Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why was I rejected ED?

Replies to: Why was I rejected ED?

• MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    @armian Look at it this way: Cornell basically said, "You're a phenomenal student with astounding stats. We think there are other schools out there that deserve you more than we do."

Be proud of what you have accomplished so far. Best wishes to you.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 569 Member
    @armian Look at it this way: Cornell basically said, "You're a phenomenal student with astounding stats. We think there are other schools out there that deserve you more than we do."

Ditto. You sound amazing. Please get some sleep and know that great things are waiting for you somewhere.
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,896 Senior Member
    ^ LOL!
  • newHSmomnewHSmom Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    @MrElonMusk @chb088 @monydad Your responses are so inspiring. I hope Op reads your comments and gets some relief.
    "Success is the ability to go from a failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" -Winston Churchill.
    Hope you will soon be able to laugh off today's frustration. You define Yourself.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    Sorry that is shaking your confidence. Lots of kids with your stats get rejected tho. Chin up and keep looking forward!
  • worrymom2018worrymom2018 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    What a great achievement ! I believe you will hear great news in 2~3 weeks !
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,785 Senior Member
    edited March 7
    @armian I went to Cornell. You are too perfect in a purely academic way to get into Cornell. Strange but it could be true. With perfect stats like that, you need to write real emotional essays showing vulnerability to increase your chances because schools will think you seek perfection too hard.

Go to Honors College for free, kick bu**s there because you have what it takes to do that easily and go to a top graduate school.

Do not ever let rejections from colleges shake your confidence. Your stats are better than 90% of kids at top schools. IMO.

If you get into Stanford — I think they should accept you — let me know so I can introduce my son to you (he will be a freshman there next year) so you can help him in his CS class. Lol. He’s a non-STEM kid who might take CS Intro class to broaden his horizon.

Heck, set your sight higher than Cornell. Think good riddance. I would be insulted and not even go there if I am accepted during RD. Lol. My kid didn’t even want to apply to Cornell even with the legacy advantage. Lol
    edited March 7
    With all due respect to Cornell, you need more challenge than what you will get at Cornell. You should apply to CalTech for sure, MIT, Harvey Mudd, Stanford, Georgia Tech, University of Illinois etc. and then two or three safeties that will offer you full rides.

What made you apply to Cornell? It's cold there, very cold. You remind me of my friend who went to MIT and got nearly all As.

One of my good traits was that when I got mad, I worked harder instead of drinking, getting depressed or worried. You should be absolutely proud of your achievements and have a great deal of confidence that no matter where you go, you will shine in your field.
  • monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    edited March 8
    FWIW, re #84-85, while I can agree that it is cold there ( during a good chunk of the school year, anyway), I do not agree that OP is "too perfect" to be admitted, or OP would "need more challenge" if OP attended there.

I have, however, seen other cases right here on CC where the university rejected in ED a seemingly very highly qualified candidate. In all likelihood, IMO, because, after reviewing the whole application, the applicant did not really fit that well with what they were applying for. They thought the applicant would find schools that fit better in RD. Seems surprising that they would behave in such an altruistic manner, but I could think of no other explanation. Though of course they do care about fit and don't want unhappy students or people transferring out.

But none of us have read OP's whole application, or compared it with the applications of other candidates. So who really knows.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    All is not fair in love, war and college admissions. I tell my kids "Bloom where your're planted." That's all any of us can do. Shake off disappointment and look for your next opportunity. Life is all about making good on opportunities that come your way. You can't do anything about the ones that overlook you.
    edited March 8
    Just think adcoms make mistakes all the time. One girl not going out on a date does not mean other girls won’t go out on dates with you. Maybe you will be thankful later on that this girl said no. Life is not an algebraic equation I am afraid.

Actually, you don’t strike me as a good fit for Cornell. I went there and can say you will thrive at some other top schools.
    edited March 8
    Don't get me wrong. I think Cornell is wonderful college which is strong in many diverse areas from architecture program, hotel management, agriculture, Humanities to tough engineering schools. In fact, if it wasn't for the remote location (and summer is wonderful), Cornell would be ranked a lot higher. All I am saying is OP has exceptional hard stats above and beyond even accepted students at top colleges. But really, OP would do well at any good engineering school, so he should really go after merit money or grants, given his family's financial situation. Good luck OP. Tell us where you end up.