Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Binghamton Cornell Transfer?

PleaseHelp124578PleaseHelp124578 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am currently a freshman at SUNY Binghamton. I originally was supposed to attend West Point received a Congressional Nomination, qualified academically & physically, but I was medically disqualified due to my ADHD medication. I was told by my field force representative to spend a semester at another school (I chose Binghamton because it was relatively good academically and cheap), but when I came off of the medication I had a really tough time coping. I finished the semester with a 2.0 and immediately went back onto my medication. This semester, on medication, I am expecting to finish with a 4.0.

Binghamton is a living hell for me. The classes are ridiculously easy, the people here are terrible, there have been 3 murders on campus (one happening next door to me), and for a variety of other reasons, I need to leave; however, I won't transfer into another school unless it is better than Binghamton. I have been in contact with the admissions team at Cornell, but I'm wondering: what are my chances of getting in and what other options do I have for school?

In terms of extracurriculars, I was a 4 sport athlete in high school, was the runner up for governor at Boys' State, worked for Congressman King, raised over $20,000 through multiple charity events I organized, and have a bunch more community service/internships/volunteerwork.

In highschool, my grades were in the low 90s, however, I went to a very difficult all boy private school that also did not curve/weight grades. My ACT score was a 30. Although last semester I held a 2.0 (which I know is really bad, wondering how much that will effect me especially with everything else), I have a 4.0 this semester and most likely can do it again next semester.

I am a Poli Sci major minoring in Economics and my overall goal is law school.

What are my chances to transfer into Cornell, and what other schools should I consider?

Replies to: Binghamton Cornell Transfer?

• monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,677 Senior Member
    edited May 10
    Poli Sci major and economics minor are so generic, almost every university in the country has them.
    The more selective the school is, the more you will want to identify why that particular school and its programs are uniquely able to meet your educational needs much better than your current school.
    BTW Cornell does not have a poli sci major. They have a Government major in CAS, and a policy major in Hum Ec.

Few schools publish stats of transfer students, or how they would evaluate a 2.0 without meds vs a 4.0 with meds. So there are no guideposts for anyone to handicap your admissions chances, at Cornell or anyplace else really. Except that schools that are very selective will be more difficult to transfer to. Cornell CAS is very selective.

"Other schools" could include virtually any school that is ranked above Binghamton. So get a US News and pick some. Based on whatever criteria are important to you.

Law school is expensive, So cost may be a factor for you.

Do well in Binghamton poli sci or PPL, with a good LSAT, you should be able to get into a good law school, I would imagine. Without having paid a lot for undergrad.,

If you want to stay in western NY, U Rochester may be a good transfer target. For one.