Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell RD Class of 2022 Applicant Thread

199100101102103105»

Replies to: Cornell RD Class of 2022 Applicant Thread

• NotPeeCeeNotPeeCee Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    @LondonVall How exactly do American students need to be more competitive? I have heard that ignorant statement before and it is just that, ignorant. Let me give you an example I know personally. The applicant is the child of one parent that was accepted to UPenn and another that was accepted to MIT, back in the good old days. That kid was valedictorian, got a 1570 on his SAT, 800s on two subject tests, 5s on all the APs he took, was student council president, was chosen to attend HOBY, was a three sport athlete, made the varsity basketball (not tennis or golf or track) team as a freshman and was a team captain, was a scoring runner for his cross country team that placed fourth in the state two years in a row, shadowed multiple physicians and he had some compelling community service work. That kid didn't even get waitlisted at any of the ivies he applied to, including Cornell. Tell me how that kid was a slacker compared to the brilliant international students that were accepted.

And while these universities may fancy themselves educators of the world, let's not forget that they are given quite a bit of research funding from the American government. So, yeah, American tax payers subsidize these schools and so Americans shouldn't get pushed out. And they are. My analysis proves it and the example above is just one of many that I know of. There are a ton of legacies that I know that didn't get into the same school as their parents and these kids were not "mediocre" in any way. You may think 500 is a small number but I don't. What do you think happens when you add all of the international students from all of the tier 1 and tier 2 schools, including the top LACs?

And about the diversity argument, the vast majority of international students come from India and China. When you add them to the Asian-American kids, the schools don't need to add more to add diversity. In fact, it reduces diversity. Maybe the government should cap student visas for Chinese and Indian students and give more to students from other parts of the world. That would actually increase diversity.
  • miscparentnamemiscparentname Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    edited April 2018
    and yet my kid with lower stats, and no ECs to speak of, no hooks, got accepted into the Cornell Engineering school Why was this student chosen over the example you gave? we may never know, maybe the teachers had something to say about their personalities, maybe the reputation of the high school's rigor, or the sense of the applicant's vision from their essays.. the point is you are so hung up on your one example, and you're taking it out on international students.

fyi the 500 international students are from 93 different nations

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/10/how-the-internet-wrecked-college-admissions/504062/

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-admissions-playbook/2015/09/09/what-rising-college-application-volume-means-for-the-class-of-2020

https://www.colby.edu/news/2017/03/01/applications-to-colby-surge-for-third-straight-year/

one more
    http://nation.time.com/2013/05/01/as-college-applications-rise-so-does-indecision/

it's the common app... not international students
  • NotPeeCeeNotPeeCee Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    To all. Just to be clear, I am not advocating shutting out all international students. I am not even suggesting the number needs to be decreased, although it may. I am saying that there are many reasons why the hyper-exponential growth might be a bad thing and that, maybe, some regulation is needed. In 1976, there were 101 thousand international students. In 2001, that number grew to 204 thousand. In 2014 it was 434 thousand. At the current growth rate, it will be 1 million in 2023. In 1976, no one noticed as it was a non-issue. In 2001 people were starting to notice. In 2014 people have started to wonder if the growth is excessive. At what point will it be an issue? Is 1 million still OK? In 2031 it will be 2 million. Would that still be OK? Is there any level at which this would be an issue? As this continues, there will actually be less diversity at the top universities. And, at some point, the growth in kids entering the same small number of fields will exceed the growth in those fields no matter what economic argument is used. The whole economy needs to grow, not just a handful of fields. We need more people skilled in the trades too. Maybe we can create new visas for people willing to come in and go to school for those skills.
  • LondonVallLondonVall Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    @NotPeeCee Lol dude that kid you just described is medicore compared to the rest of Ivy applicants. Literally we all have those same test scores (or better). We all are at the top of our ECs. We all have dominated in our respective fields. I'm sorry, but compared to the rest of us, that kid IS medicore. I would recommend checking out some of the ivy decision threads...
  • HERCULES_HERCULESHERCULES_HERCULES Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    lol just go for graduate school. I’m upset about my transfer option but I’m not going to sit here and pervert the success of others regardless of their citizenship status.
  • kidodiekidodie Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Congrats again to all of the accepted students. From whatever corner of the world you come from.
  • bubblypop8bubblypop8 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @Ranza123 How do placement exams work? Since we won't know what class to take until orientation, what do we sign up for during the registration period in July?
  • miscparentnamemiscparentname Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    the first couple weeks of class is an add/drop period, so if you placed out of a class using the CASE exam, then you could drop the class, and then add a different one
  • Ranza123Ranza123 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    @bubblypop8 I never took any placement exams, so I can't be a ton of help. But my understanding is that when you register for classes in July, register for the course you believe you will test into (based on the course descriptions). And then, as is stated above, if you end up placing into a different course level, you can drop the incorrect course and add the correct one during the first couple weeks of the semester. For more specific help regarding the placement tests you plan to take, you can reach out to your college or advisor; they should hopefully be able to give you better/more specific instructions.
  • kat2018kat2018 Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Just got rejected in RD round this year...Congrats to all the accepted students!
  • bogeyorparbogeyorpar Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    @kat2018, they are still rejecting people this late? Which college did you apply to?