Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

B+ Junior Year

hopestobehopestobe Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
My top 3 schools are Cornell, Dartmouth and Brown. And up to this point I've had a 4.0, but in AP Physics 1 I think I'm only going to be able to pull off a B+. Only one person last year got an A in this class and its really difficult. By senior year I will have taken 8 APs: AP Biology, AP US History, AP World History, AP Physics 1, AP English Lit, AP Calc BC, AP English Lang, and AP Psychology. My entire courseload is either honors, AP or dual enrollment. I got a 1510 on my SAT. Will a B+ in my Junior year absolutely kill my shot at these 3 schools? My cumulative UW GPA would drop to a 3.98.

Replies to: B+ Junior Year

• hopestobehopestobe Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    edited January 11
    Also I will likely do ED at either Cornell or Brown, with an intended major in English (I have received A+ in all of my English courses thus far)
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 581 Member
    I don't really think they care, you're still at like the 75th percentile.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 34,554 Super Moderator
    If any of these schools reject you, it will not be because of a B+.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 9,858 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Will a B+ in my Junior year absolutely kill my shot
    Like many HS kids you seem to see the world in black or white terms. Once your gpa is good enough to show you can handle the work then all the other stuff comes into play: your recs, your essays, your scores, your ECs, etc. A few B's are not the make-or-break factor, nor do the kids with a 4.0 get into any school they want.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    It's not just about the GPA. In fact, I think schools do NOT want perfect GPAs because that sends a message that either your school is too easy, or you are a perfectionist.