Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

• Mastodon97Mastodon97 Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    edited March 2017
    @sleighride4life
    Hey! Are you applying to CAS?
  • nubes24nubes24 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2017
    @jpug13 I think you have a great chance to get in!! Just dont forget to state the detailed reasons why you transfer/what do you want exactly in cornell. Cuz I feel like risd is such a top school that no one would question your artsy side but rather the motivation to transfer.
  • jpug13jpug13 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    @nubes24 thanks so much! That means a lot! I worked very hard on my essays to show that I want to be there and that I am motivated! Just crossing my fingers now.
  • ViolaCesario12ViolaCesario12 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hello there everyone! I transferred into the College of Arts and Sciences as a sophomore last fall. As I find myself awake at this late hour at the behest of the tea I foolishly drank a few hours ago, I will endeavor to provide some assistance.

First, for those of you who received a Transfer Option as I did: The best (i.e. least anxiety-inducing) way to think of the Transfer Option is as a conditional offer of admission. As long as you are able to produce a record of achievement in college consistent with that of your high school career, you can take the place Cornell already has marked for you. The admissions committee would not have granted you a Transfer Option if they did not believe you capable of succeeding at Cornell, so please try not to worry - and enjoy your freshman year at whatever institution you attend!

Second, more generally: From my own experience and firsthand accounts from friends across the colleges, I feel that I can safely define Cornell's academics overall as intellectually challenging, yet far from impossible. Some courses will be more difficult than others, certainly, but there is little need to fret that you will be lag behind your peers after a year or two spent elsewhere. Yes, professors do award As and yes, you will be the recipient of some of them. If you enroll in one of the larger colleges, it is unlikely that the other students in your classes will know that you are a transfer student unless you tell them.

And lastly, for the moment: I would urge you not to stress over the particulars of your GPA or your achievements. To search for logic in the admissions process is to search for photons in a black hole - if you tweak the math, it may be possible, but you will most likely end up with nothing but a headache and a sense of inadequacy. It is fine and good to pay some attention to the statistics, but please remember that you are far more than a few numbers and a couple of paragraphs on a page. Save yourself the deep anxiety I had when I stood in your place last year. I love Cornell - the diversity of its students and faculty, the resources available, the absolutely fascinating classes, and yes, I even have a soft spot for the snow - but I cannot tell you why I was accepted. I do not mean to imply that I am inherently unworthy of my place (though I sometimes feel that way) but rather that I do not understand what it was about my application that drove the admissions committee to give me a Transfer Option while gracing a dear friend of mine (with nearly identical grades and significant accolades for her extracurricular science work) with a rejection letter. By the same token, I cannot readily explain why Johns Hopkins accepted this same friend's application and rejected mine, or why Yale declined to admit either of us in favor of a peer with comparable achievements. Journalists, students, and conspiracy theorists alike have their ideas about what happens behind closed doors, but it is a largely futile exercise to wonder. If Cornell's admissions committee does not recognize your talent and potential, prove them wrong by working to your fullest ability at another institution.

I know that all this may sound ungenuine - why did this person, you may be thinking, choose to look at college confidential from the comfort of their Cornell dorm room? To be honest, I promised myself for Lent (yep, I'm one of them Catholics) that I would try harder to think beyond myself, and today I remembered this website. There are enough stressful things going on at this moment in time, from the global level right down to each of our personal lives, to wonder if we measure up to this nebulous standard of collegiate worthiness.

I will check this thread tomorrow morning (or really later this morning) in case I can answer any questions.

Fare you well.
  • TilltheendTilltheend Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Please note that currently the biomedical engineering major will not entertain transfer applications from students enrolled at other colleges and universities.
  • TilltheendTilltheend Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Please note that currently the biomedical engineering major will not entertain transfer applications from students enrolled at other colleges and universities.
  • ILRie18ILRie18 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    Hey @Mastodon97 ! Also applying to ILR here. Mind posting your stats?
  • Med509Med509 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    Hi everyone!

I applied for the Environmental Engineering Program
  • MysteriousDudeMysteriousDude Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    @ViolaCesario12 , as a Cornell student you might have some more insight on this, but I was wondering what the actual transfer acceptance rate is. I read that transfer admissions, according to some websites (including Cornell's), claim that the overall transfer acceptance lays around 20%. However, due to guaranteed admissions there is an inflation in this, making it a misrepresentation toward first-time applicants like me. Anyone else, feel free to answer this. It'd be nice to know. Good luck you all!
  • CornellAEMpleaseCornellAEMplease Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    @spemmar1 Mr Smart guy....that's the freshman profile.
    Take a look here at Agriculture school :)
    LINK REMOVED PM FOR IT.
  • CornellAEMpleaseCornellAEMplease Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    @johnpfc3 Really you talked to admissions and they said Dyson was the hardest?
    I was told for transfers it's the easiest....people I know there said it's super easy......hmmm...mr smart guy...
    let's share some stats?
    LINK REMOVED PM FOR IT.

Oh like 50% for agriculture and life sci? Oh what's your defense that it's the other majors? OH but like the other majors have like a 100% and AEM has like 10%? Sounds about right.
    Talk to some kids who actually go to Cornell.
    They will tell you.

Been to wallstreetoasis? All the kids apply dyson there too cause they educated themselves.
  • spemmar1spemmar1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Look, CornellAEMplease, good luck to you. You seem very confident that your transfer chances into AEM are better than 20%. I need to caution you, however, that the bulk of external transfers into AEM are GTs. Roughly 50 GTs are admitted Sophomore year. If you eliminate GTs from the transfer rate into Dyson the percentage of acceptance is far lower than the numbers you are quoting. Remember, this is the hardest undergraduate business program to get into. The transfer rate isn't some magical backdoor that increases your chance of admission.

For reference the below is from Dyson's website:

External transfer admission to the Dyson School's Applied Economics and Management undergraduate major is highly competitive. Strong preference will be given to candidates who will be transferring in the fall of their sophomore year. Junior transfers are rarely admitted.

Those who complete the strongly encouraged courses in addition to the required courses and who have at least a 3.5 GPA will be the most competitive applicants.
  • johnpfc3johnpfc3 Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    @spemmar1 I agree that it is really difficult to get into AEM, much moreso than @CornellAEMplease says, but GTs are not included in the transfer statistics in Cornell's common data set. There is no mention of GTs in the document and admissions refers to transfers as those who applied, were accepted and enrolled. GTs techincally don't have to apply again hence "guaranteed admissions". That said, I would say the AEM acceptance rate is probably 7-13% as Cornell's overall acceptance rate is 19% for transfer, but AEM is the most competitive school.
  • spemmar1spemmar1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Actually that is not accurate. GTs are not considered Guaranteed admissions. They are considered Transfer Option or conditional transfers, and they are included in Cornell's transfer statistics.
  • johnpfc3johnpfc3 Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    @spemmar1 Even if that is the case, I'm pretty sure there are next to no GT's for AEM. The vast majority of GTs are offered to HumanEco, CALS and CAS...
This discussion has been closed.