Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2017 Transfer

• spemmar1spemmar1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Actually that's not at all the case. AEM has such small class sizes per year - sub 225 students. Typically Freshman year there are 25-50 Transfer Options handed out to AEM students. Most of the transfers you see sophomore year in AEM are TOs. Again, the overall class size remains very small, and the overall transfer rate from external students into AEM is sub 10%.
  • nyridernyrider Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Hey all, since I decided to transfer this year, I did not complete all the requirements for the major in Cornell that I am applying for. Will I even be considered?
  • CornellAEMpleaseCornellAEMplease Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    @spemmar1 That is incorrect. It does not include conditional transfers.
  • spemmar1spemmar1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Yes, it does. Conditional transfers are statistically counted as part of the transfer acceptance pool. They are also invited to all transfer events during the following fall incoming orientation event schedule.
  • rik123rik123 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    Hey guys.... applying to Cornell CAS .... I am a Rutgers Honors student and visiting undergraduate at Columbia ( took classes in Columbia in the summer and again this spring 2017).... Lets see what happens....Good luck to everyone
  • sleighride4lifesleighride4life Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    *Please note that currently the biomedical engineering major will not entertain
    transfer applications from students enrolled at other colleges and universities."
    I'm a bit confused with this statement. Does that mean Cornell is not seeking for any BME transfer applications?
  • MysteriousDudeMysteriousDude Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    @sleighride4life seems like it. Unless you're already a Cornell student and want to go for an internal transfer.
  • VctoryVctory Registered User Posts: 1,190 Senior Member
    @sleighride4life If BME says they don't accept transfers, then don't apply to BME. If you want BME, make a very strong case for a different (but related) major in CoE, apply, and hope for the best.

Keep in mind that CoE historically accepts only 1-2 transfers each year.

Re: AEM and GT's: there are a huge amount of AEM/CALS GT's. GT's are INCLUDED in the external transfer statistic. The acceptance rate for Cornell transfers is artificially boosted by the GT program. It's still very competitive for non-GT's.

The reason Cornell has a GT program is to accept first year's they were on the fence about and would have accepted but for the class size filling up too quickly. They didn't have housing for them as freshman, but wanted them as Cornellians, so they offered them a spot knowing some freshmen would fail out/drop out/get off-campus housing by the next year.

I'm a non-GT ILR transfer who started Spring 2016, went to UMD from Fall 2014-Fall 2015; it's my third semester at Cornell. As someone who loved their old college, transferring was still the best decision I'd made in my life.

Biggest piece of advice: make sure you display your fit with the college. ESPECIALLY FOR ILR. It's helpful for potential ILRies to visit and meet Ian/be exposed to the inner workings of the program.

Happy to answer any Q's, especially since apps are due soon.
  • TilltheendTilltheend Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @Vctory , 1-2 transfers each year? I think CoE admits more than that
  • InfoSciInfoSci Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Hey everyone, just submitted my app. I figured I'd post stats/chance me here, that seems like what people like to do here.
    I'm applying to the CALS information science program as a sophomore.

College GPA: 4.0 (Top 100 state school, Computer Science/Engineering)
    HS GPA: UW: 91 W: 104 (rank kinda bad though)
    SAT: M: 690 CR: 680 W:680 (pretty crappy, but CALS doesn't consider SATs according to an email from them)
    Academic evaluations: Math Prof (11/10) History Prof. (8-9/10) CS Prof(8-9/10)
    Other letters of Rec: HS Tech teacher (10/10) HS/College English Teacher(10/10) Possible letter from a Cornell alum, donor and recruiter, not sure about that one yet...

ECs/Awards:
    Creator and president of my High School's computer club
    Won my university Hackathon's "Best Freshman hack"
    Captian of HS quiz bowl team, won regional competition, competed nationally
    Won tri-county writing competition in 11th and 12th grade.
    3 years of varsity soccer
    Misc. volunteering
    Some other stuff not worth mentioning here.

Essays: Pretty good I think. I wrote about creating my schools computer club, and felt I demonstrated my fit for info sci pretty well.

Good luck to everyone else!
  • Mastodon97Mastodon97 Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    Can anyone chance me? I usually don't ask that on here but Cornell is my top choice and I'd love to get feedback

I'm applying to the ILR school at Cornell as a junior. I have literally been finishing all the perquisites since I learned about the program in the winter of my freshman year.

Bengali-American
    HS GPA: 3.3-This was due to a lot of family and personal troubles.
    ECs: Not that much, just some volunteering.
    SAT: 1980
    ACT: 28

College GPA: 3.8 (I'm currently a sophomore).
    Also note that I have gotten an A in all of the ILR School's pre-requisite classes.
    ECs: -Mock Trial,- College Newspaper, College Activities Board, College Residential Education Department, Deans List, Political Club

Got 2 really amazing recs from Professors.

I'm pretty good at writing, so my essays are (hopefully) great.

Thanks in advance!
  • DrRichDrRich Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Hello everyone! I'm applying to CALS as a Biology and Society major.

HERE ARE MY STATS!

Broward College, Davie, FL Expected Graduation Date: June 2017
    A.A. candidate
    Majors: Psychology and Biological Sciences
    Minor: Mathematics
    GPA: 3.85/4.0
    Honors: Robert “Bob” Elmore Honors College; Phi Theta Kappa

AWARDS
    President’s List (2016)
    Dean’s List (2015)
    Academic Achievement Award in Psychology (2016)
    Academic Achievement Award in Sociology (2016)
    Brad & Terry Holcombe Honors Scholarship (2016)
    Honors College (2015-Current)
    Gold Honor (2015)
    National Forensic League Degree of Excellence (2015)

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
    Broward College, Social and Behavioral Science Department, Davie, FL 
    Independent Research, “Effect of loud noises on neurological connections”
    December 2016
    This research focuses on the effects of the brain’s neural connections when exposed to noise polluted environments.

Supervised Research, “The role of transcendent purpose for learning, growth mindset, and grit on self-regulation and student achievement in community college students”
    February 2016
    For this supervised research experience, I reviewed literature on non-cognitive factors as a foundation for academic success. After Institutional Review Board approval, I collected data to determine the benefits of developing self-transcendence purposes. I submitted the results for presentation at regional conferences.

Class Project – Advanced General Psychology, “The effects of distraction on reaction time”  
    October 2015
    This project assesses concentration, focus, and reaction time to stimuli, using near stimulus and response test. Data were collected from participants enrolled in Advanced Psychology. The analysis will be conducted using a Biopac Science Lab to measure reaction time.

Honors Class Project, “Perseverance and Passion in Student Success”
    November 2015
    The project was conducted as an honors class requirement for General Psychology. The purpose was to demonstrate the importance of non-cognitive traits in academic achievement by conducting focus groups with students and analyzing articles on grit. I interviewed a group of students about what is more important in their academics and how they could do better. The results showed that students believe that hard work was more important than intelligence. As a result, we found that the reason why college students tend to drop out of college is because of lack of motivation. I presented these findings at the Honors Colloquium and at the Florida Collegiate Honors Council 2016 Conference.

Presentations
    Honors Colloquium 2016 – Broward College
    Effect of loud noises on neurological connections.
    Florida Collegiate Honors Council 2016 – University of Florida
    Perseverance and passion in student success.
    Honors Colloquium 2015 – Broward College
    Perseverance and passion in student success.

LEADERSHIP
    Broward College, Psi Beta Chapter
    National honor society in psychology for two-year colleges.
    Founder (August 2016 – Present)

Broward College, Phi Theta Kappa
    Vice president of Public Relations (January 2016 – Present)

Broward College, Psychology Club
    Promote mental health awareness in college students and service to the community.
    President (August 2016 – Present)
    Vice president (January 2016 – July 2016)
    Historian/Student Success Coordinator (August 2015 - December 2015)

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
    Psychology Tutor/student assistant for General Psychology
    • Provide tutoring for students in blended/accelerated course; Communicate with students via LMS to monitor their progress; Lead online discussion with questions/answers for students; Provide feedback on in-class writing assignments; Facilitate study groups for final exams.

Research Group “Student Success: The Role of Grit and Growth Mindset”
    Faculty Advisors: Nathalie Franco, Ph.D. & Noelle Crooks, Ph.D.
    • Analyzed scholarly articles; Proposed ideas for research studies; Conducted original studies in Psychology

Intern at the Social Behavioral Sciences Enhancement Program
    • Created partnership in the field of study; Assisted with college events promoted by the department

Service Learning Program - Study Abroad Brazil
    • Participated in several service-learning projects, applying classroom theoretical lectures; Helped students with study habits to improve their school performance and self-esteem with the “Growth Project”

Psi Beta Chapter
    • Responsible for founding a new chapter at Broward College; Prepared plans for future research groups and community service projects.

Harvard National Invitational Forensics Tournament
    • Participated in Congressional debate

University of Florida Blue Key and Debate Tournament      
    • Participated in Congressional debate

Memorial Hospital West, Volunteer (December 2015- August 2016)
    Pembroke Pines, FL                      
    • Assist nurses with postsurgical patients

CERTIFICATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
    Phi Theta Kappa (2016)
    American Psychological Association (2016)
    Certifications: American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR (2015)
    Affiliations: American Medical Student Association (2015)
    National Speech and Debate Association (2014)
    National Forensic League (2014)

SKILLS
    Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), AutoCAD proficient, Mac and PC literate.
    Language: Spanish, French, and Portuguese fluency

• DrRichDrRich Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Let me know what you guys think!
  • firstleaguefirstleague Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @nyrider without knowing any other info. I would have to say no.
  • Mastodon97Mastodon97 Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    Any other ILR applicants?
This discussion has been closed.