Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How stressful is COE/CS?

2»

Replies to: How stressful is COE/CS?

• agg999agg999 Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    edited March 2014
    Hey, can you guys tell me what my chances are for Cornell: Do you guys know if Cornell CoE is a highly number based school? I mean my stats are bit low (below average) for Cornell due to some personal circumstances (which I explained on the application) but I am like an Intel semifinalist, siemens regional fiinalist, AIME qualifier - actually got in the high 130's on the AMC 10 and about 110 on the AMC 12 etc.. What do you think my chances are? To be more specific, I got a 32 on the ACT (with a 35 on Math and 33 on Reading) and pretty much all A/A- in my math/sci classes but did poorly in foreign language (including a B- junior year), humanities (quite a few B+'s) etc.. I have also interned at a software company and won medals in chess and tennis competitions. As for SAT II's I got a 800 on Math II and 760 on chem. I got a rec from my math teacher and supplement from a research mentor. Thanks!
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    I think if Cornell was all that SAT/ACT-based, their average scores would be higher.
    @Daddio3 Well, it is pretty high now at least for CoE.
    How do you know their SAT numbers by major? I have only seen it for all engineering ... and I guess it was pretty high ...
    @Daddio3 I mean Cornell does not admit by major as far as i know and if they did CS is going to be on the higher end compared to even the acg. CoE stats. So, what do you think of my chances?
    Quite honestly, I have no idea. My first kid applied this year also with a similar resume to yours except 2200 SAT, and I have no idea if he will get in, either.
    edited March 2014
    @Daddio3 wow! How far did your kid go in the Siemens competition? How did he/she on AIME - just curious to know. Hope we both get in :D
    Not similar in those two regards -- you did great there! He had a couple of programming competitions he did pretty well in, but nothing past the state level. I would say your application is stronger overall even though he had the strong SAT score.
  • FoxTrotFanFoxTrotFan Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Update: got into Cornell ED in CAS and just finished my first semester. I took the beginning CS class and I learned a lot. Having programming experience, I definitely still had to work/study but I didn't find the assignments and finals as hard as it would have been if I came in with none. I am also really glad I applied to CAS as opposed to COE. The amount of workload and stress is vastly different. If you're a prospective student reading this, consider applying, it's really great here and it's been a great first semester!
  • tamara6tamara6 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Thanks for reporting back! So few people think to do that, and it is nice to know how things ended up.

How much time did you spend on homework for your programming class vs. homework for your math class? Can the programming be done on your own computer, or must you use a computer lab?
  • cd2015cd2015 Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    I have heard that CS and Math are two most difficult majors at Cornell. Cornell CS also makes you get a "context" for your degree (I forgot what they call it ). As a hiring business, that would be a great incentive ! Cornell is for those who are willing to work hard. Remember, you are surrounded by students who are at least as smart as you - if not more! So, you have to work to stay competitive. IMHO, looking for a hook already is not a good strategy. If a hook (like being a girl) helps, then, that's fine but if that's the only reason to apply - then, that would not serve well in the long term - even if you do well, you won't be happy. So, think twice before sending that app. If you are a level headed person who can take tough work , asks for help as needed and is willing to accept that there are others who may be smarter than you - then, I think Cornell (or for that matter any other super selective school) will be right for you!
  • FoxTrotFanFoxTrotFan Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @tamara6
    I didn't take a math that semester. I recommend studying and placing out of any math classes you can because in CAS you don't get a real professor for Calc I and II. You can program either on your computer or in the lab. The TA's and labs are in a lab, so I brought my computer and used it there as well.
2»
This discussion has been closed.