Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell RD Class of 2023 Discussion Thread

Replies to: Cornell RD Class of 2023 Discussion Thread

• geekgurlgeekgurl Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    @Kbat11700 What did you write your essay about?
  • Kbat11700Kbat11700 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @geekgurl

I chose to write about a moment for my common app. I wrote about a reflection and life lessons learned from a mildly emotional dillema I had when I was 12. A seemingly non important situation. It was humourous and light-hearted, but had (what I hope) was a mature reflection.

For my COE supplement, I wrote about how an experience with a current Cornell COE student proved to me that Cornell is something special.

So I feel like neither of my essays were about anything spectacular, but I believe they satisfied there purpose. Hope this helps!
  • DaedricSaiyanDaedricSaiyan Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    Hi guys, recent CoE graduate here. Feel free to ask anything :)
  • gobigred1gobigred1 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I'd be happy to answer any questions as well! Current Cornell freshman in CoE here, so I can help with any college application/admissions questions anyone might have.
  • orc222orc222 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for the help! For the required subject test for CoE do you mind sharing the subjects you took and your scores?
  • gobigred1gobigred1 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @orc222 I took SAT Math II and Physics and scored 800 on both. I did take Physics twice, though. Hope this helped!
  • CCTA334CCTA334 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Anyone applying Arts and sciences or for the math major? I am!
  • orc222orc222 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @gobigred1 it did, thank you
  • KajaetKajaet Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    I know it's not an Ivy-worthy issue but my son decided very late in the game to apply to Cornell. He had not taken the SAT II subject tests and only today realized (after submitting his application through the common app) that Cornell Arts and Sciences requires 2 SAT II tests. So he can't really take them until April or May now. Did we just flush $80 away? Would it do any good to call Cornell Admissions and explain the situation? We know he screwed up - just wondering if there is any hope he can still be considered.
  • altmusicmanaltmusicman Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @Kajaet Unfortunately, you may have flushed $80. Unlike some schools that indicate SAT 2 scores are "recommended" or "requested," Cornell does say they are required. Maybe someone is aware of some students being admitted without them, and they can chime in. One option would be to call, as you suggest. Obviously they won't refund the $80, but you could at least learn whether or not they will seriously entertain his application. Another option would be to switch the application to another major at Cornell that does not require subject tests (some do not). Obviously this only works if there is a similar area of study that interests him. I suspect Cornell would be willing to make that change for him, if such a comparable option exists. Best of luck!
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    @kajaet - I know of a student who was offered a spring admission a few cycles ago because she hadn't realized she needed the subject tests. The offer was contingent on her taking the two subject tests with some minimum score (not sure what that number was). She was an extremely strong candidate with a major hook so I'm not sure if that was an exception or something the college regular offers.
  • KajaetKajaet Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    @altmusicman and @momofsenior1 Thank you for your responses. He will call and explain his mess up and see where he ends up. Unfortunately, I think the writing supplement was his best work yet but very targeted to a specific major. Without re-writing, It will be an awkward fit in other colleges so He'll have to decide how bad he wants this.
  • stressed2019stressed2019 Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @CCTA334 I am doing A&S for the statistics major
  • Terris_Ad_AstraTerris_Ad_Astra Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    @CCTA334 Also applying to Arts & Sciences, for the physics major.
  • redcloud17redcloud17 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    edited December 2018
    Hey all! I'm currently mentally preparing myself to write the 650-word essay... :)