Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,197 Senior Member
edited July 7 in Community & Forum Issues
While searching through the "latest posts" recently I've noticed numerous "banned" posters. Most were the OP's, so in 10 pages of latest posts several avatars have "Banned" prominently stamped across them. CC already seems to have a reputation as being harsh because of the straightforwardness of some of the posters. If I were new to the forum and ran across page after page of banned posters, my impression wouldn't be that it's a welcoming site.

I wonder if I'm the only one who found the image startling. I can understand the need for moderators to be able to quickly identify banned posters, but I wonder if there's a more subtle way of doing it. Perhaps a special avatar could be created that could be assigned only to those who've been banned. A less obtrusive marking, such as a small red CC in the corner of the current avatar, seems preferable to the current method.

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,671 Senior Member
    Agree that it seems like overkill. CC has gotten along just fine in the past without scarlet letters. While we're at it, I've never been a fan of the jail bars either.
  • GoldPennGoldPenn Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    I noticed the same thing. It would be nice to use a different word such as, "inactive," or perhaps a different avatar that's readily identifiable.
  • patsmompatsmom Registered User Posts: 4,453 Senior Member
    Which device are you on that you can see "banned" stamped across the avatar? I'm on a laptop and the only way I can see if someone is banned is to hover my mouse over the avatar when their post is on the screen.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 35,994 Super Moderator
    I can understand the need for moderators to be able to quickly identify banned posters
    Just so we're clear on concept, the moderators did not devise this. In fact, I was not even aware of this until a user pointed it out. We have other means to quickly identify banned members.

@CCadmin_Sorin Would you like to weigh in?
  • Bubblewrap666Bubblewrap666 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    @patsmom For me, safari browser on my iPhone
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,123 Senior Member
    edited July 7
    I think it shows we take care of you know whats, and the TOS mean something. I like being able to tell. It was hard to know before.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,379 Senior Member
    The only “banned” noted is the OP to a thread. I’m not sure that’s an issue.
  • worelyclanworelyclan Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I would think it would suggest something very different than likely harsh straightforwardness of posters. I would think, as I do, that it indicates that posters really need to watch their Ps and Qs and that the regulatory environment might be a bit more than some would like.

It would not have given me the idea that I'm going to be eaten up by the natives

In any event, I found it humorous.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,085 Community Manager
    Do you guys have an example of a banned user that is showing the banned label? Thanks!
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,108 Senior Member
    I've pretty much never noticed one.

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,908 Senior Member
    edited July 10
    @CCadmin_Sorin The CCer of post 8 above.
    edited July 10
    Do you guys have an example of a banned user that is showing the banned label? Thanks!
    @CCadmin_Sorin There's 2 different issues. The avatar of the banned user displays as in post 8. Note that this is a subtle difference from the default avatar.

The banned "label," AFAIK, is browser-dependent. A general user cannot see it with Safari, but can with other browsers (I forget the specifics, since mods can see it regardless of browser).
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,354 Senior Member
    I only see "banned" if I hover over with my mouse, never noticed this before this thread. If a user is banned how can they post?
    edited July 10
    If a user is banned how can they post?
    They can't. When we ban a user, any posts that do not violate ToS remain. Since we do not delete posts on request, some users have erroneously thought that if they get themselves banned, that they can circumvent the system to get their posts deleted that way.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,085 Community Manager
    The avatar of the banned user displays as in post 8. Note that this is a subtle difference from the default avatar.

@skieurope, do you have an example of a user that displays this avatar?