right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• bvbchampsbvbchamps 85 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    I have a 3.88 college gpa from a t20, a 3.5hs gpa, and a 33 ACT applying either CAS econ or ILR. I've heard CAS is tough for transfers, is ILR the better route to go?
    · Reply · Share
  • min517min517 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey everyone! I'm applying as a sophomore transfer for fall 2019 as well:) Here are my stats:

Current school: top 20 private university
    Race: white and Native American (Cherokee Nation)
    Home state: Ohio
    ACT: 35 composite (36M, 36S, 34E, 34R)
    High school GPA: 4.936 weighted
    Class rank (high school): 1/305

College GPA: 4.00 (no honors program available as freshman, but I took a very full course load with notorious premed weed-out classes)
    High school ECs: competitive gymnast from 2008-2018 (stopped due to torn achilles), varsity cross country runner (HS), private viola lessons, peer tutoring, Key Club treasurer
    College ECs: Figure skating club president and founder, Women in STEM club member, tutor for Varsity Tutors, nanoscience lab research job
    Intended major: Materials science and engineering

Awards/honors: Junior Olympic gymnastics gold medalist, three-time Junior Olympic gymnastics silver medalist, two-time Junior Olympic gymnastics bronze medalist, US national gymnastics champion, US national gymnastics bronze medalist, fifteen-time Ohio state gymnastics champion, six-time Ohio state gymnastics silver medalist, six-time Ohio state gymnastics bronze medalist, Ohio High School Athletic Association Scholar Athlete award, valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude latin honors, University of Cincinnati Behavioral Science Award, Ohio Soybean Association Research Award, Anderson Hills Educational Foundation Scholarship, Dean's list, and Phi Eta Sigma Honor Fraternity.

Hooks: Junior Olympic gold medalist and US national champion in gymnastics, had to provide for family due to long-term medical issues last fall and winter while balancing school, ECs, and applications

Reasons for transferring: my current school does not have an engineering department, emphasis on undergraduate research involvement, students are passionate about more than just their school work

Best of luck to everyone applying!
    · Reply · Share
  • transferszntransferszn 51 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @min517 I saw you on another thread, I am not sure all of the schools you are applying to, but I can guarantee you will get into one of these top unis. You have very impressive EC's and the stats to back you up. I am a CC transfer but from what I have read about 4 year to 4 year transfers is to not be overly negative about your school. Really focus on the "why" for transferring. You have very respectable reasons so really focus on that. Good luck
    · Reply · Share
  • min517min517 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @transferszn Appreciate the feedback:) I definitely don't want to be negative about my current school because it's def not a bad school, it's just not a good fit for me. I agree that it's much better to focus on why I love X school and I hope my essays convey that. I'm definitely applying to Vandy, Cornell, UPenn, Northwestnern, Stanford, and possibly more if I can get enough research on them done. Where are you applying?
    · Reply · Share
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive 63 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Hi so does Cornell want the personal statement or not? I'm sorry I'm really confused. Also, there's so little literature on transferring available!
    · Reply · Share
  • transferszntransferszn 51 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @min517 When I can send PMs I'll message you :)

@sstayingpositive I am also confused about this. What I am most likely going to do is use the documents page of the common app to submit my personal statement and then tailor my supplemental essay specifically for Cornell. But I am not sure what the "right" way is.
    · Reply · Share
  • jebsjb212523jebsjb212523 4 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I just wanted to know my chances as a transfer. I will be a sophomore next year and am applying to Dyson. I am currently at a top 50 private university in the business school with an undeclared major. I had a 3.85 GPA first semester, and I'm in a bunch of clubs on campus. Had pretty decent essays and letter of recs. High school GPA was 3.7, and SAT was 1450. Never applied to Cornell before and submitted my stuff on 1/29.
    · Reply · Share
  • qob123qob123 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 11
    Hi,

Applying to Cornell Transfer from Lehigh University (in the business school).. Don't think I'll get it but its worth a shot. Applying to ILR. Not submitting my SATS, I was a previous reject from Cornell, hoping my Freshman Fall is going to help out. On track for a 4.0 this semester with my mid-term report

High School GPA: Not sure, full IB diploma, low 6 average, with not a great senior spring.
    College GPA: 3.71
    Calc w/ Business applications -- B+
    Intro to Real Estate -- A
    Econ 029 (got credit for earlier classes) -- A
    English 001 --- A-
    Business --- A-

Lots of ECs, NYC charity work, run my own business,

Also do I need a personal essay along with the supplement? I'm only applying to cornell and saw no where to put in a personal essay
    edited February 11
    · Reply · Share
  • limitdoesnotexist1limitdoesnotexist1 106 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    I still don't know which school I'm applying to but here's the courses I took as a biology major at community college. All science courses at my school have lab included in the course:

College GPA: 3.83

English I: A
    English II: A
    Biology II: A
    Microbiology: A
    Genetics: A
    Chem I: A
    Chem II: A
    Organic Chem I: A
    Physics III: A
    Honors Into to Ethics: A
    World Civ: A
    Calc I: B
    Calc II: B

current courses:
    Research Experience in Biology
    Organic Chem II
    Physics IV
    Yoga (yes, I'm required to take a yoga class to graduate community college lol)

My high school grades are the same, Bs in honors math and As in everything else.

I don't do a lot of ECs with my school because I spend most of my time either at work or tutoring. I wrote my essay about why I chose to be a biology major and what makes Cornell the best fit for my needs. I heard such great things about Ithaca!!!

· Reply · Share
  • TheWapTrapTheWapTrap 94 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Applying to ILR with minors in Economics and Philosophy through CAS.

· Reply · Share
  • bhdot27bhdot27 11 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    How much would having a letter of recommendation from a Professor who previously taught at Cornell help?
    · Reply · Share
  • kcasssuukcasssuu 400 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 412 Member
    @bhdot27 Depending on who the professor is. I would say in most cases; they would have the same consideration.
    · Reply · Share
  • sstayingpositivesstayingpositive 63 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    @bhdot27 I disagree with the previous response to your question. I think it would mean more than just a normal professor. this person can attest to how they believe that you as a student would do at Cornell, via experience.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi, does anyone know when we can start expecting decisions? I know applications aren't even due yet, but I was just wondering what to expect.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnekfestSnekfest 127 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    @sstayingpositive stalking old threads it seems to be mid April-May. The exact date for last time was April 17 - (4/17) and historically it seems to be 4/17.
    Although Cornell says May-June https://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/application-timelines

I'll be holding my breath till 4/17 and wishing you all luck.
    · Reply · Share