Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is a 2100 good enough for Cornell?

13»

Replies to: Is a 2100 good enough for Cornell?

• ForeverFishForeverFish Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    I was admitted to Cornell with a 2390 SAT, but I have no doubt that when I arrive next fall, I'll meet many students more intelligent than myself. I might mention that I go to a public school, albeit a highly specialized one, where receiving an A- in a class is considered "average" or even "below average."

Raw intelligence HAS been proven to be partially genetic -- you're correct in that regard. However, using a standardized test to quantify the CAPACITY to learn is, as alanhouston said, unfounded.
  • alanhoustonalanhouston Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    NothingImportant, the College Board pays its researchers to figure out why MOST college students with mundane SAT scores of 1600 do well in college and many of them graduate with honors and some students with a 2200, 2300 or 2400 fail to graduate.

It turns out that skill at multiple choice tests is a minor part of college success. Actually going to class, reading the material, understanding it, adding original thought, being creative and communicating are the skills that lead to sn honors degree. Along with working 80 hours a week.

If you write a terrible research paper you will not get a passing grade by saying "Would you like to look at my SAT score?"
This discussion has been closed.