Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Cornell Fall 2018 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2018 Transfer Thread

• bobaboibobaboi Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    edited February 10
    Current College: University of California, Irvine
    Applying as: Junior
    Major: Math and Computer Science double major

high school GPA: 3.7(unweighted)
    Old SAT: 2010
    college GPA: 3.77 (a lot of credits but below maximum) it will be 3.8 after this quarter....

ECs: (not that many)
    Orientation Program Staffer
    Mentor in some mentorship program
    Dean's List...

I am applying as a CS major or math major... I don't know my chance to get in. Anyone knows my chance to get in? Much appreciated!! hope everyone can get in!! do you guys have any suggestion about whether I should I apply as a math major or computer science student? I am interested in both.
  • SergozoriaSergozoria Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some of your feedback on my chances of being admitted to Cornell University's College of Human Ecology. Before I write down below my grades, I want to describe my academic experience first. Also, I would like for the readers to not be judgemental about my past or experiences.

I migrated to the United States from the Dominican Republic at the age of 14. Back in high school, I took ESL classes, struggled learning the language, even in college. To add, I also struggled with my sexual orientation as a gay person, even before coming to the US. I never took the SATs or ACT. At the time, I was not thinking about college. I focused on improving my English skills and coming to terms with my sexuality.

After graduating from HS, I took a year off and applied and was admitted to an on campus program for students seeking to improve their English skills before taking college courses. I went to a community college in Bronx, NY. I was accepted to NYU and BU for Spring 2018 but decided not to go. They suck at giving decent financial aid packages.

I completed my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences last Fall 2017. I am applying for the Human Biology, Health and Society major at the College of Human Ecology for Fall 2018.

DEMOGRAPHICS:
    - Latinx (I do not like using the term Hispanic because it is a colonized term. Also, Latinx is an inclusive term for people who do not fall under the gender binary. I use it for political reasons, but I identify as a cisgender person)
    - Low-income student
    - Homosexual
    - Student of color
    - Bilingual (English and Spanish)

HS GRADES:
    - Cumulative Average: 77.47% (If I am not mistaken, this is a 2.3 GPA)

COLLEGE GRADES:
    - GPA: 3.594 (I asked one of my professors to change my grade from an A- to an A for one of my classes. If he changes it, it will increase to a 3.61)
    - Honors Classes: Art (A+), Mus (A+), Advanced Eng (A+), Advanced HIS (A+)
    - Dean's List since Fall 2016
    - 63 credits earned

PROGRAMS/ORGANIZATION ON CAMPUS:
    - Phi Theta Kappa member
    - Honors Program Scholar
    - First Year Seminar Peer Mentor
    - CUNY Language Immersion Program student (this is the program I was admitted to after HS and before college)

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
    - CUNY LGBTQIA Student Leader ( From Sept 2016 to May 2017)
    - Honors Program (from Spring 2017 to Fall 2017)
    - First Year Seminar Peer Mentor (From August 2016 to present)
    - Health Career Connection Summer 2017 Internship ( For 10 consecutive weeks for 45 hours per week)
    - Events & Marketing Internship at CUNY CLAGS Center for LGBT Studies

CERTIFICATES:
    - Honors Program Scholar, Spring 2018
    - First Aid & CPR Certified
    - CRLA Certificate Advanced Mentor Level 3

Current Spring and Summer 2018 plans:
    - I will be volunteering at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital this spring. I will also be volunteering at the Montefiore Family Health Center during the summer.
    - I applied to two summer internships as an after-school tutor and group student leader.
    - I will also be volunteering at an after-school program this spring.

I incorporated my past academic and personal experiences with my plans for the future and how I hope to achieve those objectives at Cornell University on my essays. I also mentioned my internships, volunteer and work experiences and my plans for this spring and summer on one of my essays.

I am not sure if I have a good shot at being admitted to Cornell, but I would really appreciate anyone's feedback. I want to thank those for taking the time to reply back to this post. It is highly appreciated! Thank
  • MIgirl28MIgirl28 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Here are my stats:

Applying as a Sophomore, from a PA community college as an English Major in CAS
    white
    female

4.0 first semester (17 credits)
    on track for 4.0 second semester (16 credits)
    32 of the 33 credits transfer

ACT: 30 (26 science, 28 math, 32 reading, 35 English, 11 writing, 32 ELA)

High school GPA: 3.34, went to a competitive private high school, was a leader, always had summer jobs etc. I also took care of my dad, who has a chronic illness which contributed to my stress and my grades not being higher.

Recommendations: 3, one from history prof, english prof, and math prof. I think the math one might actually be the best, even though math is not typically my best subject, as I worked really hard to show I can excel in all subjects, came in for extra help (got an A in the class too) and we had a bond. Overall a 9/10.

Extracurriculars:
    Staff writer for award winning college newspaper
    Treasurer of Democratic club
    Intern for past six months at State Representative's office

Essays: Wrote about my love of the combination of English and history at Cornell, and how my community college caters more toward stem majors and there isn't a lot of room for interdisciplinary learning/meeting people in general. I also talked about the human experience of living at college and how as a writer, having new experiences is paramount to my education which currently feels stunted.

Also applying to: Michigan (target w/ legacy), Northwestern (reach), Penn (reach), Purdue (safety), Wisconsin-Madison (target-safety), Barnard-Columbia (target-reach), Vanderbilt (target), and Syracuse (safety)

Hoping for any constructive criticism or input or chances! Thanks!
  • CornellGirl908CornellGirl908 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey Guys,

Looking for feedback on my chance of being accepted to ILR as a transfer student. Coming from a CC in NJ.

College Grades 4.0 GPA over 60 credits
    President's list all my semesters
    Phi Theta Kappa
    NJCBAA
    Will have an A.S. degree in Business Administration in May
    Worked 2 jobs while in college as a Manager

High School 3.72 GPA
    National Honor Society

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES- Tutor, Student Government VP President of Finance, Student Worker/Ambassador.

Cornell is my top school. So I'm really hoping I get accepted!!
  • cercit20cercit20 Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    wow, good luck everyone.
    i have a non traditional background but am hoping i stand a little bit of a chance...
  • Aran888888Aran888888 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    edited March 17
    I'm putting in a Transfer application to Cornell for Fall 2018. I have a 3.92 GPA in Civil Engineering at Clarkson University.

Clubs:
    -Associated General Contractors
    -Clarkson University Student Association
    -American Society of Civil Engineers
    -American Chemical Society
    -Steel Bridge
    -Humans vs Zombies

Work Experience:
    -Admissions Tour Guide
    -Potentially tutoring
    -Research on alkaline methods of green concrete creation, their durability/environmental impacts, etc.
    -Two internships with two attorneys, senior year of high school

Will potentially have a LEED Green Associate Certification as of March 31st.

High school I didn't do as well- 3.4 GPA, 1430-ish on SATs, 32 on ACT. I was sick for a month in Sophomore year, and as a result took a huge hit to my GPA(I wrote about this). How are my chances? I worry that Clarkson's lack of selectiveness relative to Cornell will hurt me, as will my being a traditional applicant/student. Unfortunately Clarkson's classes are less rigorous than Cornell's, and it seems like not many will transfer.
  • hoping1234hoping1234 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey Guys! I was hoping ya'll could help me out with my chances of getting into Cornell. I'm applying to CAS for an English major. Here are my stats

Demographics
    -black and native american so a minority/poc
    -middle class
    Freshman at a public university nothing special - English Major
    College GPA: 4.0
    Midterm gpa probs like a 3.9 because I have all As but 1 A-
    High school GPA - unweighted = 3.68, weighted = 4.21
    I have tons more HS ec's than college
    I took a good handful of hard upper level (designed for juniors/seniors) courses the two semesters I've been in college. do you think they'll take that into consideration along with the fact that I've taken 6 classes per semester and have racked up about 33 credits last semester and currently taking 16?
    College ECs
    - Volunteer Program in association w the school
    -Just got into National Society of Collegiate Scholars
    High school ECs
    -NHS
    -Beta Club (2 years)
    --both NHS and Beta required tons of volunteer work
    -3 years of Latin club and secretary of it my Junior year
    -3 years of varsity cheer
    -Cheer captain my senior year
    -Summer cheer volunteer coach for elementary school kids
    -2 time dive champ for summer league (lol not sure if they're gonna care about this but I put it just in case)
    Recs
    -I think it's pretty solid but I only have one because I wasn't close to many of my profs
    SAT scores (new) - I don't test very well so yikes #testanxiety
    -highest reading - 650
    -highest math - 570 (hopefully they'll take into consideration that I'm an English major)
    AP scores
    -English LIt - 4
    -Statistics - 2 (ha whoops)
    Essay
    -I'd like to think it's pretty solid. I'm a decent writer. Basically just wrote about how I've loved reading/writing since I was young and how I enjoy writing essays in my AP English Lit. told them that I was interested in their honors english program and how I wanted to be apart of an English program that wasn't put together as like an after thought.
  • yankeebangeryankeebanger Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    Hey everyone, GL ALL.

Ethnicity: Caucasian (international student from Turkey)
    Major: Business Administration concentrating in Finance
    College GPA: 3.78, Top 80 Public University
    Credits: 60
    HS GPA: 3.85
    SAT: Never took it. Also, not required
    TOEFL: Will be waived
    Recommendations: I got one from writing and one from theatre professor. They know me very well.
    Essays: Decent essays

College ECs:
    - Member of Turkish-American Association
    - Member of Investment Club
    - Member of Honor Society Club
    - Have done some interns in Turkey
    - Working part-time on campus

High School EC/Awards (not all, just ones I'm including)
    - Couple community works
    - Done abroad community work
    - Some clubs in HS
  • KG5APRKG5APR Registered User Posts: 374 Member
    Hey, all! I wish you the best of luck! I also applied for the fall for atmospheric science!
  • ShagunbaliShagunbali Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Does anyone else's portal say Cornell hasn't received their transcripts? Sent them @ the beginning of this month and freaking out!
    @Shagunbali Yes! Except I sent them in January... I am also missing my LOR and college report :/
  • ShagunbaliShagunbali Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    @KG5APR Same... and this isn't the only school I applied to that is missing some of my application materials.. IDK if it's b/c Cornell hasn't updated anything yet, or, if they actually are missing and didn't receive them :(
  • Vincent1997Vincent1997 Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    Cornell has been very very slow to update my stuff as well. I think it took about a month for anything to show.
  • mishk90mishk90 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    I checked mine earlier today and everything’s been checked off for me
    @mishk90 What college are you applying for? When did you send in your materials? I am applying for CALS.