Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Cornell Class of 2016 Spring Transfer Thread

Replies to: ***Official Cornell Class of 2016 Spring Transfer Thread

• TrasfereeeeTrasfereeee Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I've been following this thread on and off and just got accepted into CAS. Just thought I'd post for future reference. Also got accepted to Amherst and that's likely where I'll be attending.
  • nighthawk4nighthawk4 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @Trasfereeee stats/school?
  • TrasfereeeeTrasfereeee Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Sorry, I'm afraid my stats really aren't applicable since I am a non-traditional student to the extreme. Didn't attend high school at all, but am currently attending a CC. It's a bit of a long story.
  • nighthawk4nighthawk4 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @Trasfereeee alright, well congratulations either way bud!!
  • erkk94erkk94 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    If anyone is looking for housing I highly recommend a sublet in collegetown if you are not a freshman. They are great deals and awesome social locations. Living on west is more expensive and it's way harder to make friends there. Check out this housing page for sublet options! https://www.****/groups/383332411701301/
  • StewdlesStewdles Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2015
    Hey, just got accepted to CALS. Just leaving my stats here for anyone who's still interested/waiting. I think what carried me were my GPA/SAT scores. Congrats to those who were accepted and good luck to those still waiting or planning on applying!

HS (graduated two years early as part of CC early-entrance program)
    -GPA: 4.8 weighted/ 4.0 unweighted
    -SAT: 2390 (800CR/790W/800M); also NMSQT finalist.
    -APs: (6 5s - Chemistry, Biology, Physics, European History, Human Geography, Calculus BC)
    -XCs:
    1. Vice president of Model United Nations team - several small awards.
    2. Vice president of Red Cross club - helped organize several small blood donation drives
    3. Peer tutor/mediator
    4. Performed in two school plays as part of Drama club.
    5. Developed RaspberryPi-based device to provide video-based education tools to lesser developed areas with no Internet connections.

CC
    -GPA: 4.0
    -Curriculum
    1. Completed Honors (proof-based) Math Sequence from Calc I through Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (i.e. Calc 1,2,3 + LA/DE)
    2. Physics Sequence (Calc-based); Mechanics + E/M + Modern (optics, quantum, etc.)
    3. Cell and Molecular Biology, Diversity of Organisms (basically combined Zoology + Botany class), Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics
    4. General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry
    5. English Composition + a critical writing based Philosophy/Logic class
    6. A mishmash of social sciences (e.g. Anthro, Architecture, US Gov't, World History, etc.)
    -Letters of Recs from one of the professors I TAed for and a doctor I work for. Just average ones; nothing crazy good.

XCs-
    1. 500 hours of paid Scribe work at local hospital
    2. TAed Chemistry and Biology labs
    3. Paid Peer Tutor for science and math courses
    4. Paid Grader for math courses
    5. Assistant Chairman of CC's Student Senate Fiscal Committee (handling student-allocated budgets and services).
    6. Helped organize a robotics team at a local high school
    7. Helped TA high school chemistry labs;

I'm an Asian male from a suburb in Southern California. Both parents went to college.
  • JamesFeng567JamesFeng567 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi guys, I got rejected for CAS in the spring and wanted to try ILR in fall. I checked the school website and it seemed really great.
    However, I saw that the experiences of those accepted into ILR posted on this thread mainly focus on government affairs and community service. But my internship mainly focused on consulting (done one with the Economist Intelligence Unit, doing one internal consulting at Pfizer, and the incoming one with Boston Consulting Group) and my ECs focused on entrepreneurship and international communication. Can I fit my background into ILR? Judging from the school website, it seems to me a diversified multi-disciplinary social science school so I think business should fit in. Plus many ILR graduates pursue business. Got kind of confused, any advice? Thx:)
    BTW I am an international student
  • HereToTransferrHereToTransferr Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi guys, i have a question regarding the transfer requirements. For the required coursework, is it possible to fulfill them as a transfer if you Aped out of the class?
  • VctoryVctory Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    @JamesFeng567 Definitely. I wrote my essay about my interest in entrepreneurship, organizational behavior, and the "human side of business" (people are at the center of a business, not products). I'd definitely recommend making the trip up to talk to Ian Schachner about the program during one of the ILR visit days; he should give you his business card at the end of the (EXTREMELY HELPFUL) info session. Don't be afraid to email him with questions about the program.
  • PitLV2109PitLV2109 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Would anyone who applied CS at Engineering or CAS share their stats?
  • pleaseberkeleypleaseberkeley Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    I thought decisions come out in a few months for colleges why is the ivy league different?
  • VctoryVctory Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    @pleaseberkeley This thread was for spring transfers (i.e. we start this month). Decisions for fall transfers come out in May.
  • ArthurDent42ArthurDent42 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    edited February 2016
    Hello, I will most likely be transferring to Cornell this time next year, and I have a few questions:

1.) Can I transfer with only completing one year of study at the school I currently attend (aka transfer into Cornell and start there as a sophomore)?

2.) Does the transfer application require a letter of recommendation from anyone, high school teachers or college professors? If the latter, how do I ask a professor to write a letter of recommendation to leave their school?!?!?

3.) Did anyone get accepted to Cornell as a first year applicant/high school senior, get accepted, then not go, and then try to transfer later? This is my situation, I feel like the only person in history to have done this/planning to do this.....
This discussion has been closed.