Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

Replies to: Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 43,665 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Please refer to post #1. If it's not a result, as helpful as it might be, I'm deleting without notice.
  • CollegeDad2023CollegeDad2023 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Decision: Accepted

Objective:
    SAT 800 math 790 verbal
    SAT II: Math 2:790, bio: 800
    ACT (breakdown):na
    unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.9 guess weighted 4.5 or so
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 5 out 300
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Chemistry (5), AP phyics 5, AP Calc BC (4),
    Senior Year Course Load: heavy IB
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): 4H awards girl scout gold

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Track varsity and 4H w Leadership, girl scouts
    Job/Work Experience: Local Farm
    Volunteer/Community service: Girl Scout Gold Award
    Summer Activities: governors school for science, science research programs
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common App (8/10).
    Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
    Teacher Rec #1: (8/10) -
    Teacher Rec #2: (8/10) -
    Counselor Rec: (9/10),
    Additional Rec: Na
    Interview: went well

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Y
    Intended Major and College: CALS
    State (if domestic applicant): Mid Atlantic
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: white
    Income Bracket: NA
    Hooks NA

Reflection

Strengths:Strong testing and GPA and 4H
    Weaknesses: Come from state and school with lots of strong legacy students
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:I think 4h and girl scouts demonstrated interest in major
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: none so far
    General Comments :
  • gotosleepalreadygotosleepalready Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2018

Honestly don't really know why Cornell accepted me of all people but...

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): Superscored 1550 (R&W: 780 M:770 Essay:17)
    ACT (breakdown): n/a
    SAT II: Bio M: 750, Math II: sent two scores - first time 720, second 800 (took this one in October after 1 week of hardo studying)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): Don't know unweighted, but my GPA was 4.81/5.0 weighted. There was a pretty steep upward trend, though.
    For reference, at my school an A(93+) in an AP or Accelerated class = 5.0, in an Honors class, 4.5
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Don't know exactly, but probably about top 5% out of 400 or so students
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Lang and Comp (5)
    Didn't have the option to take APs until junior year, and there were only very few possible APs. I tried to talk to my guidance counselor but she was unhelpful.
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load:
    Full Year Courses:
    AP Calc BC, AP French Lang and Culture, AP Psychology, AP Comp Sci
    Accelerated English (required for 4 years), Strings Orchestra
    Semester:
    Wellness (required), AP Music Theory
    I received all As for the first term
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
    Didn't really have many
    National French Exam Gold Medal (freshman + sophomore yrs)
    MA National History Day Qualifier
    RIT Innovation and Creativity Award (this was a book award)

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
    Robotics Club (4 years, Software Manager jr yr, Project Manager sr yr), Violin (8 years, pit orchestra for the high school's spring musical, Rivers Youth Orchestras (3 yrs)), Anime Club (4 yrs), Japanese Club (2 yrs), Swim Team (freshman yr)
    Job/Work Experience:
    Intern at ECE lab at Northeastern University (unpaid, 4 weeks)
    Vascular Biology Intern at research lab headed by a Harvard professor (paid, 6 weeks)
    Mentoring kids to code by programming games and utilising STEM toys like robots and drones. (paid, started working senior yr)

Didn't publish any papers...

Volunteer/Community service:
    My school had required 60 hours of community service so I just put the two organizations I volunteered at
    Community Farm - used sustainable farming techniques to cultivate organic fruits and vegetables. Promoted environmental friendly practices to members of the town. Donated produce to the food pantry.
    Usher - Ushered for seasonal town concerts. Raised money selling concessions to fund the high school's music department.
    Summer Activities:
    Stuff mentioned above
    CIT YMCA (rising soph)
    Recreational sailing, e-skateboarding

Essays (rating 1-10, details):
    Common App: 7-8/10
    I personally don't think my essay was executed that well. I wrote about how I came to like screamo and punk rock music. I mentioned my previous experience as a child being forced to play piano by my mom (gotta love tiger parenting) and how I grew from that conflict: switching to violin, an instrument that I chose myself. I then compared and contrasted violin and screamo music saying how they both are freely expressive, though they don't seem to be (did some name-dropping here). Wrapped up by talking about how I learned to resist external forces and believe in my own power, proven by the progress I made with stage fright.

Engineering Supplement: 8-9/10
    This essay was pretty straight forward. I talked about my goal (what problem I want to solve) as an engineer, said why I was motivated to do it, gave some examples of experiences, then wrote about what I would do at Cornell. Mentioned some professors that I hope to work with, classes I wanted to take. I also talked about the community (even gender distribution in engineering, which is rare) and collaborative environment. Wrapped up by referencing Cornell engineering's motto.

I didn't get to read any of my recommendations.
    Teacher Rec #1: 10/10
    AP Lang and Comp Teacher wrote this. I think he liked me - I participated a lot and did pretty well in his class - and we talked a couple times outside of school. He is a genius and has a lot of experience writing recs (he writes like 40 a year or something)
    Teacher Rec #2: 8-10/10
    Precalc BC Teacher: I had a pretty good relationship with my teacher. We weren't super close, but he could tell that I was a diligent student and worked well with others in class. He told me it was fun writing my rec? But I'm not sure what he meant by that.
    Counselor Rec: don't know rating. I wasn't that close with my guidance counselor. I don't have a high opinion of my guidance counselor, because she rarely gives me helpful advice, but I guess she must have pulled through.
    Additional Rec:

Interview:
    Engineering applicants don't have an "interview" per se, but there was an opportunity to talk to an alumni.
    She bought me coffee and we talked about Cornell mostly. She asked me some questions about why I wanted to go to Cornell ED, but most of the time it was me asking questions about Cornell, Ithaca, her experience there. She brought a book with pictures of Cornell, so that helped me find things to talk about. We talked for about an hour. Her husband and all 3 children went there which is pretty crazy. None of them were in Cornell Engineering, sadly.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major and College: Information Science, College of Engineering
    State (if domestic applicant): MA
    Country (if international applicant):
    School Type: public
    Ethnicity: Chinese (don't think I checked that box on the common app, but I did talk about it in my personal statement)
    Income Bracket:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

I sent in a one page resume (it was so hard formatting it to be 1 pg. I made the font tiny. Decreasing page margins helps, too) but it didn't have a much additional information not on the rest of my application.
    While procrastinating writing essays, I made sure it was aesthetically pleasing. It probably didn't make a difference.

Reflection

Strengths:
    I think my letters of recommendation were quite strong. They probably carried me.
    Being a female applying to college of engineering
    I think a lot of my activities were stereotypical of Asian-Americans (robotics, violin), but I tried to make myself stand out from the crowd by addressing it in a different light in my Common App personal statement.
    I also have some...uncommon... extracurriculars/activities, which I was pretty dedicated to. Call me a weeb all you want, but maybe anime club and japanese club helped me get into Cornell.
    Fairly high GPA (based on other's results, it seems like a high GPA is really important to Cornell)
    Clear focus(es) related to major, as well as other activities to be continued in college (music, language)

Weaknesses:
    Not many technical accomplishments or nationally recognized awards

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
    See Strengths.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:
    Haven't heard from anywhere besides Cornell.

General Comments :

Hope this helps any future Cornell applicants, and can shed some light on Cornell's admissions criteria.
    Go Big Red!
  • amandalyn01amandalyn01 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Decision: Deferred

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1550 (one sitting) 770 math, 780 english
    ACT (breakdown): didn't take
    SAT II: 780 math II, 760 biology
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): school doesn't give unweighted, but 4.45 weighted
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 16/about 360
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Biology (5), Lang (5), APUSH (4)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Comp Sci Principles, AP Chem, AP Calc AB, AP Spanish, AP Lit, Honors Physics, Intern for the science department
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar, got book award from a college in Vermont, bronze medal on national spanish exam, two other things I can't remember off the top of my head so they probably weren't major

Subjective:

so my main stuff was theater which is kind of hard to describe all the various shows and whatnot i did but it was a lot throughout all of high school and then also for the past three years I've directed a play at my school for a competition and we moved on to semi finals every year which is cool cause leadership i guess!
    tutoring like five kids junior year for bio and math
    girls who code 11th+12th grade
    choir throughout all four years of high school (section leader for two years)
    dance 9th 10th and 11th grade
    girl scouts 9th and 10th grade
    Job/Work Experience: I literally work at a dairy queen i cant imagine that helping my application but hey i have to pay for college applications somehow so thats where i ended up haha
    Volunteer/Community service: nhs and tri-m, I don't have a lot of hours though probably around 50 in total
    Summer Activities:
    not really anything, ive gotten into multiple stem programs throughout high school for the summer but my dad has no money so i couldnt actually go to any of them
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): okay so for the common app essay I wrote about my job and all the people I've met there and I thought it was pretty good so I guess 9/10??
    supplement was a yikes cause I had too much to say about the school and too few words so idk like 6/10 it definitely hurt my application

Teacher Rec #1: AP Biology teacher 10/10 we're really close so hopefully it was good
    Teacher Rec #2: History teacher from 7th grade to 10th grade (he kept switching which classes he taught so it worked out well) 7??/10 he thought he had more time to write it than he did so it was pretty rushed but that's a-okay it was probably still good
    Counselor Rec: 9/10 okay so there's this whole process you have to go through at my school to take 5 aps cause they think its too much for some reason so my counselor and I got to know each other pretty well through that so hopefully her rec was good
    Additional Rec: didn't submit one
    Interview: didn't have one :(

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
    Intended Major and College: Biology at CALS (indicated molecular bio concentration in writing supp)
    State (if domestic applicant): MA
    Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket: $125,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): first generation college student

Reflection

Strengths: sat and gpa?? i guess idk theyre kind of average
    Weaknesses: EXTRACURRICULARS are so random and not biology related at all and also i had a recommendation letter from my theater teacher that sort of elaborated on all of them and my leadership roles in them but my guidance counselor didnt let me submit it, also my supplement was really very mediocre and sounded about as ramble-y as this whole post has been
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: CALS is all about fit for the school and i havent really shown interest for bio outside of classes at all, and also historically cornell has taken exactly one kid from my school each year for as long as weve had naviance to record that so i think they want to see who else from my school applies, and also im a mediocre candidate so theres that
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: nowhere so far, but i applied to UMASS Amherst, WPI, Northeastern, and Case Western early, and I'm applying regular to RPI, Rice, Johns Hopkins, and Brown (and getting into none of them probably)

General Comments : I was really sad that I didn't get accepted and am a little bit stressed out because I have to watch all my friends commit to colleges and now I have to wait until April to find out where I want to go - BUT I'm optimistic for the future and am going to try my hardest to turn this deferral into an acceptance :)

• sportychancesportychance Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Decision: Deferred :(

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): N/A
    ACT (breakdown): 32
    SAT II: N/A
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.6
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science, US Gov & Politics
    Senior Year Course Load: AP US Gov, Physics H, Contemporary Literature, Precalculus, 3D Design, Band, Marching Band

Subjective: This isn't everything b/c I don't have time lol

National Speech and Debate Honor Society
    Speech and Debate Club
    -VP Honor Society
    -Middle School Debate Tutor
    Nationally Ranked Marching Band and Winter Percussion

Volunteer/Community service: Stanford Children's Hospital Patient Ambassador
    Summer Activities: Cornell Summer College
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): All 10/10, tbh I spent too much time on them but they were super unique because they talked about my experiences in hospitals and why that has led me to wanting to become a healthcare interior designer and how Cornell is the only place I can receive this education

Teacher Rec #1: 10/10, had for 2 years of math
    Teacher Rec #2: 8/10, had for 3 years of English
    Teacher Rec #3: 9/10, had for 1 year, APES teacher
    Counselor Rec: 10/10, Vice Principal of school that I am super close with
    Additional Rec: 10/10, two professors from Cornell that I had this summer
    Interview: 8/10, she seemed to really like me and loved that I was the first person she had ever interviewed that was applying for her major

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Y
    Intended Major and College: HumEc, Design & Environmental Analysis
    State (if domestic applicant): CA
    School Type: super competitive Bay Area public
    Income Bracket: Upper-mid
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): 3x Legacy (both parents & uncle)

Reflection

Strengths: ESSAYS, legacy, Cornell Summer College, LoR
    Weaknesses: GRADES
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: GRADES
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:
    Accepted to U of Arizona, haven't applied anywhere else

General Comments :
    Super devastated b/c I'm not doing so hot in math or physics b/c my teachers are terrible so there's no way I'm getting in :(
  • LastPlaceLastPlace Registered User Posts: 4 New Member

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1520
    ACT (breakdown): n/a
    SAT II: 750 Math 2
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.65
    AP (place score in parenthesis): a 5, a 4, and a 3.
    IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
    Senior Year Course Load: 4 APs, two honors, and a reg.
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
    None

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): football, tennis, orch. I do a lot with all of them tho and have a lot of stuff to go with them. also I build pcs.
    Job/Work Experience: lifeguarding
    Volunteer/Community service: teaching kids
    Summer Activities: two service academy summer programs, two other programs, governor's school.
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): I gave it my best shot. 10/10 effort but I don't know what they count it as. Just tried to write about myself.

Teacher Rec #1: Math teacher.
    Teacher Rec #2: History teacher.
    Teacher Rec #3: Arts teacher.

It's hard to write about recs because I can't see them. I think they were good though so like 8/10 overall.

Counselor Rec: I do know my counselor pretty well so like maybe 8/10.
    Additional Rec:
    Interview:

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yeah, but it's need-blind.
    Intended Major and College: CALS
    State (if domestic applicant): Not in-state.
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket: High
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

Reflection

Strengths: Essays, ecs, and authenticity probably.
    Weaknesses: gpa
    Why you think you were accepted: I have no clue.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Pitt, UMass. Both with scholarship money.
  • IssyS134IssyS134 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    [asize=4][acolor=#008000]Decision: Accepted [/color][/size]

Objective:

ACT (breakdown): 27C (29E, 28S, 24R, 25M)
    SAT II: N/A (applied CALS)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): N/A (4.3381 weighted; school doesn’t calculate unweighted correctly)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 2% (14/541)
    AP (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load:
    AP Calc BC
    AP EnviroSci
    AP Psych
    AP Macro/ AP Gov
    AP English IV
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): several national art awards, dance awards, QB college prep scholar & NCM finalist

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): activism (LGBTQ+, animal rights, environment), HS drum major and librarian, biology & chemistry olympiad/ science UIL, dance team captain
    Job/Work Experience: making snow cones (seasonal job every summer)
    Volunteer/Community service: children’s STEAM museum & activism organizations
    Summer Activities: research, leadership training, marching band rehearsals
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): 10 for sure!!! I highlighted my essays so we

Teacher Rec #1: ap chem teacher — literally a second mother to me…she describe my personality in class and how my failures in school shaped my future (8/10)
    Teacher Rec #2: ap english lang teacher — it was a very late recommendation but she is amazing with how she describes her students (8/10)
    Counselor Rec: pretty basic I’m assuming (I have a pretty big class size, so not much room for personal connection) —> 5/10
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: N/A

Other:

Applied for Financial Aid?: well of course lol
    Intended Major and College: environmental and sustainability studies @ CALS
    State (if domestic applicant): TX
    School Type: PUBLIC
    Ethnicity: Hispanic
    Income Bracket: <$65,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first generation, association with QuestBridge

Reflection:

Strengths: essays, extracurriculars, awards & honors
    Weaknesses: my test scores (extremely below average @ Cornell)
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: definitely my QuestBridge status (it strengthens my identity as a URM); my essays also brought out my love for environmental science and showcased my personality
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: N/A

General Comments :

The college process (especially @ top 50 schools) is extremely random. Truth be told, this commonplace statement should be taken seriously: One “below average” factor will not deter admission. It is up to you to personalize your application around who YOU are and what YOU love. That’s all that you can really do.
  • cornell1923cornell1923 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member

Objective:
    ACT (breakdown): 34 (36 English and reading, 33 science, 30 math)
    SAT II: 800 literature, 720 World History
    Weighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.296
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP World History (5), AP US history (5), AP Lang (5), AP Stat (5), AP Chem (3), AP Latin (2-didn’t send)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP Calc AB, AP Physics 1, AP Econ (macro and micro), AP Gov, band, jazz band
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Marching band (section leader), Concert Band (All state and All District), Holocaust Transcription Program (president)
    Job/Work Experience: N/A
    Volunteer/Community service: part of two different service based clubs in high school and three honor societies with service requirements
    Summer Activities: Cornell Summer College (got an A in the class I took and also got a recommendation from my professor), three week band camp in August
    Common app: 9-I wrote mine about the bachelor and how I watch that as a feminist. I think it showcased my personality and was memorable.
    Cornell Specific: 8-I made it very specific to Cornell and it really showed how much I love Cornell.

#1 APUSH Teacher: 6-a good writer and I did well in the class but probably didn’t bring anything particularly notable to my application
    #2 AP Stat teacher: 6-same as above
    Counselor Rec: 5-don’t know my counselor very well so it probably wasn’t that personal but I was able to talk to her about a B in sophomore year that she explained in my rec
    #3 Band Teacher : 9-this was my band teacher who has known me for 4 years. I’m very involved and have many leadership positions and I think his rec was the most likely to stand out
    #4 Cornell professor: 9.5-I took a class in the summer before senior year through Cornell summer college and asked my professor for a recommendation. I stood out in this class and got an A. I think this was super helpful in my decision
    Interview: Went well, was only a phone interview because of the ED deadlines but we connected and I think I was able to show how much I love Cornell

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major and College: Government, arts and sciences
    Income Bracket: high
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Legacy (2 grandparents)

Reflection

Strengths: Strong essays and lots of proof that I love Cornell
    Weaknesses: Most recommendations were probably average and I had a B from sophomore year
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think the Summer College grade and the recommendation from a Cornell professor were the two biggest factors in my acceptance.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: had to withdraw all my others

General Comments : I highly recommend summer college if you think Cornell is your top choice.
  • ArianaGrandeArianaGrande Registered User Posts: 1 New Member

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1500, Math: 750 Reading: 750
    ACT (breakdown): N/A
    SAT II: Math II: 800 Chem: 780 Math I: 740
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.21/4
    Weighted GPA: 5.044/5
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 5/313
    AP (place score in parenthesis): APUSH: 5, Stats: 5, Bio: 5, Chem: 5, Gov: 5, Physics I: 5, Lang: 5, Calc AB: 5, Physics C Mechanics: 5, Comp Sci Principles: 5
    Senior Year Course Load: APES, Honors Human Anatomy and Physiology, AP Calc BC, AP Art History, AP Spanish Lang, AP Lit, AP Studio Art
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AMC Elite 8 Bracket, AP National Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction, AP Scholar

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Editor-in-Chief of school newspaper; Co-President, founder of Environmental Club, 4-year varsity swimmer; co-founder, and officer of Animal Protection Club; NHS, NAHS, NSHS
    Job/Work Experience: N/A
    Volunteer/Community service/Summer Activities: medical volunteer in public hospital in Uganda, Ecuador; political campaign volunteer; peer tutor, tutor at homeless shelter; write for local newspaper
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common App Essay: 10/10; Arts and Sciences supplemental: 10/10 I like what I wrote
    Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): Don't know

Teacher Rec #1: Physics teacher, good
    Teacher Rec #2: English teacher, good
    Counselor Rec: Really nice lady, great
    Additional Rec: Club adviser and APES teacher, don't know
    Interview: Great

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Will do
    Intended Major: Biology
    State (if domestic applicant): Ohio
    Ethnicity: Asian/Caucasian
    Income Bracket: Lower middle class

Reflection

Strengths: Test scores, resume, essays
    Weaknesses: ethnicity, major
    Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Test scores, resume, essays
    Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Didn't apply anywhere else

General Comments: Do what makes you happy, not an admissions officer.
  • bluefieldbluefield Registered User Posts: 9 New Member

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1560
    ACT (breakdown): didn't take
    SAT II: 800 Math 2, 740 Bio
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.85
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 2/300
    AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 AP Biology, 4 APUSH
    IB (place score in parenthesis):
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc, AP Chem, AP comp sci prin, AP Lang, AP Physics
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none :)

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Indian Classical Dance, Red Cross Secretary, NHS VP, V Field Hockey
    Job/Work Experience: none
    Volunteer/Community service: Junior EMT Member, Hospital Volunteer, Girl Scouts
    Summer Activities: Summer Research Program at a nearby uni (this really helped a lot I think)
    -Common App 7/10- not sure how genuine it sounded but it was well written and showed personal motivation.
    - Cornell Supplement 9.5/10 was really feeling this essay and talked about summer research and specific opportunities at Cornell

Teacher Rec #1: Ap Physics Teach, I've had her for 3 years. Knows me well and would have written about academic skills
    Teacher Rec #2: APUSH teach. Also had him for 2 years and he would have written about my personality and I've read some of it. Talked about me being very influential and how I mediate in class
    Counselor Rec: 6/10. Doesn't really know me. Probably very generic but must have been good.
    Additional Rec: 6/10 Professor from research program. Not sure at all how this was written, also didn't know me that personally.
    Interview: 7/10, pretty good but just informative and I don't think it had any impact.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
    Intended Major and College: BME, College of Engineering
    State (if domestic applicant): NJ
    School Type:Public
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Girl in Engineering

Reflection

Strengths: Grades, test scores, research program, essays maybe
    Weaknesses: weak in extracurricular relating to STEM,
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Only knew I got into UPITT before withdrawing everything else

General Comments :
    I think that I played my angles pretty well because other than the research program I didn't have anything that significant. However, I made sure to emphasize how even the least significant things shaped my views of the world and contribute to my motivation for wanting to study in Cornell.
  • nr2001nr2001 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited January 4
    Decision: Rejected

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1430 (660 English, 770 Math, didn't send)
    ACT (breakdown): 35 (36 Science, 34 Math, 34 Reading, 35 English)
    SAT II: 800 Math 2, 710 Math 1
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.38
    Weighted GPA: 4.10
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 123/391
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science (5), US Government (3), Chem (4), Physics C Mechanics (4), Comp Sci Principles (5), Macroeconomics (5), Calc AB (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: English Honors, Comparative Government AP, Calc C AP, French V AP, Comp Sci A AP, Microecon AP, Biology AP
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Eagle Scout, 12th at FBLA Nationals in Agribusiness

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Boy Scouts (SPL), Varsity Track, FBLA, Envirothon (Founder and Prez), Competitive Archer, NHS, Math NHS, SS NHS, Econ Challenge, HOSA,
    Job/Work Experience: Summer job at a vet clinic, job during the school year at Starbucks, campaign intern for a local political campaign.
    Volunteer/Community service: Over 400 hrs through Boy Scouts, 100+ for Red Cross
    Summer Activities:
    Common App (9.5-10, was really really funny and fined tuned, depicted me well)
    CALS Supplement (8-9, I wrote about my experience farming w/ my family for the poor family business in India every summer)

Teacher Rec #1: Econ Teacher, he really likes me and we've talked about my future a lot. (9-10)
    Teacher Rec #2: Environmental Science Teacher, she likes me and knows me really well. (8-9)
    Counselor Rec: Knows me pretty well, was probably pretty good. (8-9)
    Additional Rec: English Teacher, she knows me well, but I don't know well she could've been able to talk about me (7-8)
    Interview: Went well, but not amazing or anything. My interviewer wasn't great either.

Other
    Intended Major and College: College of Agriculture and Life Sciences - International Agriculture and Rural Development
    State (if domestic applicant): MD
    School Type: Competitive Public
    Ethnicity: Indian
    Income Bracket: $131000-$200000

Reflection
    Strengths: Extracurriculars, ACT score
    Weaknesses: GPA
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: One reason: my GPA. In a school where everyone has 4.5-4.7 Weighted GPA, my 4.10 is terrible. I fell like if I even got a 4.40, I would have been accepted.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: So far, Colorado State w/ Full ride, Deferred from Colorado College, Accepted w/ $9000/year scholarship to UMBC, Accepted to UIUC, Hoping to get into UC Davis and go there for 2 years and then transfer to Cornell, cause CALS has a 45% transfer acceptance rate.
  • jeffreyliu89jeffreyliu89 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @all4lax Is there any way I can contact your brother about hotel school as I also got rejected from hotel school ED1 and just wanna ask stats, etc?
  • skewliskewlskewliskewl Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 7
    DECISION: ACCEPTED

Objective:
    ACT (breakdown): 34 composite; 35 English, 35 Science, 35 Reading, 32 Math, 12 Writing
    SAT II: 740 Lit, 760 Math II
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10 out of 140
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Spanish (4); AP Calc AB (4); AP Lang (5); AP Human Geo (4)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Statistics, AP Comp Sci, AP Brit Lit, Robotics I, II, & III, senior thesis dissertation (highly competitive academic program)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National photography awards, AP Scholar with Honors, Cum Laude Society

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Arts and Literary Magazine (Editor in Chief); Varsity Soccer (4 year letter winner); Varsity Track (4 year letter winner); Activist in school community for LGBT rights

Job/Work Experience: Internship for technology company developing automated software tests

Volunteer/Community service: Writing Center tutor 4 hours/week

Summer Activities: Chile immersion, Costa Rica immersion, teaching myself app development

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9, I wrote it about my struggle as a gay teen in a conservative household, pretty good and convincing writing

Teacher Rec #1: 10, My AP Lang teacher, also my advisor and staff on the literary magazine--she knows me very well and likes me
    Teacher Rec #2: 7, My AP Calc teacher, he doesn't know me personally, but knows what kind of a student I am
    Counselor Rec: 9, my counselor likes me and is a great writer
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: N/A

Other

Intended Major and College: College of Arts and Sciences, Computer Science
    State (if domestic applicant): Illinois
    Country (if international applicant): N/A
    School Type: Boarding school (private)
    Income Bracket: > $160,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): gay, female in STEM

Reflection

Strengths: My essay was the best part of my application. In addition to that, I've been doing all of my extracurriculars my entire four years of high school, and I think that demonstrated commitment and community involvement.

Weaknesses: SAT II scores

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: TBH I had the gay card and the female in STEM card which probably helped my application. My grades were great, and so was my ACT, and I took the hardest classes my school offers. I emphasized community involvement and my personal experiences, and I think Cornell thought I would be a good fit for their campus.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Deferred from UMich even though I had withdrawn my application

General Comments: I know I was reading this forum like crazy my junior year, just focus on school and maintaining your sanity guys! If a school doesn't accept you, you'll go on to do even better somewhere else. You've got this.
  • jeffreyliu89jeffreyliu89 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @all4lax What are ur brother's stats? I also got rejected by Cornell hotel school ED and am really sad.
  • mcfamilyof4mcfamilyof4 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    are you planning on AFROTC at Cornell?