Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Legacy? My mom's maiden name is on a building

13»

Replies to: Legacy? My mom's maiden name is on a building

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,860 Senior Member
    That is not a Common App admission essay!!!
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 968 Member
    But it is a compelling essay topic, in my opinion, a relative one can research who made so much money that he could donate to multiple universities he did not attend. Wow, I would love to research and write about a relative like that. Unfortunately for me, I was first generation college, and my relatives worked at Alcoa and other factories, and I did not write good essays about them, but got into good schools, anyway, as I was really first generation.

The OP wants to get into Cornell. This is his/her ticket. I would just love to read an essay like this weighing what this relative did right and what he might have done wrong. Was he a bootlegger? Was he a railroad tycoon? It could make a fascinating story for a Common App Essay. Its cool to have relatives who did something meaningful like donate money to higher education.
  • TTdd16TTdd16 Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    @Coloradomama, an admissions essay is supposed to give insight into the student who's applying, not some distant ancestor. Seriously, you're giving the exact opposite advice of what a student should do in his or her Common App essay.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,661 Senior Member
    edited September 26
    The point behind a college essay is not to introduce others to the school. It's not to showcase your bloodlines. It's to separate you from your statistics, from the 400 over applicants with virtually the same statistics and activities. Piggybacking on someone else's success, in my opinion, seem s to imply that there's nothing to set YOU apart from the pack. It's kind of a " none of the above" answer to the question.

It may very well be a compelling story... for a magazine or a family newsletter. I don't see it as a good choice for a college essay.

OP, do as you choose. My opinion, as both a mom and a senior teacher, is that those precious 650 words could be better spent on you than your ancestors.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,871 Senior Member
    I would include it somewhere in your app because I think it's pretty interesting. It says something to me that you even know that part of your family history.

I think people who call you out because they think it's "unfair" need to take that up with colleges that consider legacy, not high school children. A legacy won't make up for subpar stats, so if you get in it's because you did the work to get there.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,860 Senior Member
    Right, this is for college adnissions, not a class research paper or writing contest. It's not submitted to a teacher to grade.

The tippy tops want kids who know the difference, what *is* good to show.

• fsadreamerfsadreamer Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @lookingforward Never thought about writing my essay on my relative. Ever. I’m a talented writer and a qualified student for admission; I have done my research on the school and truly think it would be a good fit for me.
    LET ME BE CLEAR: I AM NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN, THINKING ABOUT WRITING MY ESSAY ON MY RELATIVE. Both my CAS Supplement and my Common App essay have been written and their topics will not change.
    @momcinco thank you!
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 986 Member
13»