right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Applying to a "Reach School"

Seminole97Seminole97 2 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited November 2013 in Cornell University
I am currently a junior in high school, and I plan on at least applying to one "reach" school. My weighted GPA is a solid 4.0? What are my chances of getting in to and Ivy League like Cornell or Columbia? Any other schools that you would recommend that I check out before apply next year?
edited November 2013
3 replies
Post edited by Seminole97 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Applying to a "Reach School"

• T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    A single data point (your GPA) doesn't tell us much. You should speak w/your guidance counselor as far as developing a list of schools. You should ask yourself what you're looking for in a college. Hint: random well-known names is only a starting point -- not your goal.

As well, you should look at the individual colleges' websites about what characterizes competitive applicants.
    · Reply · Share
  • crowladycrowlady 1094 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    You are probably waiting to hear about your PSAT scores, but you should have some sense (e.g. from practice tests) of whether your scores will be relatively strong. Are you taking advantage of many of the advanced classes available at your school? Are you likely to be in the top 10% of your class? Are you good at writing essays?

Think about the size and location of the school you desire. What schools offer strong programs in your areas of interest? Play around with CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application to see how you compare to previous applicants. You'll see that Ivy Leagues are never good bets even for those with top marks and top scores. Some people even call it a lottery. Good fit is very important and that requires much more than just a good GPA. Visiting a range of schools is a great idea if you can afford the trip.

If your counselor isn't helpful, you can also try this forum for advice: College Search & Selection - College Confidential
    · Reply · Share
  • crowladycrowlady 1094 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    By the way, it looks like you are from Florida. I started high school in Florida and graduated from a Tennessee high school. This may have given me a bit of an edge compared to other Cornell applicants because they do (or at least did, decades ago) strive for geographic diversity. You'd still have to have an application that indicates you have had rigorous preparation and have a high chance of success.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity