Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Biological Engineering major in CALS

idkwhatmynameis1idkwhatmynameis1 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
How competitive is the Cornell BE major in CALS? I'm very strong in biology but math is probably my weakest subject. I'm consistently around a 680 to 700 math score on the SAT and have had low As in the every math class I've had in high school. That being said, BE is more interesting to me than a biological sciences major. However, if I wouldn't be a competitive applicant for BE than I would rather be a biological sciences major than not get in at all. Thoughts?

Replies to: Cornell Biological Engineering major in CALS

• patattypatatty Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    I think one question you need to ask yourself is: if you get in, can you handle the courseload? Biological engineering requires 16 credits of math, and they are not easy. My daughter is an engineer (not BE), and entered Cornell with top standardized test scores and a 5 on the AP BC test. She also took an intro multivariable calculus class in high school. She says that her math classes at Cornell are tougher than any others she has taken and will probably be her lowest grades. Even though BE in CALS may have different distribution requirements, it still has all of the same math requirements as the College of Engineering.