the user from starting new threads until the jail bars are removed. Banned users are locked out of their account.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    Got it! Thanks!
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,369 Super Moderator
    And some people are banned temporarily, while others are banned permanently.
    ^Very true. We give people several chances, especially if they have been around for awhile.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,730 Senior Member
    On Firefox mobile, the avatar for banned users shown on Firefox desktop/laptop (hat with bulls eye) shows in the top center as the button to go to the top level list of forums.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,825 Senior Member
    @CCadmin_Sorin I just emailed you a screenshot showing the word BANNED over an OPs icon.

I see this on my iPhone...but not my iPad.
  • HowardGradlyHowardGradly Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    If a user has the word “Banned” across the cap and tassel - does that mean the user is gone, unable to respond? I’m seeing users with this designation that have posted as recent as today.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,276 Community Manager
    @HowardGradly, if you see "BANNED" written on a profile pic, the user was permanently banned from the site. The user history remains though, that's why you still see their posts (which might have been written right before the ban). Just to double-check, can you name the users you were referring to?
    I'm not seeing "BANNED" on profile pics. https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/profile/cobrat, for example. @CCadmin_Sorin, do you see it on this user's profile?
  • HowardGradlyHowardGradly Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Ccprof2018 is “banned”
    No not ccadmin
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,630 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn if I click on your link I see a bullseye and mortarboard, if I hover my mouse I see the word banned, This is with Chrome on a notebook
  • patsmompatsmom Registered User Posts: 4,574 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn , I see BANNED when I move the cursor over Cobrat's avatar. In addition, his avatar now has the bullseye thing attached to the graduation cap (just like the CC logo at the top left side of this page).
    Ah, OK, I see it! Thanks! I assumed it would show up when you looked at the page.