right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Our Fresh New Look Is Here

1787980818284»

Replies to: Our Fresh New Look Is Here

• circuitridercircuitrider 3367 replies168 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I never bothered to get the CC app for phones, so my android version was always just a tinier version of what I saw on my laptop. It was probably bad for my eyesight, but, it was okay for short spurts of browsing when I was between workstations.
    · Reply · Share
  • lovecpalovecpa 8 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 14
    First, I appreciate the Admin's efforts for trying to create a nice forum for us to use. However, I'll have to agree with the majority's sentiments. There is a lot of white space - it requires me to scroll more than necessary to view the same amount of content. I'm not a CC frequenter but I miss the old look. This new theme isn't user friendly. I've never scrolled so much!
    Please consider reverting or allowing us the option to choose the forum theme we're most comfortable with. Thanks for reading.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • threeofthreethreeofthree 1035 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This not a clean easy look - can't capture where I am and where I want to go in one look. It's just confusing....I waiting a while to say this but it's not getting any better in my view.
    · Reply · Share
  • 10s4life10s4life 2216 replies47 threadsForum Champion UCLA Forum Champion
    I didn’t really understand all that technical stuff @calmom just said. Can’t they just update the layout?
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12883 replies242 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Theoretically it would possible to allow users some choice in theme settings in their control panels -- to control colors, fonts, font-size, etc.

Anyone can control their own font size now, that's a browser feature.
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1262 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @calmom
    I don't see any tables in the old design source, looks like it was all done with CSS. It was fine on my phone before. I don't mind reordering things to be more responsive, and trying to get a more modern look in general. However, the failures of the new design mostly don't stem from its responsiveness, but from poor choice of fonts and colors, confusing navigation and content arrangement.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34187 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What matters, in the end, is IF we can use this, easily and effectively. It matters less whether there's a complex techy explanation.
    In so many cases, in life, how an entity responds to dissatisfaction is half the battle. There is no roadmap here. Most advice is coming from users to other users-- a nice thing to see, but it shouldn't be left to that. No gauntlet thown down to 'love it or leave it.'
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20591 replies167 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm not arguing pro or con - I'm just saying that I can see where this came from. The "in" thing in web design these days are fully responsive sites with block design. "Block" means that each content element is in its own "block" than can be moved around or restacked so that the site can be viewed as a long skinny column, or in wide format with the blocks restacking themselves side by side.

I don't know why they chose a 2-column max width design vs 3 columns. It's fairly easy to go to more columns, but it gets unwieldy with more than 3 or 4. But the problem from a design standpoint is that a decision has to be made as to how the blocks will stack - what will be at the top, what will be at the bottom. And I think the frustration that people are feeling is because old left-side navigational links have been pushed to a "below the fold" position on the wide layout version.-- plus there have been some changes to how the menu is displayed, requiring more clicks for some topic areas -- but actually making some others, such as "professional & grad school" more prominent. I think this could be fixed by adding a "go to topic index" button or link near the top of the page -- and they are taking up unnecessary space with the fairly useless "Most Active this Month" box. (A "most active" topic list would be much more useful than one highlighting individual posters)
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7787 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @calmom — I appreciate the explanations. But none of it matters. The end result has been a disaster. And no, I never had a CC app—it was good on all fronts before this disaster.

There is nothing to defend from your viewpoint.
    If CC wants to start over from square one as a new site with whatever they think is great then go for it! Not with me. I only check in to hope for change .

It’s a joke even writing this, the writing moves all over the place. It’s a total joke. And will soon be a meme.

· Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1269 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thank you to CC for having me to log in 7 times today. It just keeps getting better.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2400 replies216 threadsCommunity Manager Community Manager
    We once again thank everyone for the feedback. We will close this thread as it is no longer productive. I started the thread below, where we will share status updates on the issues listed previously as we have news to pass along to you. Use that discussion only to report new technical issues so that it’s easier for us to collect them.

Please note:
    - Comments that rehash already-reported issues will be deleted; this new thread is meant to highlight what we already know and update you as items are being addressed.

- With over 100 pages of feedback, we are quite clear on the redesigned areas that are of concern to you so there is no need to repeat them as that only make it difficult for us to see actual new valid functionality issues.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/community-forum-issues/2150459-forum-relaunch-feedback-status-update-p1.html

If you continue to feel that you are not being heard, please send a single submission to voice your feedback/concerns/impressions on the new theme via email to [email protected]
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity