right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Cornell Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• koreanamericanokoreanamericano 24 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Does anyone know what time the deadline for submissions was? It's 10:04 PM EST right now (03/15/2019) and Common App says the deadline for submissions has passed. I thought 11:59 PM on the day was the deadline. RIP.
    · Reply · Share
  • bhdot27bhdot27 11 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/When-is-the-deadline-for-my-application-submission

As long as it was submitted before 11:59 tonight, it should not be considered late. Where did it say the deadline passed?
    · Reply · Share
  • AQArgoAQArgo 54 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @koreanamericano The Ivy League often extends their transfer application deadline. I know Columbia did this year, so you still have hope if they do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • transferrrrrrcctransferrrrrrcc 179 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    cornell hopeful here too lol. do decisions come out around mid-April or is it later than that?
    · Reply · Share
  • enviscimath11enviscimath11 61 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    I'm a guaranteed transfer (formally called transfer option) for CALS as an Environmental and Sustainability Science major. I submitted my main application on January and sent my last application supplement (midterm report) on March 12. I hear that if you submit everything before/near/at the deadline, you could expect to hear back from Cornell mid-April. Otherwise, it'll be as late as early June according to Cornell.
    · Reply · Share
  • Winky1Winky1 1376 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    @enviscimath11 , when did Cornell change the name of the Transfer Option? Just curious.
    · Reply · Share
  • enviscimath11enviscimath11 61 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @Winky1 I'm not exactly sure cause I don't know the entire history of the transfer option at Cornell. I just know that Transfer Option is an equivalent to Guaranteed Transfer as long as one meets the GPA/course requirements for their Cornell major and doesn't get into any trouble during freshman year.
    · Reply · Share
  • Winky1Winky1 1376 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    edited March 19
    My D got a Transfer Option last year to Human Ecology but is not transferring from her school. She's loving the University of Pittsburgh and is thriving. I was curious because when she was registering for classes last summer for her first semester at Pitt, she talked with a Cornell advisor who specifically told her that it's not a guaranteed acceptance. Then she told her what you just said about meeting the GPA and course requirements. I thought maybe they were officially calling it a Guaranteed Transfer now.

Best of luck to you @enviscimath11 and all of the Transfer Options from the 2017-2018 cycle in particular - rooting for you.
    edited March 19
    · Reply · Share
    @Winky1 that's interesting you bring that up. When I first received the offer from Cornell during regular decision last year, I was really skeptical about the program because I thought it was a competition amongst those that received the transfer option. After visiting Cornell campus on July for a Transfer Option Open House, they assured us that it's guaranteed if you meet the academic and disciplinary requirements. It made me feel very relieved and I knew that this isn't an opportunity I'd pass up on despite all the arguments of how this is an unethical practice by Cornell. It's to my understanding that it won't be easy for some students to meet their academic requirements at certain institutions. However, my peers (also Transfer Options in the same current institution) have told me that Cornell will be lenient with them and can cater to their circumstances. So, I think it's overall a good way for people to pursue their dreams of going to Cornell without the immediate transition from HS to Cornell.

Thank you so much by the way! I hope to hear more from all transfer applicants, whether a transfer option or regular!
    · Reply · Share
    You know, @enviscimath11 , I wish all of the Cornell colleges would have a Transfer Option Open House. My D asked a Human Ecology person if they had one because we would've visited again if they did offer one. They told her they did not and that some colleges did. Best wishes. Like my husband has always said, if you want to attend Cornell and graduate with a diploma from there, you can! My D never wanted to pursue it and we brought it up enough to make sure she realized all of the pros and cons. We are at peace with it but only because she knows the pros and cons and is loving her college life as is.
    · Reply · Share
    @Winky1 CALS, HumanEc, ILR, CAS, Dyson are the schools that I know offer the transfer option. I'm not sure about CoE, SHA, or AAP
    · Reply · Share
    Don't you think that the schools within Cornell that offer the TO should also host a TO open house? That seems logical to me. Or if not school specific, host a couple of combo ones? @eviscimath11
    · Reply · Share
    @Winky1 it's at each specific college's discretion to determine whether they want to host such events or not. Since I'm a TO for CALS, I know they've done an open house during the summer. But for the most part, I honestly think the majority of the information is repetitive of what TO candidates receive after getting their letter from Cornell during regular decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • oceansquareoceansquare 163 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Feeling nervous about the notification! Hope we all get in :)
    · Reply · Share
  • yayy12yayy12 40 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @oceansquare all can’t get in but I hope the best and deserving ones get in
    · Reply · Share
    @oceansquare @yayy12 which Cornell colleges did you apply to?
    · Reply · Share
  • justroksjustroks 13 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Hello! I applied as a Fall 2019 transfer as well and could use some feedback on how strong of an applicant I am.

School: Stony Brook University
    Major: Political Science
    Credits: 59 completed
    College GPA: 3.71/4.0 (one C in a Calculus 2 class I did not even need for my major). Overall, very high upward trend: 3.31, 3.82, 4.0
    SAT: 1280 (probably the weakest part of my application)

College extracurriculars: President of my fraternity's chapter at Stony Brook, service trip to Honduras in partnership with Students Helping Honduras, service trip to Pinellas County, Florida in partnership with Habitat for Humanity, Secretary of a club on campus that 3D-prints toys for children in the nearby hospital and daycare, Content creator (writer) for an online writing platform, TA for an Introduction to Stony Brook class, Undergraduate College "Fellow": essentially serves to be an on-campus mentor for first year students, member of the debate club, member of Model United Nations club, Member of Pre-Law Society here at the university. I also have an on-campus job at the Stony Brook business school.

Recommendations: 8-9/10
    Got three professor recommendations. One of them was a writing professor that I had during my first semester in college. She was crying when I walked out on the last day of classes. One of them was my professor for an upper-division political science class (300+ level) I had. I was the youngest student in the class and still received an A. This individual also has a PhD in Political Science. Lastly, another adjunct political science professor at the university wrote about some of my experiences in Honduras as that is her field of study.
    I also got a recommendation from a former high-ranking government official who knows me and my personal life struggles fairly well.

Essays: 7/10. I do believe I could've done better on the essay. I deviated from the prompt and included that in my essay. I was very blunt about the reasons why I wanted to leave my current institution and mentioned some of the specific programs I'd like to take advantage of at Cornell. I also mentioned a specific social program that I would like to be involved in and how that would be a good way to make connections in the field.

High school GPA: 93/100 (we did not have a GPA format). Also very high upward trend: started with getting mid 80s and ended up getting over 100s in my junior/senior years.
    AP courses taken: AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Physics, AP Human Geography, AP US History
    High school extracurriculars: Over 50 volunteer service hours at my local community center, participated at the NY FED Challenge at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, was treasure in Student government, attended various math competitions, took college-credit courses in high-school (2 classes), worked at a construction management firm under as a law apprentice/cost estimator.

Hooks: First generation college student with an absent father and a deceased mother

Any feedback is appreciated! Goodluck to us all
    · Reply · Share
  • oceansquareoceansquare 163 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @enviscimath11: I applied for the School of Architecture, Art, and Planning as a Urban and Regional Studies major! How about you?
    · Reply · Share
  • bujolover25bujolover25 37 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Does anyone know how much the enrollment/housing deposit will be if we are accepted?
    · Reply · Share
  • YunbwYunbw 57 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    My community college's mid-term is around mid-April and I realized the material deadline is around April 15th. Should I try to let my professor get my mid-term report done before the mid-term and send it to Cornell? Thank you
    · Reply · Share