right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• bhdot27bhdot27 11 replies0 threads New Member
    How much would having a letter of recommendation from a Professor who previously taught at Cornell help?
    · Reply · Share
  • kcasssuukcasssuu 482 replies13 threads Member
    @bhdot27 Depending on who the professor is. I would say in most cases; they would have the same consideration.
    · Reply · Share
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive 63 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @bhdot27 I disagree with the previous response to your question. I think it would mean more than just a normal professor. this person can attest to how they believe that you as a student would do at Cornell, via experience.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi, does anyone know when we can start expecting decisions? I know applications aren't even due yet, but I was just wondering what to expect.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnekfestSnekfest 127 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @sstayingpositive stalking old threads it seems to be mid April-May. The exact date for last time was April 17 - (4/17) and historically it seems to be 4/17.
    Although Cornell says May-June https://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/application-timelines

I'll be holding my breath till 4/17 and wishing you all luck.
    · Reply · Share
    Given that the common app transfer essay is not required, would not sending one be disadvantageous?
    · Reply · Share
  • SnekfestSnekfest 127 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @bhdot27 not sure about your school but when I reached out to CALS they said just the prompt in the question is what's important. They said not to worry about uploading the document essay unless I feel that I need to say something else beyond my application, otherwise I was good just answering the prompt in the question tab :) GL!
    · Reply · Share
  • NovelicaNovelica 53 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this year's virtual lottery ;)
    Brief stats:
    4.0/4.0 GPA
    Major: Mechanical Engineering
    Large Community College in Houston Area
    E.Cs: Student Government President, STEM club coordinator, Political advocacy in several campaigns, Honors College, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Real Estate Agent
    Essays: Emphasis and focus on how my story applies to colleges
    LoR from Honors College director who has also been my professor for history, and also advisor for one of the clubs who can substantiate my achievements and also was my professor for government.
    · Reply · Share
    Does anyone know for the midterm grade report, if a class is taught by a TA do we need both the TA and Professor signature?
    · Reply · Share
  • coolfamcoolfam 33 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Hi, I am extremely confused about the midterm grade report. If I am attending two universities simultaneously should I submit two? And what if I have some online classes? Does an electronic signature work? Or do they need to be signed by hand? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • AyeitsethoAyeitsetho 18 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @coolfam I would send it in from both universities
    · Reply · Share
  • fuzzycupcake17fuzzycupcake17 17 replies0 threads Junior Member
    For the midterm report is an exact letter grade required? One of my professors insisted on just writing "satisfactory".
    · Reply · Share
  • polarrrizepolarrrize 36 replies14 threads Junior Member
    @fuzzycupcake17 I would definitely include an exact letter grade. I have one weird course that isn't even a real class, it's just something I had to enroll in if I wanted to freely work out in the gym at my school. It's a pass/no pass grade. I had the instructor associated with the course put a "P" and under the comments he explained "student is on pace to pass the course" even though there's not a super accurate way to gauge that...I've logged 10 hours out of the 32 required in our gym so far. But I guarantee Cornell wants to see some type of letter.
    · Reply · Share
  • polarrrizepolarrrize 36 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Hey everyone, so I decided to apply to Cornell pretty last minute (seriously, began looking into the school around late January and just submitted every component of my application) and boy was it a LOT of work to gather everything but I'm so happy I took the plunge and got everything squared away.

Here are my stats:
    College Stats:
    GPA: 3.88 (all A's, one C in a dance history course that luckily no longer has anything to do with my major)
    Major: Psychology
    56 credits completed as of right now, and 73 at the time of transfer
    Current School: San Diego Mesa College (community college)

Relevant courses taken:
    Psych 101
    Behavioral Science Statistics
    Behavioral Science Statistics Lab
    Physiological Psychology
    Lifespan Development of Psychology
    Psychology of Learning
    Career Opportunities in Psychology
    Intro to Research Methods
    General Biology

College EC's:
    I am a working student so work is what I have to devote a decent amount of my non-school time to, though I made sure to indicate ALL of my somewhat extensive employment history on the Common App. Aside from that, I have performed in the student choreographed dance concert in Spring 2018 and again coming up this Spring 2019. I also did voluntary research to formulate a mental health questionnaire for a small biotechnology company to be used in conjunction with treatment for a dermatological disease. Quality over quantity in my case.

High School Stats
    Did not take ACT or SAT
    GPA: 3.85
    My school did not offer AP classes, which I briefly mentioned in my essay explaining that I am looking forward to the opportunity to finally get to challenge myself at Cornell.
    Did take a couple honors courses, like Honors English though.

High School EC's:
    Was also employed during high school, but volunteered extensively at my local dance studio, assistant-taught classes, helped with performances, ordered costumes, along with being on the studio's competition team competing a number of solos and group dances. Inducted into the National Honor Society for Dance Arts due to the volunteer hours.

Not sure where my chances lie, but my GPA and writing skills are strong enough that I believe there's a chance. I feel super confident in my supplemental prompt. I usually finish essays in an evening, but I spent a full week on that thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolfamcoolfam 33 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I sent my transcripts a couple of weeks ago but I just ordered them from my college online...they don't do it in person, so I couldn't include the official "transcript request" form from the common app. Will this mean Cornell won't get it or won't be able to put it in my application?? Do I have to send all of them again?
    Any and all information is appreciated let me know. I'm super worried :/
    · Reply · Share
  • wanjunhingwanjunhing 45 replies0 threads Junior Member
    my current institution operates based on a quarter system and my quarter ends next week. how should i send my midterm report?
    · Reply · Share
  • TygermasTygermas 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hey guys whats up? I'm applying to Cornell as well for a junior transfer in fall 2019 from the University of Toronto for Computer Science. My GPA is 4.0, SAT is 1470, released multiple games on the Play Store, Pearson Scholar, established author, and have launched a startup. What are my chances?
    · Reply · Share
  • ivyleveredivylevered 10 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey all, I'm applying to AEM as a junior year transfer. I am coming from a university in the USNews T50, but my school does not have a strong network in the field I want to work in.

Stats:
    Ethnicity/Gender: African American Male, First Generation
    GPA: 4.0
    SAT: 1450
    ACT: 35
    Credits Completed: 47, 15 in progress

EC's:
    -President of two clubs, one is a social impact club and the other is an investment fund where I am the Chief Investment Officer, promoted after 2 semesters of success in my role as PM
    -Mentor at my former high school

Work Exp:
    -Summer internship at a bulge bracket bank in private wealth management last summer
    -Summer analyst at a bulge bracket bank in investment banking this summer (GS/MS/JPM)
    -Part time SDE intern for a startup that has gotten quite a bit of success and has been featured on a lot of popular tech articles this year (techcrunch, venturebeat, google ventures, etc)

Letters of Rec:
    -Econ professor
    -Former boss,
    -Accounting prof

I'm applying to UVA McIntire, Georgetown McDonough, NYU Stern, Princeton, Northwestern, Duke, Dartmouth, Columbia, and Berkeley Haas!
    · Reply · Share
  • SKYDMZSKYDMZ 44 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Hi everyone I've just submitted my application for transfer and sent all the supplements
    College: Community College in Virginia
    Major: Computer Science (Junior Transfer)

GPA: 4.0/4.0, midterm report all A's
    SAT: 1540 (taken once but took it last year(sophomore) as I came to America 1 year half years ago)
    Subject: Math2: 800
    Credits Completed: 63, 18 in progress

EC: Not really much, just club activities(cs related), undergraduate research paper, orchestra, swimming team captain, some cs related volunteer work

Work Exp: Logistics center, hotel, private math, computer science tutor

Letters of Rec:
    Cs professor, English Professor, Music Professor

Engineering supplement: I think I have all the required courses and recommended courses except 1 computer science class

Also applied: UCB(EECS), UCLA,UCI,UCD,UCSD, UVA , VT

I hope we all have good results! I really want to go to Cornell but heard it is very competitive especially for the engineering school.... I have guaranteed admission to UVA and Virginia Tech but Cornell is my top choice!

· Reply · Share
    Cornell regular came out today. ah.
    · Reply · Share