Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I still have a chance? Plz Respond -->

AnonymouseCatAnonymouseCat Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
So I've taken ACTs and my composite does not reflect my ability to perform as a student (I know this sounds contradictory considering these tests are supposed to take into account knowledge). I have gotten 34's on individual sections, but not as an overall. So I am wondering, with a 26-28 ACT composite (but 34 on english and reading), is it possible to receive admission to Cornell's CALS. I'm aware that it is a extremely LOW, but if there is any ounce I could get in, I would want to know from hearing others stories.
I have recs from my boss over the summer and two teachers who know me well and here are some of my EC's:
Varsity Badminton 4+
Competitive-Recreational Tennis 8+
Petsitting 2+
Animal Volunteer Work 2+
Business Club participant - design apparel 2+
Co-head of astronomy club 2+
Member of Social Justice Club 1-
Environmental Internship 1
Member of Environmental Club 1
Backstage Techie 2+
^ I might have forgotten some activities, I'm tired

+I took two credit classes at Harvard and NYU in summers 2017 and 2016 respectively, where i have received credits in writing and economics

GPA: My school doesn't hand out GPA nor do they give class rankings (idk y), but if I were to estimate - 3.5+
I also want to add that I have been struggling with an anxiety disorder, for which I was finally prescribed medication to appease some of the effects. This has hindered my academic performance in many ways, which shines through on testing and such

Replies to: Do I still have a chance? Plz Respond -->

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 21,954 Forum Champion
    Your ACT is well below the 25th percentile for Cornell so chances for admission as an unhooked applicant would be slim. With admissions rates of under 15 percent Cornell has to.reject many extremely well qualified applicants. You may want to look into some test optional.colleges.
  • bestmom888bestmom888 Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    I'd have to agree with the previous poster. I don't think your chances are good, unless you have a gigantic hook. What other schools did you apply?