Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Cornell Human Ecology Class of 2022 PAM Major Deferred (ED)

nobody76nobody76 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
Hi all,

I was deferred as an out of state applicant from Cornell Human Ecology as a PAM major for early decision. 15 students at my school applied to Cornell University this year, and specifically 4 students applied (including myself) to the College of Human Ecology, and two students were accepted (they were the only two acceptances of the 15 applicants). Along with a friend of mine who applied to the Agriculture and Life Sciences school, there were a total of two deferred applicants.

After being deferred, I sent a letter to the Cornell Undergraduate Admissions officers telling them about my willingness to commit to Cornell if I was accepted in the regular decision round, even if I got in to other prestigious universities. Along with that, I was able to get recommendation letters from the mayor of my city (who supervised a policy making group that I was a part of for 4 years) and from the organizers of a photography volunteer organization that I worked with in Nepal. Along with this, my counselor himself has also added a recommendation talking about my will to commit to Cornell University amongst all other schools, if I were accepted.

Along with these recommendation letters and letters of commitment, I will also be sending mid-year reports, which show an increase in my GPA even though I took two more APs compared to my junior year.

In terms of stats..
1560 SAT 1
SAT 2 Math 800, Chemistry 770, World History 800
AP Classes (with scores): World History (4), US History (5), Chemistry (5), Language and Composition (5), Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, Psychology, Art History, Calculus AB (9 APs)

Was a member of policy making organization for youth rights in Seoul and Korea (both regional and national)
Was a volunteer tutor for a photography tutoring program for Nepalese Youth
Captain/Leader of a volunteer organization helping children with special needs
President of school photography club
Treasurer of school history club
Member of varsity swim team for 4 years

11 awards and honors listed in resume

Is there anything else I could to help my case in the regular decision round as a deferred applicant? And also, does anyone know the date when regular decision applicants/deferred applicants receive their results?

Thank you everyone!

Replies to: Cornell Human Ecology Class of 2022 PAM Major Deferred (ED)