Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• SnekfestSnekfest Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    @gapyearapplicant assuming CALS? Amazing stats and grades for Chem wishing you luck!
  • Interested1945Interested1945 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Welp my econ prof isn't curving the class even though he sucks. Rip me.
  • avkhatri101avkhatri101 Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Hello all, I am also applying to Cornell this Fall to CALS as a Junoir. I felt like I could share some of my stats and get some feedback on our journey.

College Stats:
    GPA: 4.0
    Physics and Mathematics double major
    48 credits completed as of right now, and 64 at the time of transfer
    Current School: Southern Illinois University (IL)

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) to be given yet. Hopefully, I can score above 100/120 and if not, I don't meet English Proficiency and can't apply.

Relevant courses taken:
    Calculus I (4 cr, A)
    Calculus II (4 cr, A)
    Calculus III (3 cr, A)
    Intr. to Diff. Equations (3 cr, A)
    University Physics I with lab (3+1 cr, A's in both)
    University Physics II with lab (3+1 cr, A's in both)
    Theoretical Methods in Physics (3 cr, A)
    Honors Chemistry with lab (4+1 cr, A's in both)

College EC's:
    University Honors Program, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Society of Physics Students, few community services, served as executive member for International Student Council for one year and international Registered Student Organization since Fall '17, some merit and departmental scholarships.

High School Stats
    New SAT: 1420
    GPA: 4.0 (WES credential evaluation) - international high school

No AP's

High School EC's:
    Few community services, few awards, Science and Technology Club.

Anybody can tell me my chances? I am an international student requiring a lot of financial aid need. Honestly, I can only pay up to 5-6k per year.
    Honestly seeing all these stats, boys we might pack it up now wow...
  • polyscidreamerpolyscidreamer Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Hey guys! Also looking to apply to Cornell fall 2019. I’m applying to 30 schools and just now started my essays. Also for FASFA/CSS we should have already had it done correct?
    @polyscidreamer what do you mean have already done it? I think you have until the end of spring semester around that time to submit but that's a bad idea. You want to submit CSS/ FAFSA as soon as possible. As funds are given on rolling basis, so apply before they run out.

In regards to when to complete and send them. FAFSA seems not to be an issue to be done BEFORE applying/ finishing the application. Not sure about cornell but tried with other schools and they prefer sending documents and other materials AFTER you send your common app. Again not sure if that will be the same for the CSS profile but something worth mentioning I thought. Cheers and GL everyone!
  • AshtashAshtash Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    Is anyone here a non GT?
    I'm currently a political science major at Northeastern.

High School GPA: 3.85 UW/4.28 W (doesn't rank but probably top 12%)

ACT: 33
    Current College GPA: 4.0
    High school ECs: mock trial captain, big mock trial awards, founded non-profit, debate, some really good leadership positions/did important things with these positions, some other stuff

College: Leadership in student government, 20 hr/week internship, may do research next semester, still running non-profit

Essays: Really good at these, so hoping they'll be great

LORs: Should be good. Have high As in the classes of the professors I'm asking for LORs from. One of the knows me really well because of my research interests and I participate a lot in the other class
  • bhdot27bhdot27 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Can anyone clarify for me how many essays are required in this application? I see the writing supplement for CALS, but is a personal statement also required as well?
    @bhdot27 had the same question and when I emailed CALS to ask they said, just the regular supplement is required but if I wanted to write something beyond what my application shows, I could write something for the documents section personal statement.
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    @snekfest @bhdot27 finally! every forum people talked about writing their "personal statement's", yet I noticed no school actually had one, they only had their own questions. I was such a stressed mess!
  • andrewmyles80andrewmyles80 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm applying to the College of Human Ecology as a Policy Analysis and Management major. I go to a NYS community college that Cornell takes a lot of transfers from. In fact, they're at our transfer fair every semester.
    - 3.6 GPA
    - Phi Theta Kappa and honors program
    - Works 3 jobs to pay for school
    - 19 year old african american male
    - Intern at a healthcare policy analysis firm on Wall Street and have written research that has gone out to investment
    banks and private equity firms.
    - Work and volunteer as an EMT
    - Top essays
    - Top LORs from my honors econ and political science professors, the CFO of my firm who's an alumni, and my
    mentor who is also an alumni on one of the advisory boards.

I also met with the senior associate director of admissions for humec and we talked for over an hour and connected really well. I hope I get in!
  • KPitsMEKPitsME Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    School- De Anza CC Cupertino Ca "Top Rate California CC"
    Age - 31 Year Old Non-Traditional Student
    Race - Native American/ Caucasian
    GPA - 3.75 (De Anza)
    Credits earned AA Honors Degree - 120 college credit hours earned at De Anza in 6 quarters

EC+Achievements

De Anza Honors Program
    Dean’s List for Academic Achievement
    Phi Theta Kappa
    Summa Cum Laude Graduate
    Humanities Mellon Scholar w /University of San Francisco and De Anza.
    VA volunteer for mental health and assistance for VETs
    Local Sunnyvale Community Services Volunteer for 2 years developed contacts to push 0 waste initiative at several local grocery stores in Cupertino and local communities.
    Volunteer At Momentum Mental Health care in Palo Alto
    Neuroscience Club at De Anza CC
    Master Gardener specializing in bio dynamic systems for agriculture, including 10 years experience developing Several self sustainable off the grid, green energy, properties in Northern California.

High School - Diploma / Graduate 2005 - History/ Gaps
    In my childhood I was diagnosed with severe Dyslexia and Dysgraphia
    Overcame disabilities and started taking advanced classes at Space Center Houston Texas in 7th grade
    3.5 Gpa Honors + Dual Credit Classes
    started College at 16 years old in my junior year of high school in 2003
    Moved out of parents house at 17 to start taking classes and for my own personal growth.
    At 18 years old I became very disenfranchised with the education system in Texas and obtained from college in 2006.
    Found myself in some Legal trouble and was placed on probation from 2006-2008 for partying and DUI.
    Successfully Complete probation In the year 2008 And moved to California
    I attended 1 quarter of CC at HCC in 2008 and immediately moved to California when I completed the classes
    Started a consulting firm in 2009 specializing in bio dynamic systems for agriculture, and self sustainable off the grid green energy properties.
    Successfully developed green properties with closed loop Input system for agriculture
    Manufactured and Developed numerous methods to enhance the biodiversity for biological solutions for conventional agriculture.

In February 2017 I was in a very bad accident and left with a severe concussion resulting from a serious fall. Over the next few months I experienced severe PTSD and psychosis stemming from the fall. My family and I decided that for my own personal health I needed to take time off and I moved to Cupertino California to recover from the injury. In August of 2017 about 6 months after the accident I decided to take a chance and I enroll in the local college at De Anza CC. Within 3 months I found myself extremely enthusiastic about learning for the first time in honestly 15 years. Challenging the Banking Method most of my classes opened me up to a new world of existential thinking and this sparked a fire in me.
    Fall 2017 - Spring 2019 Over the next 6 quarters i accumulated 120 hours of credit and on a path to double major participating in multiple honors and scholar programs and local community services.

Story is much more complex but those are my basic cred...

Best of luck to all and go for it you miss every shot you do not take!!!
    @KPitsME I think you have a really good shot. You should look into top liberal arts schools. They take very few transfers, but they seem to favor non-traditional students.
  • KPitsMEKPitsME Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    thanks so much i will look into that i am open to suggestions