Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Cornell Fall 2018 Transfer Thread

mishk90mishk90 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
Discussion for fall 2018 transfer students! It's still early but I'm ready!

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2018 Transfer Thread

• mishk90mishk90 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    @highlyblessed you're welcome! college report is basically someone from the registrar's office fills out (an evaluation) on you, whether you're a good candidate/in good standing where you currently are. the academic evaluation is the same as a professor recommendation- did you find those papers on the common app?
  • highlyblessedhighlyblessed Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I am not the student, I am inquiring for a family member. I was wondering if professor recommendation carries more is weight than academic evaluation. Thanks.
    Thanks for starting this thread. Do you know what academic evaluations means, is it better than professor
    recommendation,also what information does the college report provide. I will appreciate any insight you have.
    @highlyblessed academic evaluation I think is just how you are doing in the current institution that you're currently in- it'll be filled out by someone in the registrars office. I think it is the same as the college report- some colleges don't require the information though
    Thank you
  • XiHalo117XiHalo117 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hey guys, I'm applying for sophomore transfer. Here are my stats-
    College: Top 70 Public Universities
    GPA: 3.92
    ACT: 33
    Currently a double major in Honor's College for Computer Science and Finance, but applying as Computer Science Major to Cornell Engineering

Also applying to: Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania, New York University, Carnegie Mellon University, Steven's Institute of Technology

EC's:
    Assistant Secretary of Finance Society
    Chief of Finance for Honor Council
    Treasurer of Muslim Student's Association
    Game Developer using Unity Software
    Game Development Club member

Job:
    Campus Manager for Fresh Prints (create a business that produces thousands of $ in revenue)

High School: Top 40 Nationally Recognized High School
    GPA: 3.7 weighted
    AP's: AP Bio, AP Environmental, AP Psychology, AP European History (all 4's) AP Statistics, AP Literature (These two are 3's)

SAT Subject Test: Biology- 730

I have two strong recommendations and I might have an additional one just to bolster my chances.
    I've been maintaining a high GPA for my college career since my high school GPA fell a bit short (Mostly due to low grades in freshman and sophomore year- I drastically improved them once I took school more seriously starting junior year). I'm relying on my EC's, job experience, personal video game/development projects (I want to eventually open my own video game studio and pursue computer science research in a variety of topics at Cornell), and strong essays.

Feel free to chance me if you want. Best of luck to everyone!
  • hopeful112hopeful112 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited January 21
    Hello everyone! It would be great if someone could give me feedback! I know it is a stretch but I thought might as well apply.

Applying for Fall 2018 as a Sociology major

Demographics:
    White
    Lower/Middle Class
    Public High School

High School GPA: 4.0 weighted (Top 10% of class)
    College GPA: 3.7

I currently attend a community college in CT. I graduated with an A.A. in Multimedia Spring 2017, but I honestly just graduated to finish the degree. I have no interest in majoring in multimedia anymore. I stayed an extra year to do more general ed classes (I started Fall 2015 at CC, and will finish in Spring 2018), as a lot of my classes were art based.

SAT is unfortunate for me (I always hated SATs....I don't do well with timed tests....20 minutes to answer 25 questions and read a short story?! It does not work for me, and it should not work for everyone, so it's kind of ridiculous that it is a universal test...like the common core...just because I can't think of an answer as quick as you and then end up getting a lower score doesn't mean I'm dumb LOL): 1560/2400

Does Cornell request transfers to submit AP scores? I feel they are worthless to them as I already completed the same classes in college...

APs that I passed (LOL): Language and Composition, Chemistry

Fall 2017 Courses - 12 credits
    Film Study & Appreciation
    Racial and Ethnic Diversity
    Ethics
    Introduction to Anthropology

Spring 2018 Courses - 9 credits
    American Government
    Sociology of the Family
    Modern Western Literature

The reason why I am only taking 9 credits this spring is that I work 30 hours a week and will also start an internship that is 5-10 hours a week, which means I could potentially be working up to 40 hours a week. Even though I've been working 30 hours a week two out of the three years since at community college, I don't want to overwhelm myself with four to five classes since I am also starting the internship.

I'm also considering enrolling in one or two summer courses this year.

Extracurriculars:
    Habitat for Humanity (at my college)
    Mentor at Boys & Girls Club (will be switching departments to start an internship)
    Heifer Farm three day program

Unfortunately, I have not been able to be a part of most extracurricular activities at my colleges anymore due to my work schedule.

When I complete the Spring 2018 semester, I will have completed 85 credits. Go figure lol

Honors:
    Phi Theta Kappa

Thanks if anyone can give me feedback!!! :)
  • XiHalo117XiHalo117 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @hopeful112 your test scores aren't doing you any favors but your extracurricular activity in regards to your job hours creates a unique situation that you should totally emphasize in your essay and supplements. Best of luck fam!
  • steezxxxsteezxxx Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    What do yall think? Applying to CAS

Top 40 4-Year Private University in NY
    HS Weighted GPA: 3.92
    6 APs completed (3 4s and 2 5s)
    SAT (new): 1420

Major: Physics
    Current GPA: 3.92
    Courses: Physics 1 (honors,A), Calc II (A), Computer Science 1 (A), Gen Psychology (A-)

ECs:
    -Physics society outreach coordinator
    -Astrophysical society, trained in the use of the Society's telescopes and allowed to use observatory at any time
    -Build team (building demonstrative apparatus and miscellaneous interesting technology)
    -Big Brothers Big Sisters, community service/volunteering
    -Work Study (5 hours per week during semester)

Hooks: Hispanic, First-generation college student, <100k income
    -have over 200 hours of work experience (job at a furniture/food store in my town)
    - included professional resume

Essay: Wrote about my father's immigration here and how it's helped shape/motivate me, and my visit to the physics department where I got to speak to the Physics Director and learn how Cornell Physics is structured. Also wrote about pursuing interests in business and foreign language (want more diverse curriculum than current uni). I spent many weeks on the supp and commonapp essay and am very happy with how they turned out.

Recs: Both will be solid but nothing extravagant given the short amount of time to build relationships with them. One from math prof one from physics

Just looking for some thoughts, I never really knew much about the application process so I am curious what others are going through and I wish everyone the best in their endeavors!
    Also applying to BU, UNC, Penn, and Columbia all for physics
    Also my current semester courses are: Physics II Honors, Multivariable Calc & Matrix Algebra, Introductory Bio, and Principles of Economics
    In general, competitive applicants have at least a 3.0 (B) average. Note: Applied Economics and Management and Biological Sciences require a minimum GPA of 3.5.
  • livedexperience8livedexperience8 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    question: do they accept HS college classes like College Now classes for their admissions requirements? Like Hum ec requires pre calc or calc but I took them already.
    I’d call and ask
  • idekidcidekidc Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    edited February 2
    @livedexperience8 As far as i know, for it to be counted it should’ve been taken in a college campus with college students