Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

• mjr2013mjr2013 Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    @milkshakezzz Make sure to apply to some safeties. Despite your impressive resume, and I do mean impressive, those four schools you are expecting acceptances from have transfer admit rates of 2.68%, 5.70%, ~22%, and 10.90%

I do plan on continuing to grad school. Med school mayyyybe.
  • milkshakezzzmilkshakezzz Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @mjr2013 Hell yeah dude, med-school is the way to go! The need for graduate level degrees in humanities is in decline. Have you thought about what area of medicine you would want to explore? Do you have any plans for this summer? - there's this awesome program called the "Summer Health Profession Education Program", formerly known as SMDEP (Summer Medical Dental and Education Program). It's a great way to find out if Medicine is a fit.

Thanks haha, reality can be a bitch sometimes :p, I have a state school as my safety. Tbh, if I don't get into any of my schools I might just be a stripper for a semester.. jk..(insert nervous laugh). lmao.. It's okay tho, Wesleyan has a seat for me i've been in touch with the president and dean of transfers since last year.
  • mjr2013mjr2013 Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    @milkshakezzz I had never heard of it, but I love the idea. I am definitely considering applying. Just have to figure out if it will be financially do-able. Have a rent and car payment to make that the stipend probably wouldn't totally cover!
  • CornellAEMpleaseCornellAEMplease Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    For anyone who wants a hint on where to apply

Cornell human ecology has the highest acceptance rate.

I'm seeing a lot of people here wanting to go to med school, this is the perfect fit.
  • trynamakecollegetrynamakecollege Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    I know on this thread I mentioned I'm applying to the Arts and Sciences school, but upon further research, I actually found the PERFECT major for me in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences! I hope everyone's applications are going well!
  • johnpfc3johnpfc3 Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    does anyone know the transfer acceptance rate for AEM vs Arts and Sciences?
  • SkeptaSkepta Registered User Posts: 466 Member
    edited January 2017
    Here are my stats:

Currently a freshman at De anza community College.
    CC gpa: 4.00, (23 quarter units completed)
    Recc letter from english prof.

HS gpa: 2.6
    SAT:1780

EC: Event coordinator for environmental club
    Worked as a host at the counter restaraunt
    Lead lessons in web design at my schools coding club.

I was wondering what my chances were, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I've looked around but I can't quite tell what the transfer acceptance rate is for Dyson. Does anyone know?
  • LTCmatLTCmat Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I've heard extremely low
  • tomster10010tomster10010 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Chance me, please!

Male - lower middle class
    looking to transfer as CS in either Engineering or Arts and Sciences (I don't know which, advice?)
    Currently Computer Science freshman at RPI (top 30 tech school)
    GPA: 3.33*
    HS GPA: 4.20/4 (probably 3.6-3.8 unweighted)
    SAT: 800 reading, 760 math, 700 writing

APs:
    Calc BC, Chem, CS, Stat, Bio, Psych, Econ (both), Spanish
    US gov't, Language and Composition, Physics I
    US History

First semester classes: Multivar, DiffEq, CS 2, Cell Biology, Elective
    ECs:
    College: Chamber music ensemble, Fraternity, CS club, Big Brothers Big Sisters (joining soon), Alpha Phi Omega (Service fraternity), tutor for CS (officially) and lots of other stuff (unofficially), maybe one other soon (Ballroom)

HS: Model UN (delegation coleader), Board game club (president and founder), FIRST Robotics (Programming team lead), TA for AP Computer Science, tutoring

Explanation for GPA: I got a C+ in Differential equations. All my other classes are B+ or better, with an A in my only Computer Science class (considered one of the hardest classes in the school).

I decided to apply just a couple days ago and I'm still not sure who I'm going to ask for a letter of recommendation. I know I can get a good one from a high school teacher, but I don't know if any professors are close enough to me to write a good letter of rec.

I'm also looking at UT Austin. They have a really high average transfer GPA (3.66) but they get a lot of transfers from other UT schools, so I'm not sure how competitive I am.
  • qwerty1023qwerty1023 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What would you say are my chances:

Applying to engineering
    HS GPA:4.0
    I got National award by Vice President of my country for coming first in my country in Math, Physics, Econ and Overall.
    This thing got like a lot of media coverage.

College GPA:4.0

SAT:1390
    How much would my SAT scores hurt me?
    SAT 2: Math-800 Physics-780
    Toefl-109

EC's
    Leader for community service project of providing better quality education to children of low socioeconomic backgrounds
    Community service of helping earthquake victims

Internships in Bank for 4 months: Operations and Loans department
    2 Hackathons_Got interested in coding know basics of Phyton, Ruby, HTML, css.
    Big Data and Analytics Research-Improving efficiency of Department of Revenue.
    Participating in a race car building competition for college, part of powertrain team.

And some other stuff.

• terr24lrterr24lr Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Is transfer rate to Dyson like NYU Stern low???
    Because I'm going for business (as a sophomore transfer) and I'm debating whether to apply directly to Dyson or compensate to either CALS or CAS to have an increased chance of getting in (I have to double check which one has business related majors). Any thoughts/advice?
  • IneffablySpokenIneffablySpoken Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Last I heard, Dyson transfer acceptance rate was around 6ish % according to a kid who's actually in dyson right now
  • CornellAEMpleaseCornellAEMplease Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    No Dyson acceptance rates are high.
  • YSMartinezYSMartinez Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Hi, I'm a 21 year old male attending a Texas CC. Intended Major is Philosophy with English minor, with the ultimate goal of attending a top-twenty law school.

BACKGROUND:

If you feel it would be helpful, please feel free to read my history on my profile page. Briefly put, I was homeless periodically since age 12 until 18. Born in another country and the son of an undocumented maid, family earns less than 20k per year. During that time, I traveled to dozens of states, lived in Vegas, Phoenix, Omaha, you name it. When I was seventeen, I traveled with my dad to Mexico, before parting ways to explore Chiapas and Guatemala. I reunited with him, almost 18 years old then, and returned to America. In hindsight, what a crazy life...

From about 18-20, I worked in the oilfield in West Texas, on the rigs, while dealing with my dad's medical issues. I saw a coworker's leg be cut in half, and I myself near fell to my death a couple of times. At 20, just before my 21st birthday, I decided to earn my GED (w/ Honors) and did so in a few months, as I didn't want to risk dying anymore. Seeing as my education ended in the sixth grade, then started again for only a year in high school, I consider myself mostly an autodidact.

HS GPA: 1.3 and no EC's. I don't know why I even went to class.

ACT: 32

COLLEGE GPA: 4.0 over 24 credit hours including Honors

LOR: 4 letters, each powerful and unique.

One letter by my HS counselor who knew me back when I used to sleep in a van. Naturally, it is an emotionally charged letter with his full backing and support.

EC's: Honors College member

Honors College Scholarship recipient

Stayton Scholarship for Writing winner (published author in poetry and non-fiction)

Peer tutor for English/Composition and Rhetoric as well as U.S. History

Coauthor for my professor's PhD dissertation,

***(Part of my professor's dissertation deals with critiquing the English abilities of immigrants. Therefore, I am not a research collaborator, as I understand it, but a legitimate coauthor. This seems most obvious in that I have produced the entirety of chapter four of his book, which he proceeds to comment on in chapter 5, and which will soon be published at University of Houston-Downtown.)

Phi Theta Kappa member

Editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, which had been out of print for years.

I feel that I am making the best of what has been offered to me, and I hope that Cornell sees that.

Thanks for reading all this.

If you guys don't want to do a full chance me, I understand. Takes too long.

Just Yay or Nay me? It is much appreciated. Helps regulate my thinking and definitions of what is realistic in terms of my competitiveness as an applicant to a school like Cornell.
This discussion has been closed.