I am currently a junior at a private high school in norcal and am looking to RD to HuEc at Cornell next winter. I am in the IB and take HL Chem, HL Bio, and HL Lang and Lit. I have outstanding ECs and a good SAT, with a GPA on the lower end. Chance me:
GPA: 3.62/4.00 UW
Bilingual IB Diploma: HL Chem, HL Bio, HL Lang and Lit, SL Math, SL French lang and lit, TOK, SL French Geo.
3.8/4.0 for all STEM courses
"A" at Cornell Summer undergrad course
- Can speak chinese, french, english (obviously), farsi (persian).
- Major: biology
Hooks: Second generation to attend college, Type 1 diabetic
idk if those are considered hooks
Internship working with research professors at Northwestern University. Only 3 High school students accepted.
Working on Stem cell regeneration in human kidneys.
Maintenance and culture of human embryonic stem cells
- Work in real labs
- 50 day lab
- 1st place at poster competition at Northwestern. Judges and all that stuff
Global Issues Network Conference (GIN Conference) 10, 11
- Presented to 200 students on Infectious diseases and volunteered for organization of the event.
- Conducted a Q&A workshop on the presentation along with interactive activities.
Songs for Senegal Fund Raising Event (Sister School in Africa – Senegal) 9, 10, 11
- Helped raised funds for sister school in Africa - Senegal
Model United Nations (BMUN) Conference - Berkeley 10, 11
- Participated as a delegate, and was assigned a country to represent during the simulation.
- Conducted research prior to the event and formulated positions before debating with fellow delegates.
- Served for Sudan for Legal Rights committee (10th)
- Served for Bahrain in the Legal Rights committee (11th)
- Won research award for my country, first time in my high school's history and in a committee of over 300 students, only 10 were awarded.
One Act Festival, Actor – International High school 10, 11
- Performed leading and support role in one student-written and produced one-act play:
The Green Hill, Along for the ride
- Rehearsed weekly, assist with lighting and technical production, help with promotion
Varsity Tennis, 9, 10, 11
- Placed 2nd in league and advanced to regionals
- Recipient of Regional Athletic Director Award of Excellence (9th.)
- Recipient of Most Improved Player Award (9th.)
Bay Club, Tennis
- USTA Junior Tennis Summer League -2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Fresno Team Tennis League Champion winner – 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
- Gar Glenney Cup State Champion winner – 2012, 2013, 2014
- Featured in Tennis Magazine and local Newspaper- 2012, 2013, 2014
- USTA Ranked top 270 in Norcal – Boys 16 and under
Community Service and Involvement:
Type One Advocates (TOA) Nov, 2016
- Founded Type One Advocates, a non-profit organization, raising awareness for Type One Diabetes in the Bay Area. By working with other non-profit organizations such as JDRF and CarbDM, Type One Advocates is able to educate, create awareness, mentor newly diagnosed children, educate their families, and raise money help build a striving community.
- Facebook Followers: 3,000
- Raised $2,200+ for diabetes research.
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) 9, 10, 11
- Youth Advocacy Leader for Children's Congress (JDRF), raised awareness about Type 1
Diabetes, mentoring program volunteer , “One Walk” Team leader and walker, raised over $1,000 for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (10th)
Retirement Homes (7, 8, 9,10)
- Played the Piano for Retirement Homes on Sundays and special occasions
High school Admission Team, Admission Host
- Serve as a student host for visiting students, give tours of the school for prospective students
- National Guild Music Diploma candidate – Graduation Date from Music
School – June 2017)
- National Guild Piano Certificate –2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- US Open Piano Competition 2nd place winner - 2013
- Developed an application for Type 1 Diabetes management, blood sugar tracking, insulin dosing, carb counting, foot steps, and other important supplementary features. This app is specifically for diabetics who do not have an insulin pump. The app provides users with features that an insulin pump has, but on their phones
- Over 100 current users after 1 week release.
In addition, I am a type one diabetic myself and had medical issues my first semester of junior year, resulting in my GPA to drop, but my principal assured me that a professional letter would be written to explain the drop. Besides that, I had a respectable sophomore and freshman year. Also, another reason why my GPA is lower than usual is because of Chinese in freshman year - the teacher hated me and tried his hardest to give me a C both semesters, even after attempting to be his btich
My essays will be about my diabetes and how i overcame this obstacle, and am now helping others who were in my position.
My letters of rec are going to be 10/10, both teachers love me and acknowledge my efforts in their class. I also have a strong outside of classroom relationship with them.