Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell AEM chance?

2»

Replies to: Cornell AEM chance?

• superdubsuperdub Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    bump bump
    bump bump
  • JCL4d3JCL4d3 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I applied ED AEM this past year. I was rejected initially. Here are my stats if you would like to compare:
    SAT I (breakdown): Did not Send
    ACT: 32 (E28, M33, R31, S35)
    SAT II: Math 1: 750 Math 2: 700
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.7
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 15/538
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Human (4), World (2), Bio (1), English Lang (3), Macro (2), Env Science (4), US Hist (2), Statistics (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Art History, AP English Literature, AP Psychology, AP US Gov, Teacher Assistant 1, Administrative Office Tech, AP Calc AB, Student Government
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Anne Frank Humanitarian Award, AP Scholar

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Government (Student Body President, Student Body Treasurer), Class Council (Vice-President, Treasurer), Relay for Life Club (Founder/President), National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Varsity Soccer, Varsity Tennis
    Job/Work Experience: Walgreens, Mathnasium (Math Tutor)
    Volunteer/Community service: RCMA(250+ Hours)- Helping improve the lives and education of migrant workers and their families. Barefoot Hope(20 Hours)- Feeding the homeless of Tampa. Relay for Life(40 Hours)-Money to benefit the American Cancer Society.
    Summer Activities: Worked at Walgreens, took MAC 1105 at local community college, as well as a honors virtual school class.
    Essays: CA- Student Body President changed by outlook on leadership and success. CALS- Working with migrant children of RCMA inspired my future. Very Strong Essays
    Teacher Recommendation: Very close teacher, excellent recommendation.
    Counselor Rec: Very good
    Additional Rec: Past SGA Sponsor, best letter I have ever had the privilege to read.
    Interview: Over 2 hours, still in touch today. Best interview of my life.
    Other: In touch with recruiter

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major: Applied Economics and Management(AEM) through CALS
    State (if domestic applicant): Florida
    Country (if international applicant): USA
    School Type: Large Public (2400 Students)
    Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
    Income Bracket: Upper Middle Class
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): N/A

Reflection

Strengths: Leadership, Community Service, Rank, Testing
    What you tried to focus on in your application - any hooks you tried to make for yourself: Giving back to community.
    Weaknesses: Unweighted GPA, Major Selection (8% AR for AEM Major)
    Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think I was rejected because of my major selection, AEM, because it has an acceptance rate of only 8%. Also my unweighted GPA drastically hurt my application.
    Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected:Accepted- UF Honors, College of William and Mary, Fordham, FSU, USF. Waitlisted-UVa. Rejected- Cornell, UPenn, Dartmouth
    Your "Big Red" factor - the most unique thing in your application: Community Service- Working with migrant workers.
    edited August 2014
    rejected initially? does that mean you later got in?
  • cbear2017cbear2017 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Hi. As an FYI--if you plan to transfer into AEM, they now only take students who apply for the major by the end of their freshman year, and those students need to have taken a list of prerequisites. If you miss the deadline then you can't double major or major in AEM
  • khagedorn96khagedorn96 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    To the person who says to go to ILR and transfer in... ILR's acceptance rate is the same as CAS and scores are very similar now. What are you saying?
2»
This discussion has been closed.