Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why was I rejected ED?

Replies to: Why was I rejected ED?

• armianarmian Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    edited March 4
    @bluebayou @collegemom3717 @intparent thank you for the advice. i will be sure to go see her. it might have been the recommendations because my school is in a pretty low socioeconomic area. not many people apply to top schools. most students go to a local community college. it is a 80% minority school, and I don't think the teachers or counselors have much experience with writing recommendations (they told me this). i showed them MIT's guide to writing a good letter of recommendation, though. i didn't really want to tell them what to write or sound too pushy because i did the FERPA thing, which prohibits me from viewing their recommendation.
  • Mickey2DadMickey2Dad Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    The resume exudes "perfection".. maybe too perfect in the eyes of some AOs. Maybe they question how you would handle "failure" experience, a setback so to speak. There isn't much you can do at this stage, college final decisions will come out in the next 3-4 wks. With your profile, I'd be surprised you don't get one of the "reach' schools you have applied (stats heavy school like Caltech probably would enjoy reading your profile, IMO). Best of luck.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,576 Senior Member
    Though, along with all the positive statements, I offer this: Cornell admits 14.1% of its applicants. That's less than one out of every seven. They could happily fill in their entire freshman class with people with the same perfection-in-everything record that you have and still have some left over to reject.

It is the nature of the system—and as a result, setting your sights utterly and devotedly on a single college is rather shortsighted, and often ends in tears. This is, of course, not limited to colleges—a lot of things in life work this way.

You have learned this the hard way. It is, however, better to learn this earlier than later. Recognize that you won't go to Cornell, but it's not like your life is over at this point—after all, with your profile there will be any number of other colleges that would be more than happy to have you, and you're likely to be successful wherever you go, whether it's, say, Dartmouth or (the honors program, presumably, at) your state's public flagship, or even some not-well-known public regional somewhere.
  • greenfrogmemesgreenfrogmemes Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    >reddit is full of high school kids who have no clue what they are talking about in college admissions.

hahaha plebbit has more of a clue than college conf, trust me on that.
    Hey, prove them wrong later in life. College isn't about where you go, but it's about what do you in college. You could always transfer in next year!
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    Your profile is really stellar. Congratulations!

Did you visit Cornell and document your interest? Did any of your essays discuss Cornell and how it was a good fit for you, and you a good fit for them?

I'd say that it's possible that you got "tufted" but you applied ED and would have had to matriculate if admitted, so that shouldn't be it. Maybe they thought that you'd weasel out of ED based on a claim of insufficient financial aid?
    @whatisyourquest Cornell does not calculate demonstrated interest, nor does it practice Tufts Syndrome.
    W/ those stats I'm shocked they didn't admit you. A college that's better than Cornell will admit you, and you'll probably look back at this and laugh at it. Don't keep your head down m8.
    edited March 4
    @greenfrogmemes Every university wants to "feel the love" whether they say so or not. And how in the world would you know that they don't protect yield by rejecting overqualified candidates? Are you in admissions at Cornell?
    edited March 4
    @whatisyourquest Cornell's Common Data Set has "Level of Applicant's Interest" as Not Considered. Top schools don't consider interest because they know that everyone wants to go to them.

Also ED is binding so they can't really get out of it. Yield Protection would make no sense because if admitted he would have to go no matter what.
    edited March 4
    And you believe that everything that universities put in the CDS is gospel? I have a bridge that I want to sell you. Universities care about yield. Period.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    I think that you still have a decent chance to get into at least one of your reach schools.

For what it is worth (probably not much), when I went back to graduate school Cornell was my first choice and the only school I visited (a 2,000 mile trip). I didn't get in and had to go to my second choice, which is higher ranked than Cornell and is on the list of schools that you applied to. I loved it and was very grateful to Cornell for rejecting me. You never know how things are going to work out.

@armian you have great stats, particularly coming from a low income area. I expect you to get some more acceptances although we can never be sure. Good luck and best wishes. Let us know how this works out.
    @whatisyourquest ...Early Decision is a binding agreement and if admitted he would have to attend no matter what.

Also facts trump opinion.
    edited March 4
    Nope, if the financial aid package is insufficient (the OP's family income is only $50k so they would likely need lots of financial aid) he would not have to matriculate. Cornell claims to be "full need" but there is no way that universities can admit an entire class of students that require FA.
    @whatisyourquest Cornell is also need blind, meaning financial status does not affect admissions decision.

Case in point, you're basing everything off of falsified opinion and not facts.