Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Cornell University Warns Mistletoe Isn’t ‘Inclusive’ Enough And Students Shouldn’t Use It

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,351 Senior Member
"A guide to “inclusive” Christmas decorations created by Cornell University warns that any decorations that remotely evoke religion, which includes stars and mistletoe, are incompatible with the school’s commitment to diversity." …

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/04/cornell-university-warns-mistletoe-isnt-inclusive-enough-and-students-shouldnt-use-it/

Replies to: Cornell University Warns Mistletoe Isn’t ‘Inclusive’ Enough And Students Shouldn’t Use It

• TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    I agree. Well said @T26E4 and @oldfort.

The Daily Caller? Really?
  • PAYNE101PAYNE101 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    The sad part for me is that this is a season of deep meaning. A celebration.
    And yet the effort to be all including dilutes that special meaning. Whether your Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist whatever...each celebration is a chance for all of us to learn about another slice of humanity.
    But correctness is changing the landscape...
    Harvard no longer will have "House Masters" because the word "master" has an association to slavery.
    So why not propose eliminating the Masters degree ... That may be perceived as controlling people beneath you.
    This correctness is a terrible thing and I wish our leadership would not be so weak and cowardly as to suppress elements of our human history... We are not one size fits all.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,426 Senior Member
    I just don't get it. If a Christian wants to wear a cross necklace or a Jew wants to wear a Star of David, I don't think that is offensive at all. Why would a decoration be different from a necklace? If someone wants to put up FSM decorations, that should be fine too.

I can see that in public areas it is dicey. If you put up a nativity scene, then someone else will want to put up a Festivus pole with beer cans. In that case you have to decide if you are letting everyone put something up or not.
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Registered User Posts: 3,050 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    "citing "the daily caller"? Look at that site a little more...."

right, NY Times, Huffington Post and Vox, that's the ticket for integrity - no agenda there...

You can disagree all you want, but your list is much more reputable: The Daily Caller is the only one whose Wikipedia literally lists its political/idealogic leaning in the first line. One has won 117 Pulitzer prizes. The other features an entire section on their page discussing their ideology, with this tidbit included:
    In March 2015 Daily Caller columnist Mickey Kaus quit after editor Tucker Carlson refused to run a column critical of Fox News coverage of the immigration policy debate. Carlson, who also works for Fox, reportedly did not want the Caller publishing criticism of a firm that employed him.
  • profparentprofparent Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    Wow, citing the Daily Caller. Your credibility just plummeted.
This discussion has been closed.