Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Cornell Engineering Almost Junior, Ask me Anything

doldrumdoldrum Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
Lost a bet...

Will answer any questions about Cornell to the best of my ability~

Replies to: Cornell Engineering Almost Junior, Ask me Anything

• GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    DD trying to decide between Cornell, VT, RPI, Case Western for engineering. Cornell will cost more than $100K more than the other schools, which all have her merit money except for VT, which is just lower cost even at full price.

She is stuck in a pro-con list. She didn’t even WANT to apply to Cornell, but her Dad made her - and now keeps saying “don’t expect us to help you with grad school if you pick Cornell! We will be effing broke!”
    So really- is it worth paying that much more???
  • doldrumdoldrum Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    It depends a lot on the type of engineering. It is definitely more likely that for certain types of engineering (CS, ECE, ORIE) Cornell engineers have higher starting salaries than other school's engineers.

You are also paying for the once in a lifetime experience to be an apprentice under world-class researchers. If I had the choice, I would pick Cornell because of this--you never know, maybe later in life something she picks up here will lead to the next Facebook.

Cornell's curriculum and atmosphere is also significantly more difficult than those schools listed. You will probably be more challenged here than elsewhere.

Best