right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

13»

Replies to: Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

• nr2001nr2001 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited January 2019
    Decision: Rejected

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1430 (660 English, 770 Math, didn't send)
    ACT (breakdown): 35 (36 Science, 34 Math, 34 Reading, 35 English)
    SAT II: 800 Math 2, 710 Math 1
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.38
    Weighted GPA: 4.10
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 123/391
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science (5), US Government (3), Chem (4), Physics C Mechanics (4), Comp Sci Principles (5), Macroeconomics (5), Calc AB (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load: English Honors, Comparative Government AP, Calc C AP, French V AP, Comp Sci A AP, Microecon AP, Biology AP
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Eagle Scout, 12th at FBLA Nationals in Agribusiness

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Boy Scouts (SPL), Varsity Track, FBLA, Envirothon (Founder and Prez), Competitive Archer, NHS, Math NHS, SS NHS, Econ Challenge, HOSA,
    Job/Work Experience: Summer job at a vet clinic, job during the school year at Starbucks, campaign intern for a local political campaign.
    Volunteer/Community service: Over 400 hrs through Boy Scouts, 100+ for Red Cross
    Summer Activities:
    Essays (rating 1-10, details):
    Common App (9.5-10, was really really funny and fined tuned, depicted me well)
    CALS Supplement (8-9, I wrote about my experience farming w/ my family for the poor family business in India every summer)

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
    Teacher Rec #1: Econ Teacher, he really likes me and we've talked about my future a lot. (9-10)
    Teacher Rec #2: Environmental Science Teacher, she likes me and knows me really well. (8-9)
    Counselor Rec: Knows me pretty well, was probably pretty good. (8-9)
    Additional Rec: English Teacher, she knows me well, but I don't know well she could've been able to talk about me (7-8)
    Interview: Went well, but not amazing or anything. My interviewer wasn't great either.

Other
    Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major and College: College of Agriculture and Life Sciences - International Agriculture and Rural Development
    State (if domestic applicant): MD
    Country (if international applicant):
    School Type: Competitive Public
    Ethnicity: Indian
    Income Bracket: $131000-$200000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

Reflection
    Strengths: Extracurriculars, ACT score
    Weaknesses: GPA
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: One reason: my GPA. In a school where everyone has 4.5-4.7 Weighted GPA, my 4.10 is terrible. I fell like if I even got a 4.40, I would have been accepted.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: So far, Colorado State w/ Full ride, Deferred from Colorado College, Accepted w/ $9000/year scholarship to UMBC, Accepted to UIUC, Hoping to get into UC Davis and go there for 2 years and then transfer to Cornell, cause CALS has a 45% transfer acceptance rate.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • jeffreyliu89jeffreyliu89 9 replies0 threads New Member
    @all4lax Is there any way I can contact your brother about hotel school as I also got rejected from hotel school ED1 and just wanna ask stats, etc?
    · Reply · Share
  • skewliskewlskewliskewl 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited January 2019
    DECISION: ACCEPTED

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): N/A
    ACT (breakdown): 34 composite; 35 English, 35 Science, 35 Reading, 32 Math, 12 Writing
    SAT II: 740 Lit, 760 Math II
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10 out of 140
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Spanish (4); AP Calc AB (4); AP Lang (5); AP Human Geo (4)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Statistics, AP Comp Sci, AP Brit Lit, Robotics I, II, & III, senior thesis dissertation (highly competitive academic program)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National photography awards, AP Scholar with Honors, Cum Laude Society

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Arts and Literary Magazine (Editor in Chief); Varsity Soccer (4 year letter winner); Varsity Track (4 year letter winner); Activist in school community for LGBT rights

Job/Work Experience: Internship for technology company developing automated software tests

Volunteer/Community service: Writing Center tutor 4 hours/week

Summer Activities: Chile immersion, Costa Rica immersion, teaching myself app development

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9, I wrote it about my struggle as a gay teen in a conservative household, pretty good and convincing writing

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: 10, My AP Lang teacher, also my advisor and staff on the literary magazine--she knows me very well and likes me
    Teacher Rec #2: 7, My AP Calc teacher, he doesn't know me personally, but knows what kind of a student I am
    Counselor Rec: 9, my counselor likes me and is a great writer
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: N/A

Other

Intended Major and College: College of Arts and Sciences, Computer Science
    State (if domestic applicant): Illinois
    Country (if international applicant): N/A
    School Type: Boarding school (private)
    Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket: > $160,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): gay, female in STEM

Reflection

Strengths: My essay was the best part of my application. In addition to that, I've been doing all of my extracurriculars my entire four years of high school, and I think that demonstrated commitment and community involvement.

Weaknesses: SAT II scores

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: TBH I had the gay card and the female in STEM card which probably helped my application. My grades were great, and so was my ACT, and I took the hardest classes my school offers. I emphasized community involvement and my personal experiences, and I think Cornell thought I would be a good fit for their campus.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Deferred from UMich even though I had withdrawn my application

General Comments: I know I was reading this forum like crazy my junior year, just focus on school and maintaining your sanity guys! If a school doesn't accept you, you'll go on to do even better somewhere else. You've got this.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • jeffreyliu89jeffreyliu89 9 replies0 threads New Member
    @all4lax What are ur brother's stats? I also got rejected by Cornell hotel school ED and am really sad.
    · Reply · Share
  • mcfamilyof4mcfamilyof4 75 replies3 threads Junior Member
    are you planning on AFROTC at Cornell?
    · Reply · Share
  • maysunmaysun 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Decision: Deferred

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 790 Math 770 English
    ACT: 35
    SAT II: 800 Math 2 800 Chinese
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    AP (place score in parenthesis): BC Calculus (5), AP Seminar(5), AP Chinese (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: Linear Algebra, AP Biology, Independent Study, AP Statistics, College Social Science Seminar, English 12 Honors, AP Environmental Science
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none lol

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Marching Band Section Leader for 3 years (12) Speech and Debate for 3 years, Jabberwocky (school lit magazine) for 2 years, makeup crew for 3 years

Volunteer/Community service: Library for 3 years, Pet store for 2 years, natural park for 1 year, bakery internship for half a year
    Summer Activities: Worked in lab at Peking University for 3 weeks, Mississippi State Vet Camp, Cornell Summer College 3 weeks
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common app was maybe an 8/10. Solid but I can’t really rate it after a while-- definitely personal to me and it showed growth. Cornell maybe a 9/10; made it personal and specific to school (took this from @sk2001 but fits me exactly)
    Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): Waived right to see

Teacher Rec #1: English: 8/10 at least. She loved me.
    Teacher Rec #2: Math: 8/10. Had him for two years. I feel like he got to know me as a person; I grew a lot in his classes
    Counselor Rec: We’ve become buddies and talk about stuff! 9/10 (also took these from @sk2001 , sorry dude your material just really relates to me but I'm giving you credit <333 )

Interview: Over Skype, very chill, interviewer was nice and talked about herself most of the time
    Other

Intended Major and College: SHA
    State (if domestic applicant): PA

School Type: Very, very competitive public.
    Ethnicity: East Asian
    Income Bracket: Middle - High, which I’m grateful for
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection: I don't know exactly why I didn't get in. Not that I think I deserve it more than others (ofc not) but I didn't have low test grades or crappy essays. I completely trust in the admissions office's decision to defer me, all I'm saying is I can't give an honest advice on what I could have improved on. It was my dream school and I worked really hard on the application:)

Strengths: High grades, course load and test scores
    Weaknesses: Probably early high school grades and lack of major awards

General Comments:
    It’s a stressful process. I remember pouring over these threads for hours on end. But it’s exciting—you’ll be where you’re meant to be. Good luck 😊 don’t stress too much. (you da real one @sk2001 )
    · Reply · Share
  • skyeyesskyeyes 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi, I also have an extremely low gpa (3.8 maybe..). Do you mind talk a little bit about your common app essay?
    · Reply · Share
  • MirTabassumMirTabassum 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I was rejected, but they called my counselor and told him, they really wanted to take me but chemistry regents score was really bad. It wasn't surprising to me because itś an ivy and they don´t want students with even little issues.
    Major- Architecture.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity